Dust Issue in Warehouse home.

We built a home inside a 60 year-old warehouse. Have sealed doors as much as possible.

Could recessed ceiling light fixtures with blown insulation be a problem?

Five inch thick filters in our heat pumps. Have dust issue. Film of dust forms in less than 24 hours.

Suggestions about how to increase positive air pressure inside dwelling area?

I am a General contractor with EPA license, but not warm air.

Appreciate suggestions,
    Bill

Tell us about how you get fresh air changes into your home. Where does make-up air for the clothes drier, kitchen hood, and bath fans come from? How big is the home and how many occupants? Type of insulation?
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Quote Originally Posted by teddy bear View Post
    Tell us about how you get fresh air changes into your home. Where does make-up air for the clothes drier, kitchen hood, and bath fans come from? How big is the home and how many occupants? Type of insulation?
    Regards TB
    The home is about 4,000 sqft. Ten foot ceilings. Two baths, range hood do vent outside as do the bath fans, but all these are minimal CFM. We don't cook smoky. so wife rarely uses hood.

Insulation: Walls have batts, ceiling has 8 inches blown insulation, there may be some leakage from recessed ceiling lights, but don't see any streaks. The return grills do get dirty. HAVC returns and supplies are in the ceilings.

Two adults and four small 20 pound spaniels, that shed.

Hmm, "fresh air changes", this may be the problem. We don't have any windows, or screens, so fresh air changes must come when we open doors.

I can make an opening in an outside wall of the dwelling and through the wall or roof of the warehouse to get fresh air.

I can make an opening in an outside wall of the dwelling and through the wall or roof of the warehouse to get fresh air. Should this be connected to the furnace or just into the dwelling to make up for negative air pressure? Should this be powered?

Quote Originally Posted by Amitayus View Post
    I can make an opening in an outside wall of the dwelling and through the wall or roof of the warehouse to get fresh air. Should this be connected to the furnace or just into the dwelling to make up for negative air pressure? Should this be powered?
    You need a filtered (merv 11) fresh air change in 4-5 hours. The fresh air should be powered and filtered. This 150 cfm of fresh air. What is the dew point of the outdoors? When the outdoor dew points are <50^F, your home is dried by the fresh air. As the outdoor dew points rises, your home becomes more humid. With +60^F dew points, you need dehumidification.
    Also the fresh air should be blended into the home. This will pressurize the home and reduce infiltration of dust into the home.
    What is the weather region that you are located in?
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy

I doubt that much dust comes from slight infiltration or from insulation. If the insulation was throwing off any particulates, this would cease after a while on its own. Is this a very modern space with lots of hard surfaces and no carpets, drapes, etc.? Some people think that carpets add to dust in a home, but they actually trap it so that it doesn't blow around as much. My home is much dustier now that we removed the carpet and refinished the hardwoods.

Quote Originally Posted by MicahWes View Post
    I doubt that much dust comes from slight infiltration or from insulation. If the insulation was throwing off any particulates, this would cease after a while on its own. Is this a very modern space with lots of hard surfaces and no carpets, drapes, etc.? Some people think that carpets add to dust in a home, but they actually trap it so that it doesn't blow around as much. My home is much dustier now that we removed the carpet and refinished the hardwoods.
    We have oriental carpets and hardwood floors. They do seem to attract dust. We vacuum with a Miehle and a Dyson. Both have hepa filters. But even when we don't vacuum for a few days, the dust still settles, noticeably, on hard surfaces.

It is likely that e track some of it in from the outside dusty warehouse. But something gets it airborne. Also wondering about health questions.

Quote Originally Posted by teddy bear View Post
    You need a filtered (merv 11) fresh air change in 4-5 hours. The fresh air should be powered and filtered. This 150 cfm of fresh air. What is the dew point of the outdoors? When the outdoor dew points are <50^F, your home is dried by the fresh air. As the outdoor dew points rises, your home becomes more humid. With +60^F dew points, you need dehumidification.
    Also the fresh air should be blended into the home. This will pressurize the home and reduce infiltration of dust into the home.
    What is the weather region that you are located in?
    Regards TB
    TB, I can do this. Would you recommend this powered and filtered air to run 24/7? How large a filter grill should I use?

I understand about the dew point and can incorporate a dehumidifier.

TB, I can do this. Would you recommend this powered and filtered air to run 24/7? How large a filter grill should I use?

I understand about the dew point and can incorporate a dehumidifier.
    The size of the duct for 150 cfm is about 8" with a minimum of 20"X20"X2" filter merv 11 would be recommended. You may start with connecting this to your air handler return at the entrance to the plenum.
    There are packaged units available like the Ultra-Air whole house ventilating dehumidifier that are all setup for this. They bring in the fresh air, filter, and blend the air in the home. They are connected to the supply side of your AH, fresh air, and an independent return from the house. You should run this when the home is occupied at a minimum. This eliminates the need to run your air handler when you want fresh air into your home and the need for a fresh standing dehumidifier.
    Regards TB

TB,

Thanks you for your swift reply! I have a GeneralAire AC500 installed between the supply and return on my 4 ton heat pump. Put it in several years ago, directly wired so it ran all the time. It will run 200cfm or 300cfm.

http://www.generalfilters.com/produc...aner_PT27.html

I disconnected it when I decided t replace the filter set. The lowest price I can find for the three filters is $200. Was not sure how well it was helping our dust situation anyway. Can't find any reviews on it. Any feeling on whether I should hook it back up?

I am looking at the Ultra Aire you suggested. Our home is about 4,000 sqft.

I see an UltraAire XT150 whole house dehumidifier for a 3600 sqft home, but it moves 412 cfm.
    http://www.thermastor.com/Ultra-Aire-XT150H/

The UltraAire 70h moves about 150crfm but is rated for a 1800sqft home
    http://www.thermastor.com/Ultra-Aire-70/

Should I be looking at the unit that moves 412cfm or 150cfm? You suggested 150cfm, but I don't know if you realized the size of our home.

I have a 4 ton heat pump that cools the main dwelling area (about 3,000 sqft) with a 20x25x5 Merv 11 filter.

And a 2 ton with a (8x16x24 Merv 11 filter) that cools the master bedroom area - an additional 1,000 sqft with 10 foot ceilings. Both are 13 seer r22 heat pump units. I am well insulated all over. There is an additional factor since I am inside a (unheated) warehouse, there is less of a temperature range than a traditional house. We also have no windows in our dwelling, just five outside opening, well sealed doors.

Between the MBR and the main dwelling has two open archs about 8x8 feet each, so there is some crossflow.

Lastly, I am planning an addition Galley that will have a floor area of about 1800 sqft with 16foot ceilings. I plan an additional 4 or 5 ton heat pump for this also. I mention it because it may figure into the present equation. This addition may be about a year away.

Thank you again for your kind assistance.

^

TB,

Thanks you for your swift reply! I have a GeneralAire AC500 installed between the supply and return on my 4 ton heat pump. Put it in several years ago, directly wired so it ran all the time. It will run 200cfm or 300cfm.

http://www.generalfilters.com/produc...aner_PT27.html

I disconnected it when I decided t replace the filter set. The lowest price I can find for the three filters is $200. Was not sure how well it was helping our dust situation anyway. Can't find any reviews on it. Any feeling on whether I should hook it back up?

I am looking at the Ultra Aire you suggested. Our home is about 4,000 sqft.

I see an UltraAire XT150 whole house dehumidifier for a 3600 sqft home, but it moves 412 cfm.

The UltraAire 70h moves about 150crfm but is rated for a 1800sqft home
    http://www.thermastor.com/Ultra-Aire-70/

Should I be looking at the unit that moves 412cfm or 150cfm? You suggested 150cfm, but I don't know if you realized the size of our home.

I have a 4 ton heat pump that cools the main dwelling area (about 3,000 sqft) with a 20x25x5 Merv 11 filter.

And a 2 ton with a (8x16x24 Merv 11 filter) that cools the master bedroom area - an additional 1,000 sqft with 10 foot ceilings. Both are 13 seer r22 heat pump units. I am well insulated all over. There is an additional factor since I am inside a (unheated) warehouse, there is less of a temperature range than a traditional house. We also have no windows in our dwelling, just five outside opening, well sealed doors.

Between the MBR and the main dwelling has two open archs about 8x8 feet each, so there is some crossflow.

Lastly, I am planning an addition Galley that will have a floor area of about 1800 sqft with 16foot ceilings. I plan an additional 4 or 5 ton heat pump for this also. I mention it because it may figure into the present equation. This addition may be about a year away.

Thank you again for your kind assistance.
    Regarding the fresh air cfm, the total air flow of the dehumidifier is not fresh make-up air. We typically recommend no more than 50% of the total dehu air flow be fresh air with the balance being air from the open part of the home. When fresh air is not wanted in the home but dehumidification is needed, the fresh air damper closes and all of the air flowing through the dehu is from the home.
    You need a minimum of a one 100 pt per day dehumidifier. Merv 11 air filters will remove the bulk of the dust in the air flowing through the filter. Hepa is ok but usually overkill.
    I would add additional dehumidification when you add your galley.
    Regards TB