Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Need to get into duct design. A lot of installers don't give a crap about good air distribution. Manual D tells how to do it. ASHRAE Fundamentals Handbook 2009 Edition is even better. Get them and become an ace on proper air distribution / duct design and that should help you a lot along with load calculation which ASHRAE covers in the same book. Manual J is great but I like ASHRAE method in chapter 17 of Fundamentals book even better. Good luck
    I have studied some duct design, from the aspect of sizing. I had practices calculating the required size during my college course. I Agree with you, air distribution is critical, as calculating the cooling load required is not enough.

Thank you for leading me to the materials of methods. I am more familiar with ASHRAE, gonna start from there.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    Ahmad,

what kind of residential HVAC systems are predominant in your country?
    the middle east has a love affair with mini-splits,VRF etc.
    You are right, there is a huge demand on split-duct AC systems and Central AC.
    Duct designing is really on high demand even for personal houses especially the big ones.

We have big families that live together and build big villas, and they demand package AC systems and split-duct system. For townhouses complexes in some areas, they tend to use chillers and then of course ducts for air distribution, especially air cooled chillers.

thanks and regards .

Opportunities in Dubai?

Ahmad,

In your experience, how are the residential HVAC opportunities in Dubai? I am actually looking at possibly relocating to the area from the United States. I am currently just gathering information and verifying the prospects of making the move. Any insight would be greatly appreciated...

Cincinnati, Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestEstimator View Post
    Ahmad,

In your experience, how are the residential HVAC opportunities in Dubai? I am actually looking at possibly relocating to the area from the United States. I am currently just gathering information and verifying the prospects of making the move. Any insight would be greatly appreciated...

Cincinnati, Ohio
    Well, alot of residential projects for AC work. Big companies are controlling the market. I am not sure if you are looking to start your own business in here, or to join a company.

If you are thinking of joining an existing firm, one thing that i can tell you. It all depends on your expectation of how much you will be paid, since most companies here employ engineers and technicians from countries like India and Pakistan who dont cost much.

Regards

I am most definitely looking to work for an established company. Residential/Multifamily estimating and design as well as energy analysis are my strong points. What is a reasonable salary you would expect to see in the current market? Regardless of nationality... Or would I simply be overlooked as an American?

Thank you for the feedback.

I am most definitely looking to work for an established company. Residential/Multifamily estimating and design as well as energy analysis are my strong points. What is a reasonable salary you would expect to see in the current market? Regardless of nationality... Or would I simply be overlooked as an American?

Thank you for the feedback.
    Many factors must be considered in estimating the salary, the company need, your experience and qualification, and your nationality too.

Lets make it simple, I see you as an american, u may get high salary from a high reputation company in case if they hired you to be a leader or a manager. or if you have to do a job in HVAC that the others from the countries i mentioned before cant do. Anyway, I just know one case of an English man who has an experience of 4 years as mechanical engineer and a surveyour as well, his salary was about 6.5k US dollars per month. Thats not an exact or it may not be even close to what offer you may have. just an idea to give you. Moreover, you have to consider the cost of living in Dubai for example.

I hope i helped. dont hesitate to contact if you need extra details.

Regards

Thank you. It is of great help. I am simply trying to gain a broad overview of the market there. There is still quite a bit of "creative recruiting" out there and I prefer to have the facts straight prior to starting conversations with potential employers.

Again, Thank you.

Not a good idea to be out looking for jobs in a country that brings in so much migrant labor. Like wanting to get a job on a farm in California

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=dubaih&FORM=HDRSC2

Yeah. I want to work on those units.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonrunner View Post
    Not a good idea to be out looking for jobs in a country that brings in so much migrant labor. Like wanting to get a job on a farm in California
    True. But farm labor doesn't work on compressors that can easily be fried by an unknowledgable technician. And even a farm equipment mechanic that is worth a darn costs plenty.

I agree. For someone trying to leave a dilapidated market, the opportunity to make substantially more money for your family doing similar work seems fairly enticing. It would be a disservice not to at least look into what opportunities are out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmad Dubai View Post
    Hi all

In order to be an HVAC engineer and maybe a certified one, whats the best approach to develop myself, resources to read, courses or training.

The reason I wanted to focus on HVAC is because a friend has an engineering company and we would like to start a new activity which is air conditioning design service for residential as a start and then maybe light commercial.

I appreciate your co-operation. Waiting for the experts ..

Regards

Ahmad From Dubai - United Arab Emirates.
    Find a company and work for them. After you have helped with buying, designing and laying duct, calculate loads, deal with customers, go out on 500 service calls, all hours of the day, answer hundreds hot and cold calls. Install 100 complete systems, replaced 100 compressors. Made 100 mistakes, electrocute yourself a few times (hope your learn the first 10 times) cut your hands a thousand times on duct work. You will be halfway there on being a good engineer. Its not all in the books, you have to just jump in and get dirty.

Good luck

I agree. For someone trying to leave a dilapidated market, the opportunity to make substantially more money for your family doing similar work seems fairly enticing. It would be a disservice not to at least look into what opportunities are out there.
    Good point, but we're dealing with an already migrant-heavy market and for most of the technical fields in addition to menial labor, we're mostly dealing with slaves from India. North Americans are typically used for decoration in office-type jobs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast