Oil Loss on York YK chiller - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My mechanic adjusted linkage to raise pressure = to or slightly> than cooler pressure. Problem went away.
    A LITTLE BIT OF STUPID GOES A LONG WAY!

I see,
    it is to open the vanes slightly by extending the link and allow more gas to pass through, it has to be carried out very carefully as the FLA will increase.

HI Bklyntek here, just like to add something, this may not be the case here.
    Years ago, when I worked for York, filler issue with poor oil return. Several guys checked chiller,unable to determine problem, as chiller would rapidly lose oil. When it was my torn on call, checked and found top solenoid of (12:0' clock) of the volute,coil had burned out. At the time, we realized that wiring connections were poor (loose wire nuts),replaced sol.coil, new connectors,tight connections and problems stopped. Since this was located at top of volute,it opened to allow oil return DURING operation. Really hope this helps,cause it did have us scratching our heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Bklyntek
    When it was my torn on call, checked and found top solenoid of (12:0' clock) of the volute,coil had burned out. At the time, we realized that wiring connections were poor (loose wire nuts),replaced sol.coil, new connectors,tight connections and problems stopped. Since this was located at top of volute,it opened to allow oil return DURING operation. Really hope this helps,cause it did have us scratching our heads.
    Only one problem, you were working on a YT. The solenoid you speak of doesn't exist on the YK.

The diagram shows what appears to be a valve or solenoid, when I the thumbnail attachment. It reminded me of that situation years ago. Wow, I thought I was the only one up at this hour. Been on this jobsite going on 16 hours, just passing time during the evac.

gentlemen, thanks for the responses,
    still haven't got any clear ideas for this problem,
    will go to Vietnam next week to carry out some inspection,
    the tear down seems necessary to get the answer.

Not that it makes a difference, but the YDTL nomenclature is a YT compressor designation.

One question that wasn't asked is this...Is the chiller shutting down on low oil pressure? Or does the level just drop lower than expected, but returns after the chiller is shut down? Where is the oil level when the machine sits idle? I would put oil to the top of the sight glass when idle and run the machine and see where the oil level settles out. If it is in the "green" zone while running and I never lost the machine on oil pressure, then I would be inclined to do nothing. I have had YKs that will have a full sight glass when idle and drop to a bit less than 1/2 a sight glass while running. If you are starting with less than a full sight glass then that is just making your problem look worse than it is.

It won't shutdown, the oil level will slowly drop down to around 1/5 sight glass, then maintain in that level, the operator told me he stopped the chiller on 5:00 PM in the afternoon, and found the oil returns sump with full sight glass next morning.

on Jan this year when I was there I replaced dehydrator on the oil return line because I found the temperature of the tube back to oil sump(it is a YK style G chiller) was not so cold as there wasn't much dew gathered, it seemed helpful for the oil return and the oil sump level raised to 1/3 in three days,
    just two weeks ago the operator called and said the problem came back again, he also replaced a dehydrator, but this time it didn't work, the return line was warm, oil level keeps dropping, so they had that chiller stands by for repairing.

Quote Originally Posted by Taicool
    just two weeks ago the operator called and said the problem came back again, he also replaced a dehydrator, but this time it didn't work, the return line was warm, oil level keeps dropping, so they had that chiller stands by for repairing.
    Then this sounds like you have an oil eductor problem. That could be caused by a couple of different things. I wouldn't be too hasty in making it a compressor problem. One of the possibilities is a failed solenoid valve or coil on the oil eductor line. I've seen that before.

taicool, what did you find the problem to be, or did you fix the machine?

This is a few months old I'm guessing he isn't coming back to post his findings. If the line in the back of the sump is warm like he is saying either your eductor is clogged (which I doubt), or his refrigerant level isn't right in the evap. Easiest way is to check your approach on the evaluation, assuming you have a two pass with clean tubes and proper flow it should be less than three degrees. I'm not quick to say low charge with that garbage variable orifice but if your approach is high I'd drop the condenser level 5% or so and see if it starts working again. Just be sure to watch your discharge superheat when doing this also. You don't want it to get below 15 at full load.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12