Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face

Controlfreq will love this one

That's a turbo charger going on my Yamaha Warrior.
    I've done a few mods to the ATV for more power. But it just runs out of breath at the Cinders. That is near Flagstaff which is approx 7,000 ft altitude where you loose lots of power you had near sea level.

I plan on using this to make up for it

I got my header pipe to it hacked together (fun to cut, weld, patch, and reweld the holes you made on that thin wall stuff!)

Now I still need to make the flange and pipe going to the muffler. Then the piping to the filter and carb.
    (will have to fiddle with the carb to get it working until I get fuel injected).
    I also could not find fittings for the oil yet. The place to get pressurized oil form the head is 6mm and the fitting on the turbo seams to be metric too. Napa didn't have anything for me. I may have to make a fitting from a bolt!

I hope to have it working by labor day for a weekend at the cinders.

Blowing through the carb? wont you have trouble if the boost is higher than the fuel pressure?

*****in' !
    Luke 6:31

you've got way to much spare time!

An adjustment of the air/fuel mix seems alot easier.....
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Well, at least he didn't use a "refurbed" VFD motor as a turbo!
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

I forsee a great deal of plumbing in your future....

Given that you are running this setup to just get extra breath into the engine and would likely be operating at modest boost levels, the insane and possibly dangerous idea department suggests that the easiest way to get this to work would be to pressurize the fuel tank with a tap off the air boost from the turbo to the carb.

This assumes you have a fairly sturdy fuel tank and you have faith it will not burst some seam around 10-15psi. To do this you will also have to cap off your carb bowl overflow line and any other line attached to atmosphere will also have to get boost as well.

Needless to say this might be considered a bit hazerdous since the fuel tank cap will have to be non-vented which is not a good thing in the hot hot hot sun but there is a solution....find yourself a solenoid valve that closes when voltage is applied and use it on your fuel tank vent so that when you shut the bike down, it releases the pressure and prevents pressure buildup while baking in the sun.

Nice job building that exhaust header to the turbo. At least you did not have to do it laying on your back while under it

I am sure you can find some easily bendable large diameter copper line to use from the turbo to the carb

Have fun.

NO, no HVAC blowers on here LOL!!!

Originally posted by t527ed
    you've got way to much spare time!
    NOT!!!!!!!

I worked about 80 hrs in a week. I was on call until Friday. I did this much Sat afternoon. Rammer helped some too.

Originally posted by smokin68
    An adjustment of the air/fuel mix seems alot easier.....
    Well, the REASON you have to jet the fuel down at high altitude, is because you have less oxygen way up there. Less oxygen = less power! Ever notice how much power you vehicle looses when you go from say Phoenix to Flagstaff? You have like maybe 80% of your power.

So jetting the fuel down for altitude just keeps it from running pig rich.

A turbo compresses air to the engines intake. And when I told the Turbo guy I didn't need it to be whooping on anybody in any races down here, but my quad has no power up high and I can't climb the hills at the cinders. He said that's why small airplanes use turbos. It equalizes the air intake at higher altitudes. It also spools EASIER at high altitudes because of the less dense air. So in the end I retain my power AND THEN SOME to climb the hills the bigger bikes can. Many of the locals up there run Nitrous Oxide to pull them hills. They are bigger than the hills at the sand dunes. The sand dunes is easier since it's near sea level as well.

I started it once to test for exhaust leaks. I oiled the turbo bearing manually and only ran it a few seconds. You can hear the high pitch sound of it as it probably exceeds 100,000 RPM's! A ECM motor can only do around 1,100 RPM's!!!!!!!!!

I still have to finish the exhaust out of it and to the muffler. I am making the flanges all from scratch cutting and elding the steel.

I am not sure yet what I will do for the piping to the carb. I was going to TRY and feed it into the carb. I have about a 1 in 3 chance of that working well. Other than that I may go pull through the carb for now since I need it next month. Then on to more homework to fuel inject thie thing.

Here's a video of it. It's a 3 meg Real PLayer video. Rammer is the one helping me :P

http://www.paysonarizona.net/Home%20...uadTurbo_01.rm

Hey control freq. I wondered where you were. Typing as I was I see.

If my carb doesn't miraculously work as is, I'll probably pull it and fab up a "pull through" setup on the turbo which I'm sure may be a little funky as well.

When I get more time you will see me playing with electronics again to attempt fuel injection

I have an extra carb no to make into a Throttle Body. The carbs on here have the slider with the needle AND a butterfly. I can pull the slider and use the butterfly part. And making a spot for the injector as well.

It's going to be cool. And if I have some extra ponies, that will be nice. I know it would be capable of DOUBLING it's HP easy if I let it. But I don't want to rip the crank out on this thing.
    Liek I said, I need more power at high altitudes.

I've got a near 11:1 pistons in there, so that will have to go as well. Once it works, I have the stock one to go back. Then some sort of intercooler.

Well. I got the exhaust flange made (from scratch) and hooked that up to the muffler.

Rammer was over and we started it up. Used a piece of VACUUM CLEANER HOSE for ****s and giggles and he had it held onto the carb inlet. Anytime I hooked the other end to the turbo outlet, it would pressurise the carb and stop any fuel from feeding the engine!!!!

Onto plan B:

Going to remove the carb and make a mount for it. Feed it to the turbo inlet, then the turbo to the intake manifold.
    Hopefully can get it tuned good enough for my Cinder trip near Flagstaff next month.

Then onto working on the Fuel Injection again

Originally posted by PaysonHVAC
    Anytime I hooked the other end to the turbo outlet, it would pressurise the carb and stop any fuel from feeding the engine!!!!

thats beccause the pressure of the intake air is higher than the pressure of the float bowl. you need to increse the pressure in the float bowl, which, luckily is easy to do on most off road vehicle carbs. on most atv carbs there are two hoses hanging off of it. one comes from the side and one from the bottom. the bottom hose is a drain and the side one is a vent. you want to connect the vent into your intake pipe (the one with the boost in it) that way when the turbo pressurizes the air, it also pressurizes the fuel in the carb. now it should run perfect unless you run it on boost for more than about 10 seconds. the reason is that the gravity feed from the fuel tank can not overcome the pressurized carb. you will need a fuel pump to fix that problem.

Yeah that is what controlfreq said.

Some of the hills at the Cinders are a lot LONGER sand STEEPER than the ones at the Dunes.

It could be a good 10 seconds even with the power. AND with BOOST and using TWICE the fuel I did stock, I am sure it would not make it with what was in the float bowl

I would be kind of curious to hook up the vent just to see if it would run though. This Mikuni carb is very sophisticated compared to any other ATV/Motorcycle carb I have seen before.
    It has the normal slider with the needle on it. The slider is square tho. Then it has a butterfly blade after that. An accelerator pump (which never work on these). And several jets. The good thing is I could turn one into a Throttle Body for fuel injection really easy since it has a butterfly and a cam going through it to attach a throttle position sensor.

For now I may try the pull through with the stock carb to see if I can make one trip with it as is.

I still need to hook my oil lines up before I di anything more. We were feeding it oil and only running it a fee seconds.

ya I saw the company zoom spout I'm going to report you for that LOL payson Ha! good luck wit hthat project
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast