View Poll Results: As an owner/manager/HR person do you see post-secondary education as....

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good

13 72.22%
  • Bad

0 0%
  • Irrelevant

5 27.78%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post-secondary education, good, bad, doesn't matter?

This one's for shop owners, management staff and HR staff.. If you see post-secondary education like college (other than trade school) or university on a resume for someone starting out, how would you take it? I'm tweaking my resume, so I wanna see if I should trim some parts out or leave them as they are. Thanks in advance for the input.

If nothing else, it indicates an individual who is interested in bettering him/herself....even if it's not job-related.
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Thanks for the votes JM and anonymous voter.. Also thanks for the clarification. Time for me to crash. Getting up at 5:30 for another round of smiling faces, just itching to welcome a raw apprentice into their shop in Ontario's booming economy

I leave my out my other education on small business applications/resumes and do display it on big business. I have the feeling most small companies are looking for guys who are good but not too good so they will stay with their company. There is usually a problem when the boss thinks you are more intelligent than him

Education doesn't always equal intelligence. I know plenty of guys with nothing but trade school finished, that could run circles around most university grads in the brains department. I'm more worried that they might think I'm afraid of bustin' hump or gettin' dirty (neither of which is true).

If you put something mechanical on your resume like: I change my own oil on my car and fix the brakes myself...ect it usually calms their fears from my experience

Quote Originally Posted by Hace Frio View Post
    If you put something mechanical on your resume like: I change my own oil on my car and fix the brakes myself...ect it usually calms their fears from my experience
    Thanks, that calms me down a bit, too.. Got a few months of internship where I've been through everything from resi space heating to process heating, process cooling and lots and lots of RTU's/MAU's. Even on a previous job in the data processing department, I also changed toilet tanks, serviced the gennies, pounded rock in the desert, crashed bush in the Arctic and fabbed survey equipment in the shop. Left the education section as-is and hit 5 more shops. All out of leads, but will spend some time diggin' tomorrow. Will also be nice to work on a full night's sleep

Quote Originally Posted by Hace Frio View Post
    I leave my out my other education on small business applications/resumes and do display it on big business. I have the feeling most small companies are looking for guys who are good but not too good so they will stay with their company. There is usually a problem when the boss thinks you are more intelligent than him
    exactly, companies anyways will train all the employees for it's requirement. So they just see that you are not too good for the work. If they think, you are, they'll simply not hire you. Why? because they look for an employee who has less option and so that he'll stick around for years.

Quote Originally Posted by lustinchust View Post
    exactly, companies anyways will train all the employees for it's requirement. So they just see that you are not too good for the work. If they think, you are, they'll simply not hire you. Why? because they look for an employee who has less option and so that he'll stick around for years.
    This is a bizzare statement. Why would i want someone that is not qualifed for the job to stick around for years?

And forg the record. The chemistry and physics classes i took in college, made learning the refrigeration cycle and electrical theory rather easy.

The main thing is to check sites like face book and see the real person in action. Dont think if u deleted anything negative its not still there. It is just on another companies server,, who is harvesting the net.
    I always prefer a man who just had a newborn,, because if that kids smile doesn't motivate him how the hell will I.

sorry im sure i confused you more than help,,

Avoid profile picture on resume because ill go on a site like http://www.tineye.com/
    and ill know a lot about you. NIce trick dont tell nobody lol

If a tech job is what you want, no real degree needed.

If engineering or management is what you want to do, then it's a real leg

Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    If a tech job is what you want, no real degree needed.

If engineering or management is what you want to do, then it's a real leg
    Don't wanna get stuck in an office any time soon (at least a couple of decades), so I'll drive a truck for as long as my (currently) top-shape body lets me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast