Exclamation

I've been turning on my A/C for a few months now with no probs. The other day, a burning smell started coming out of the vents and next thing you know, smoke is coming out as well. I immediately turned off the A/C unit (we have central air). Anyone know the potential cause of this? We're having someone come check it out in a few days but just thought I'd see if anyone had any clues as to the source of the problem.

Thanks!

Sounds like the blower motor burned up.
    "The road to Hell is paved with progressive policies."

Thanks...any idea of how much it would cost to replace the part?

It could be alot of things,blower motor,heat strips, transformer to name a few. There's no telling the cost, it depends on the bad part(s).
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Alot & it should........
    The Captain.

Lots of possibilities. If your house hasn't burned down yet, it may be safe to assume the problem is with the system and not leaking ductwork picking up smoke from elsewhere and speading it. As for system problems, it's good your getting a pro out. Could be fan motors, accessories, furnace problems and a variety of other possibilities, none of which are very fun. I would switch off the system at the breakers if you haven't already done so.
    Never knock on Death's door. Ring the bell and run, he hates that.

Views expressed here are my own and not neccessarily those of any company I am affiliated with.

Sounds like you have let the smoke out of something. And I have not found any parts that come with more than one smoke charge.

Y'know, if they made "Smoke Charge" in a 12oz can and charged a few hundred bucks for it, Payson's old company probably would have sold plenty..