Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

what would you do

I work for a light commercial company now and do mostly refrig. I have spent mosr of my time lately trying to get in as a chiller mechanic apprentice to no avail. I have a hood friend that does residential and us begging me to come work for them. I guess they really need help and will not hire people without a current employee reccomendation. Anywho they are willing to pay a great deal. Shoud i take the cash and do reidential at least until I can do what I truly want or should I stay put. I would get about a 8 dollar and hr pay raise. Also I'm not partial to refrig so no love lost there. But it seems like a step in the wrong direction and my only reason would be to fattening my wallet up. My gut tells me not to do it but I'm tempted because of the money.

Quote Originally Posted by cavalieri85 View Post
    I work for a light commercial company now and do mostly refrig. I have spent mosr of my time lately trying to get in as a chiller mechanic apprentice to no avail. I have a hood friend that does residential and us begging me to come work for them. I guess they really need help and will not hire people without a current employee reccomendation. Anywho they are willing to pay a great deal. Shoud i take the cash and do reidential at least until I can do what I truly want or should I stay put. I would get about a 8 dollar and hr pay raise. Also I'm not partial to refrig so no love lost there. But it seems like a step in the wrong direction and my only reason would be to fattening my wallet up. My gut tells me not to do it but I'm tempted because of the money.
    Change jobs an take a chiller course in the evening

Quote Originally Posted by cavalieri85 View Post
    My gut tells me not to do it but I'm tempted because of the money.
    Without knowing you or your situation.......I would say listen to your gut.

Why are they willing to pay you $8 a hour more then what you are making now? Are you that underpaided now?

I'm trying to wrap my head around this.

You currently work commercial refrigeration and you want to do chillers because you don't like refrigeration work.

A friend is offering you a job doing residential HVAC.

It would seem to me that accepting the resi job would put you farther from your goal and not closer.

Keep in mind that, while residential may seem like the thing to do right now and there may be a large earning potential when it's hot out, when the temps mellow out, you're all going to be standing around looking at one another and fighting to answer the phone when it rings. The refer guys are still at work. We might be slopping out ice makers or cleaning condensers and doing PMs, but we're still working.

Stay put, take that chiller course mentioned previously and stay the course. Discuss your desire to work on chillers with your service manager or the company owner.

Chiller work is a bit overrated. I guess the pay attracts a lot of guys. Well that and status which is stupid. I punched tubes and was a pack mule for a year before I asked to be put back on air cooled snd package units.

Nothing against the chiller mechanics but its not for every one.

Point taken. That's what I thought. I'll stay put where I'm at and wait for my chance. I really didnt want to do resi anyway but sometimes dollar signs are hard to resist.

move forward and not back, taking a resi job would be a bad move and further from the goal as pointed out already.

Check around the local hospitals and manufacturing plants in your area.

There are lots of chillers out there, that are maintained "in-house". That way, you can get some good general experience along with chiller experience....something that might help you with future decisions.
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

got many chillers in naples? last time I was there, it was mostly light commercial and houses.

Nope not many chillers I'm looking for a company to take me on as an apprentice just haven't found one. I'm willing eager and young and willing to move but with a wife and 2 little ones can't just up and leave town without a job to go to. Naples is a small market and there is tons of work in the light commercial, well mostly restaurants. Right now i do mostly restaurant work. We have a jot side department and we do beverage service. Tons of refer and a lot less ac work. Last time on call I actually got mostly hot side calls, fryers and ovens and such. Not exactly what I thought I would be doing in this trade. Sorry for the long response

The reason you are underpaid is because of the fact that the company you work for is primarily restaurant service. Restaurant owners generally squeak when they walk because there wallets are so tightly shut.

I would take the resi gig.

8 dollars per hour is a huge bump, and most resi companies if they are small family owned type companies do commercial work as well.

I would not move my whole family for a chiller job. You will be starting over either way.

Take the money.

What I do now is considered commercial buy only because we dont go to houses we get into systems up to 20 tons and that's about it. And restaurants definitely aren't fun but for a tech doing this 5 years to be paid in the low 20's an hour I don't think is underpaid. To take such a big leap in pay almost makes me nervous cuse if I'm then overpaid it would paint a huge target on my back

I would listen to my gut if I were you and take classes at night like mentioned above.. Few months ago, I got offered a controls job and my gut told me to take it.. Well, I got cold feet cuz my current job is comfortable and secure, so I didn't listen to my gut and now i regret it. Listen to your gut and stay closer to your goal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast