Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to know which company to work for?

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before but, having been looking for a start in this field for a few months now, what are some tips in finding the right company to work for? I'm career driven and would love to create a long lasting relationship with my employer and I don't want to be that guy who jumps from place to place. I just recently got contacted by a couple of employers who sent me their applications for a maintenance position and I just want to make sure I don't get a bad start in this field by going to the wrong company. I don't want to keep making threads on "has anyone ever heard of ..." because I'm sure they are annoying but, is there any other way of finding more (unbiased) info on a company? This is hard especially in a state where there are a gazillion different contractors.

Quote Originally Posted by Jigjoe View Post
    I'm not sure if this has been brought up before but, having been looking for a start in this field for a few months now, what are some tips in finding the right company to work for? I'm career driven and would love to create a long lasting relationship with my employer and I don't want to be that guy who jumps from place to place. I just recently got contacted by a couple of employers who sent me their applications for a maintenance position and I just want to make sure I don't get a bad start in this field by going to the wrong company. I don't want to keep making threads on "has anyone ever heard of ..." because I'm sure they are annoying but, is there any other way of finding more (unbiased) info on a company?
    First start by looking at the companies profile an how they are set up.

If the company is driven by sales and marketing, and not providing solutions to HVAC systems design and performance, I would stay away.

If the companies that have contacted you about being a maintenance tech without giving you a full description of the job and offering you the opportunity to technical training to further your carrier, then I would run.

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before but, having been looking for a start in this field for a few months now, what are some tips in finding the right company to work for? I'm career driven and would love to create a long lasting relationship with my employer and I don't want to be that guy who jumps from place to place. I just recently got contacted by a couple of employers who sent me their applications for a maintenance position and I just want to make sure I don't get a bad start in this field by going to the wrong company. I don't want to keep making threads on "has anyone ever heard of ..." because I'm sure they are annoying but, is there any other way of finding more (unbiased) info on a company? This is hard especially in a state where there are a gazillion different contractors.
    What type of maintenance position , Commercial, residential, Or factory etc..

They specifically do commercial work. One of them, which happens to be TWC services, seems like a fairly large company in the state and also in GA if I'm not mistaken and they do both HVAC and refrigeration. I don't really care much about refrigeration but so far they're the only one who took interest in my email and are offering a maintenance spot. According to their site, they have a training facility as well. The other employer I mentioned was actually a mistake, so its really just TWC for now. Another thing that's on top of my mind is that the UA office I put an application in back in January will be picking people for interviews in July. I wasn't sure whether to hold off on job searching until I found out whether or not I got accepted or what. I know some people around here don't think much of the union and others do so I guess it would depend on who I'm asking.

@second opinion, great tips. Thanks

They specifically do commercial work. One of them, which happens to be TWC services, seems like a fairly large company in the state and also in GA if I'm not mistaken and they do both HVAC and refrigeration. I don't really care much about refrigeration but so far they're the only one who took interest in my email and are offering a maintenance spot. According to their site, they have a training facility as well. The other employer I mentioned was actually a mistake, so its really just TWC for now. Another thing that's on top of my mind is that the UA office I put an application in back in January will be picking people for interviews in July. I wasn't sure whether to hold off on job searching until I found out whether or not I got accepted or what. I know some people around here don't think much of the union and others do so I guess it would depend on who I'm asking.

@second opinion, great tips. Thanks
    a JOB is better than wondering if you will get a job. If you can wait and want to see what happens that's up to you. But i would go to the interviews and see what the pay is and the bennies are. cant hurt and will be good for you to see whats out there. good luck

I'm confused

You are a newbie with a job offer and you're thinking about it??

If you have no skills and licenses to offer than what is there to think about, if you want to get in the trade than take what you're given. When you have skills that companies need and want then you can be selective.

Well the point of all of this is to prevent me from jumping around, new or not. I was just looking for some tips on what to look for in a contractor that makes them good, especially in an area where everywhere you look, there's a different van driving around. Maybe things were different back then but, I think now's as good a time to be selective than if I were experienced especially when employers focus on that when it comes to work history. I don't know.. Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way?

Well the point of all of this is to prevent me from jumping around, new or not. I was just looking for some tips on what to look for in a contractor that makes them good, especially in an area where everywhere you look, there's a different van driving around. Maybe things were different back then but, I think now's as good a time to be selective than if I were experienced especially when employers focus on that when it comes to work history. I don't know.. Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way?
    Always research a company before you interview with them and remember when there what questions you want to interview them on. Researching and interviewing the company before you make a decision to work there will eliminate a lot of problems down the road.

what makes a contractor good is one that gives you a job and pays you for your work, I have been around for a while and met all kinds, some sell you the world and deliver nothing. Until you start working for them you will never know how any contractor is, and if you lolly gag too much the job can be swiped out from under you.

If you're a newb then opportunities are limited, if they are hiring you to do hvac than take the job, your first job wont be your dream job anyway. Now I see what a lot of employers complain about

just give them a try be happy that you landed a job I'm still in trade school but looking for an entry level job in the field, i want and need more hands on experience how did you land it? and advice or suggestions another thing you could do is ask co-workers what they think of the company if most have years working there it might be a solid place to stay a few years good luck!

I kind of like the way he's thinking. At least he is and asking questions before he makes a big decision. What if he gets a job, hates it, wants to jump or jumps before looking, again?
    I'd ask around, I tried supply houses, more than a few to get a handle on who was a better outfit to try. Also just sat and looked at who went into them, the trucks, the employees. Even asked a few what they thought.

I've heard good and bad about TWC, like most companies I guess, the techs I know have been there for a few years. I would say that's a pretty good measure of the company, I know the pay scale is fair. It's a little overbearing from the corporate standpoint, meaning you'll get micromanaged, but take the job and learn, try not to srew up too much on the customers nickle. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by jrmech View Post
    what makes a contractor good is one that gives you a job and pays you for your work, I have been around for a while and met all kinds, some sell you the world and deliver nothing. Until you start working for them you will never know how any contractor is, and if you lolly gag too much the job can be swiped out from under you.

If you're a newb then opportunities are limited, if they are hiring you to do hvac than take the job, your first job wont be your dream job anyway. Now I see what a lot of employers complain about
    What is it that a lot of employers complain about? I think you're misunderstanding me somehow. I never said I'm looking for a top dollar job, a new van, tools paid for, or an easy way in. I never got the job nor did I get a job offer. I was simply replied to from the HR department to fill out an application and would possibly be considered for an interview. Again, this thread was created to receive some helpful tips on what to look for when choosing an employer in this field, considering there are too many to count. Nothing more, nothing less.

Quote Originally Posted by santacruz714 View Post
    just give them a try be happy that you landed a job I'm still in trade school but looking for an entry level job in the field, i want and need more hands on experience how did you land it? and advice or suggestions another thing you could do is ask co-workers what they think of the company if most have years working there it might be a solid place to stay a few years good luck!
    I'm still in trade school myself. I have my email in this job search website and I get "job alerts" within a certain distance from my zip code. I believe the site is called indeed.com. Its a really cool site. You should check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Stamas View Post
    I kind of like the way he's thinking. At least he is and asking questions before he makes a big decision. What if he gets a job, hates it, wants to jump or jumps before looking, again?
    I'd ask around, I tried supply houses, more than a few to get a handle on who was a better outfit to try. Also just sat and looked at who went into them, the trucks, the employees. Even asked a few what they thought.
    I'm glad you get it. I'm not looking to start out with that "dream job" but I do want to start out on the right path. Thanks for the tip

Quote Originally Posted by Krzyd View Post
    I've heard good and bad about TWC, like most companies I guess, the techs I know have been there for a few years. I would say that's a pretty good measure of the company, I know the pay scale is fair. It's a little overbearing from the corporate standpoint, meaning you'll get micromanaged, but take the job and learn, try not to srew up too much on the customers nickle. Just my 2 cents.
    Just curious on what some of the bad things were that you heard if you don't mind me asking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast