Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Confused York flash tank level sensor calibration?

On a York YCIV 2011 chiller; how do you calibrate the level sensor for the flash tank? I am concerned. When chiller is in off mode. Flash tank level is at top of sight glass. Is that 35%? Unit says the level is 15%. It looks like more than that to me. Others have supposedly replaced this sensor electronic board (not the rod) before I looked at it.
    Seems critical. The Flash tank could overfill and wipe the compressor through the economizer, no? I would have two independent sensors and alarm if the the readings differed on such a critical point, but I'm too lazy to design, so I just complain, ha ha.

You really need to hunt down a manual for that machine. A lot going on there. Basically if the level is at half sight glass in the flash tank, that is 35%. That's what the machine should be shooting for while it's running. The cal procedure is in the manual. Depending on what sensor you have and what buttons you press and not knowing you can recal the sensor to garbage status and have to buy a new one. If the flash tank over feeds and the machine is running at a point where the Econ valve is open yes you will get liquid back to the screw but as long as it's running shouldn't hurt, it's a screw, they can handle some liquid. Look at your discharge SH, it will be way low compared to normal. Granted you don't want to run in these conditions.
    Superheat, that must be REALLY hot.

Agree with Turbomaster 35% should be about 1/2 glass. Now somebody correct me if I am wrong here, but as far as I know the flash tank level sensor can't be calibrated. You can adjust the % open ,closed, gains etc. The sensor Is not like the YK, I do know there are 2 styles: interchangeable head, and change the whole rod. Sounds like you need to change level sensor, I would also check your fill valve for proper ops.

For this York, YCIV0177VA46VABBXT...I have found some nice little manuals on the web, but they do not give this little tidbit of info. The facilities manager of the building may have something but I like to read in advance to give the illusion that I know something. There are a couple of these units on site which have had these replaced in the past by others. I'm sure they just replaced the electronics and not the whole probe. Perhaps errors were made.
    I used to deal with Hanson level sensors, same technology, in the supermarket world and the rarely failed. They were clearly calibrate-able with potentiometers. I see what looks like a button on the top section of these. I do not want to touch it until I know the ramifications. It's probably a secret for York to justify there jobs, even though it is a simple procedure.

I would not be shocked if they removed the ability to calibrate something. The factory did it? This type of level sensor has been around for 25 years that I know of in supermarkets. All were adjustable. I guess thats how they make their money. When I find out how to do it, I will spread the word.

mccan, it doesn't appear that i can send you a private message. if the liquid level sensor is the one that I think it is, you can calibrate it (even though the sensor has tape across it saying that it was calibrated by the factory).
    "Mother" is the name for God on the lips and hearts of children....The Crow

@Jayguy
    Your description is correct but the tape is now off, ha ha. I did not know my email was restricted. I have now changed that and would appreciate the help.

PM sent
    "Mother" is the name for God on the lips and hearts of children....The Crow

Thank you, Jayguy, I got it.
    I have been told that three of these level sensors had been changed on 3 other systems on this site by others when it was under warranty last year. They had changed the electronic part and not the sensor rod. I don't know if that is an issue with these, I don't think it would be. With Hanson level sensors I'd seen in supermarkets, we would just order the head. Here; They had the complete sensor and switched out the electronics, which I could understand not wanting to recover. I am going to go through an check them all. These look like a sensor I found on the web, CS01 capacitance transmitter. But are apparently a bit different with the 35% calibration.

Quote Originally Posted by jayguy View Post
    PM sent
    While you're at it. I'd appreciate one.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis.

The control strategy attempts to keep the level in flash tank to approx. 35% of the usable portion of the sensing rod. This is approx a 50% level in flash tank.

The feed valve maintains liquid level. The drain valve maintains SH. And the economizer valve controls vapor feed to economizer port on the compressor which provides additional sub cooling to liquid in tank.

An "overfill" should not crash compressor due to economizer valve is not on always. Only will be open when VSD >120Hz, level<75%,motor current<80%FLa, motor temp sensors all less than <150degF, and the economizer timer has timed out. That's for normal operation.

Quote Originally Posted by txhvac View Post
    While you're at it. I'd appreciate one.
    I will see what I can do. I am in Vegas all week with nuttin' to do. The little woman has some meetings to attend and that leaves me by myself all day....anyone got any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by jayguy View Post
    I will see what I can do. I am in Vegas all week with nuttin' to do. The little woman has some meetings to attend and that leaves me by myself all day....anyone got any suggestions?
    How long you gonna be there???? I need to go visit some choice customers, while you're gone.
    "Wheel" mechanics work on "Wheel" chillers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast