Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigjoe View Post
    What is it that a lot of employers complain about? I think you're misunderstanding me somehow. I never said I'm looking for a top dollar job, a new van, tools paid for, or an easy way in. I never got the job nor did I get a job offer. I was simply replied to from the HR department to fill out an application and would possibly be considered for an interview. Again, this thread was created to receive some helpful tips on what to look for when choosing an employer in this field, considering there are too many to count. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'm still in trade school myself. I have my email in this job search website and I get "job alerts" within a certain distance from my zip code. I believe the site is called indeed.com. Its a really cool site. You should check it out.

I'm glad you get it. I'm not looking to start out with that "dream job" but I do want to start out on the right path. Thanks for the tip

Just curious on what some of the bad things were that you heard if you don't mind me asking.
    The micromanaging thing primarily, I've heard it's an ass-whip when you're on call, but you're new, so you should be okay with 80hr weeks.

Just curious on what some of the bad things were that you heard if you don't mind me asking.

Well FROM experience at my very first Job in service. Got hired, the job sounded great. learned a lot. the kicker was i was hired around June time. Spent the first three months doing refractory work on boilers. Nasty job.. but again i learned a lot. Also, did oil piping and digging ditches ...grunt work. And i expected that being a noob... But when summer was over and work slowed he cut my pay.

Thats the bad stuff, he hired me with good pay because he had all this boiler work lined up and cut my pay when the work slowed. I found another job.

But again, it was my first gig. And i learned as much i could which helped me get into a better job. I didn't burn bridges, worked until i found another job and gave two week notice. He was a good reference to have..

Am I over thinking this too much? Or is this something that exists out there with employers overlooking resumes based on people's work history? If I worked at x amount of shops within x amount of time. That's probably my major concern in all of this.

Am I over thinking this too much? Or is this something that exists out there with employers overlooking resumes based on people's work history? If I worked at x amount of shops within x amount of time. That's probably my major concern in all of this.
    Yes you over thinking this. Your green, need experience. any employer that hires you knows your green so your past history will not be a factor. Good references personal and work will be a plus. They may not even check. But when you get into a HVAC job and this is going to be your chosen profession, my advice is wherever you start you stick it out and learn. a year or two will go fast. if than you what for whatever reason want to move up or move to another specialty like Chiller, install, refrigeration whatever you will have the last jobs experience to share with the new employer. They will know if you learned anything and if your the right person for the position.

Personally speaking, I don't hold it against someone if they've held several positions, BUT switching jobs every 3 months is A RED FLAG.

Thank you guys very much for the info. That's the info I was looking for. I'll download the application and I'll let you all know what happens when / if I get interviewed.

thanks for the advice on indeed.com ill check it out let us know how it went and what did they ask you for, certifications/exp

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12