Interview circuit

Graduated 3 weeks ago from my 2nd program, HVAC first then Industrial Tech. Been getting more interviews on the Maintenance technician side then the HVAC but they all go hand and hand. The sweet job would to be able to do both dual role for a warehouse somewhere and learn as much as I can on small and large tonnage systems. Last 3 interviews have been pretty fun and exciting exchanges. Went on a third interview today and they seemed very interested in picking me up, its a gas fireplace/spa installation business not too much to do with HVAC but at 12 an hour its a great start and hopefully a step in a growing career if they do decided pick me up, went on an interview yesterday for a company that does maintenance/AC work just about anything the customer wants in service which could help me utilize both of the skillsets my education trained me for, I was super excited in this interview trying my best to not seem super desperate to land this dream job of working on 2-3 tons units to 10-20 tons as well, I did nailed the interview but with the way the economy is and how much experience that is out there and me being a super green, heck neon green tech out of trade maybe the dream job will have to wait till my experience is 4-5 years in the field. It does feel good to be out engaging employers and gauging what they want.

You got the right attitude and that'll be a huge plus. Over here, things are a bit better for the trade and there are still many apprentices and helpers just waiting for a paycheque until they find a way out. I wouldn't worry about seeming "too eager". If I were hiring, wanting to be there would be a huge plus in my books.

Just get your foot in the door the $ will come with knowledge. Take the job and be a sponge soak up all the info and keep looking till your happy. It took me 2 years of looking with a G2 gas lic to find a refer journeyman to take me on as an apprentice while I was waiting I was changing 18 wheeler tires on the side of the highway. I wish I was working in something remotely close to HVAC

Thanks moonrunner, I would be happy just getting the water for the seasoned techs or getting parts, changing filters or cleaning up the shop for the first couple months just to be close to some motors or units I know I can contribute just don't want to sit on the bench all summer while everyone is in the game so to speak, what is makes things even tougher is the fact this spring and summer is pretty mild in California terms in the central valley heck this weekend is first time we are going to crack the 100 degree mark this year, that usually happens in April. Jobs are obviously tied to the season and heat does cause alot of systems to go down etc.. and i know it sounds pretty cruel but I was wishing for hot ambients when I was in trade last winter because I knew it would cause for brighter employment opportunities during the cooling season Well have a cool one

We have had a pretty warm spring and expect the same for the summer. Should be good for the local shops.

Thanks for the advice #1CDNTECH and used it as soon as I got the call back from the Spa/Gas fire installation business. They offered me the position and what you said about working in another job for a couple years and still striving to get in on the trade resonated with me, so I took the position. I am going dive in and sponge up as much possible in this position, and will attend HVAC college courses in the nights in the fall keeping HVAC close to my end goal and do my best to work for the company that picked me up for serveral years while still training up on HVAC stuff and getting as much hands on I can on A/C's on my spare time and if the company rewards me several years down the line after I have proved my worth, then I will stay if not will move on to A/C arena etc..
    Feel pretty fortunate that something came up, guess I won't be on the sidelines for long, have a cool one guys

Congrats.. Your current job will also give you a nice little foundation if you ever decide to get into process heating later on down the line.

thanks again and going to sponge it up as much as I can, but my love is HVAC work, was on a roof diagnosing a bad module on an ID ECM blower, it was 106 outside and I didn't mind. It just felt good being on a roof and not in a class room or some air condition lab doing some odd ball fault simulation. You guys have a happy fathers day and be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by ashtree View Post
    thanks again and going to sponge it up as much as I can, but my love is HVAC work, was on a roof diagnosing a bad module on an ID ECM blower, it was 106 outside and I didn't mind. It just felt good being on a roof and not in a class room or some air condition lab doing some odd ball fault simulation. You guys have a happy fathers day and be safe.
    I'm pretty sure that process heating falls under "H" I know plenty of guys who might work on towers and chillers today and hit big boilers and industrial dryers tomorrow. You don't have to limit yourself to occupied space delta-T unless it's your choice.