View Poll Results: As an owner/manager/HR person do you see post-secondary education as....

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good

13 72.22%
  • Bad

0 0%
  • Irrelevant

5 27.78%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fit the resume to the job listing! I see a lot of job offers where the person writing the listing is functionally illiterate, so I would take pains to not look too smart IF you chose to apply here. If I am going to work for a biggish company that appears to be successful, then I would include enough information to make me stand out above the crowd. Keep in mind that big corporations now scan all resumes for key words that were a requirement in the posting, so if you do not have all the key words included, you do not get a human's eyes looking you over. So now it becomes a balancing act to write something that will pass muster of a machine and be attractive to the HR person as well. Always pays to do as much research on the intended target as possible so that you are able to talk about the processes and equipment they specialize in and know what the corporate culture is like and reflect a bit of this in the resume or on line application. Good luck guys!! It is a competitive market for GOOD employees.

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Madera View Post
    Fit the resume to the job listing! I see a lot of job offers where the person writing the listing is functionally illiterate, so I would take pains to not look too smart IF you chose to apply here. If I am going to work for a biggish company that appears to be successful, then I would include enough information to make me stand out above the crowd. Keep in mind that big corporations now scan all resumes for key words that were a requirement in the posting, so if you do not have all the key words included, you do not get a human's eyes looking you over. So now it becomes a balancing act to write something that will pass muster of a machine and be attractive to the HR person as well. Always pays to do as much research on the intended target as possible so that you are able to talk about the processes and equipment they specialize in and know what the corporate culture is like and reflect a bit of this in the resume or on line application. Good luck guys!! It is a competitive market for GOOD employees.

I agree a lot with this. This is an employer's market and everyone seems to be looking for the unicorn. Most of the time resumes never make it past the screening software because of how strict the requirements on it are.

My mother's friend works in HR at a company (nothing to do with HVAC-R) and they had them run their own resumes through the screening process to see how many made it through. They couldn't even the the resume of people ALREADY working in HR to get through the screening software.

Doing your homework on the company will help you tailor your resume to meet requirements and increase your chances to get that paper into someones hands. Plus it's good to know a bit about the company so that you can show an employer you have a legitimate interest in the company and that it's not just about the money, even if it's a complete lie.

Being smart is a good quality. Granted they don't give a damn about a fine arts degree because that wont help them with changing a blower motor, but any labor, trade schooling, or post secondary education that directly or indirectly relates to HVAC is a good thing to put on a resume (so long as you can explain why it's a benefit).

Never take away good points for you, they can't hurt. There's no such thing as "over qualified" IMO. Besides, you're up against other people who may have a resume just as good or better than yours.

On a sidenote, I'm a newby to the field so take what I've said with a grain of salt.

Thanks for the tips guys. Definitely an employer's market in Ontario. Gonna look into moving out to the prairies so I can make it over for the black gold rush, plus shave a year off my apprenticeship.

I know there are a lot of mixed views about certifications but, wouldn't that help someone whose just starting out in the field / not even in the field yet? Wouldn't that show that the particular student / potential employee is trying to better him or herself in this field? I'm not a big talker so I can't exactly 'talk' my way into a position as my teacher likes to put it. He tells us that we have to 'bend' our resumes in certain ways and that its ok to lie a little to catch the viewers attention. Anything to get yourself an interview. I'm not that type of person though and I get the feeling that I'll have a tough time getting a job because of this.

I don't mean to thread jack but I thought this was somewhat similar to the subject.

I'd take professional certs and RoT's as a good thing - shows commitment to learning the trade. Lying on the resume doesn't accomplish anything good. You get caught in it, you can get blackballed. You don't, they can assume you are already trained in certain aspects of the job and that way you miss out on some valuable training. A good shop owner will appreciate honesty.

Thanks. That's what I was thinking but the guy says he speaks from experience so I really didn't want to question him on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Jigjoe View Post
    Thanks. That's what I was thinking but the guy says he speaks from experience so I really didn't want to question him on the subject.
    He might speak from experience but who knows what kinda shops he worked in. My personal sense of integrity wouldn't allow me to "bend" my resume. It's a bad idea to base any relationship on a lie.

It also depends on where you wanna work. If it's a place that's looking for "sales techs" they might even appreciate you spinning a bit of yarn as it's a useful job skill - you need a bit of "creative truth management" to convince the customer that the perfectly good piece of equipment that can be fixed on the cheap or doesn't even need fixing requires a re&re.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12