Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Electricians are funny

Co worker text me a pic of this earlier today, I got a kick out of it.
    Anyone see what they did?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Both a/c lines are on one leg - electrician used space saving breakers.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

does it work?
    Parts Changer Extraordinaire
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Have tools and gauges, will travel.

RIDGID|YELLOW JACKET|UEI|TESTO|STANLEY|CPS|VETO| KLEIN|MILWAUKEE|MASTERCRAFT|

Obviously. They forgot to turn the breakers back on...

Quote Originally Posted by blitz View Post
    does it work?
    Lol no it has never worked. Its touch only one Buss bar, 110v out of both sides of the breaker but not 220 because its not on A and B buss bars

I've seen that happen before.

Quote Originally Posted by 1SikLBZ View Post
    Lol no it has never worked. Its touch only one Buss bar, 110v out of both sides of the breaker but not 220 because its not on A and B buss bars
    what do u mean it is not on a and b bus bar. It just needs to be a double pole breaker.

Both of these breakers are on the same phase (leg) of power. There is not a voltage difference between the two thus no 230vac.
    The 120v don't add to each other unless they are on different phases.
    I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.
    ― Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by allan38 View Post
    Both of these breakers are on the same phase (leg) of power. There is not a voltage difference between the two thus no 230vac.
    The 120v don't add to each other unless they are on different phases.
    In Canada & USA, each alternate vertical position is normally opposite phase, horizontals are same phase, so that picture the OP posted should work as 240VAC unless there is something else wrong. The only thing wrong in the photo is that you need a bar so that both breakers operate as one unit, and usually 20Amp double pole breaker, but I don't do air conditioning...

On 240VAC circuits, measure across the two "hot" leads, not to ground, otherwise you will only see 120VAC...

Picture from http://homerepair.about.com/od/elect...elec_pnl_5.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by enb54; 06-21-2012 at 12:55 AM. Reason: added picture for clarity

Quote Originally Posted by enb54 View Post
    In Canada & USA, each alternate vertical position is normally opposite phase, horizontals are same phase, so that picture the OP posted should work as 240VAC unless there is something else wrong. The only thing wrong in the photo is that you need a bar so that both breakers operate as one unit, and usually 20Amp double pole breaker, but I don't do air conditioning...
    The breakers in the OP are all tandem breakers, not normal 2 pole breakers.
    The 2 switch breaker marked "AC" occupies the same amount of space in the panel as a single pole breaker normally would, and connects to only one buss bar.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

On 240VAC circuits, measure across the two "hot" leads, not to ground, otherwise you will only see 120VAC...

Picture from http://homerepair.about.com/od/elect...elec_pnl_5.htm

Its hard to tell from the pic but Its only a regular size breaker so It only touches one phase or leg of power. Its a twining breaker used to free up space In a panel when your looking to add more equipment but don't want to do a service upgrade.

To clear things up It Is not a normal sized 2 pole breaker which would occupy both A and B phases or legs of the panel, It Is a twined breaker only touching one phase of power hence the reason my co worker only found 110v across the contactor when he was trouble shooting the unit.

PS: You are correct on checking power across both terminals and not to ground when checking for proper 208/230 power, Anything other then across both termials will be read as "Ghost Voltage"
    Thats the hardest thing I find trying to teach new techs that come Into this trade.

Quote Originally Posted by 1SikLBZ View Post
    Its hard to tell from the pic but Its only a regular size breaker so It only touches one phase or leg of power. Its a twining breaker used to free up space In a panel when your looking to add more equipment but don't want to do a service upgrade.

To clear things up It Is not a normal sized 2 pole breaker which would occupy both A and B phases or legs of the panel, It Is a twined breaker only touching one phase of power hence the reason my co worker only found 110v across the contactor when he was trouble shooting the unit.

PS: You are correct on checking power across both terminals and not to ground when checking for proper 208/230 power, Anything other then across both termials will be read as "Ghost Voltage"
    Thats the hardest thing I find trying to teach new techs that come Into this trade.
    OK Folks...

I guess we are not as advanced as you in the USA, have not encountered any dual breakers that only contact one phase, one more lesson learned...

I looked at my Alberta Electrical Code, does not appear to be legal here...

Thanks for re-educating me!

P.S. And you are right, this is pretty darned dumb!!!
    Last edited by enb54; 06-21-2012 at 02:35 AM. Reason: And You Are Right

OK Folks...

I guess we are not as advanced as you in the USA, have not encountered any dual breakers that only contact one phase, one more lesson learned...

I looked at my Alberta Electrical Code, does not appear to be legal here...

Thanks for re-educating me!

P.S. And you are right, this is pretty darned dumb!!!
    So, tandem or piggyback breakers are not allowed in canada? Is this why I've seen panels there that are available with 60 and 80 spaces whereas here in the states we were limited to 42 spaces. Supposedly here now, the code has been re-written to allow bigger panels with more spaces, but no one is selling them yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast