need a helper? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: need a helper?

Theapprentice10:
    It depends where you wanna go, and what kind of work you want to do. If you're coming to Calgary, my company is looking to hire a few green guys in August to do maintenances.
    There's like 100 companies in Calgary doing various types of work.

Moon runner: 4 years is way too long for a gas b/2
    I think Alberta has struck a good balance here with 2 years for gas B and one more for A.
    Or you can get your gas B with your plumbing ticket.

hey syndicated, I am not picky about where in Alberta or BC. The hard part is that I would like to have an apprenticeship lined up before selling my house and heading out there. So any leads from anyone would be great

After today's taste of the job market in the trade, I'm more open to moving lol The best was "I'd take you on as a helper but won't have any apprenticeships for 1.5-2 years" (very nice guy; the honesty was refreshing as many shops like to string helpers along, offering them the world) and the worst was a tie between "Are you union? We only hire through the union" and "The experience that you have means NOTHING to me. Do you know how many guys like you come here?".. Or maybe "I'll pass it on to HR" [the place is 1hr away in light traffic and they do post an e-mail address for those who wanna e-mail the HR directly]

Note: I'm currently being a bit picky and only hitting shops that do ICI work, haven't gone to any resis just yet

Yeah, that's unlikely.
    No one's going to hire you unseen, the crazy oil boom days of '06-07 are gone.
    Fly out, set up some interviews and see what happens.
    The point you need to take home is that *you* control the apprenticeship. You sign up yourself, you go to school when you want and you decide when you get your ticket. The employer only signs off on your hours.

Day 2 looked a bit better after 250km of Toronto driving...
    -2 went to "HR" (at least one was put in an envelope, so chances are it won't make it into the "blue HR")
    -2 went to the managers (even got a manager's card for f/u)
    -1 union-only
    -0 powertripping put-downs

Fresh out of leads for the scope of work I wanna get hired in, so tomorrow it'll be sleeping in, research/planning, yardwork and a couple of extra hours at work.

Quote Originally Posted by syndicated View Post
    Theapprentice10:
    It depends where you wanna go, and what kind of work you want to do. If you're coming to Calgary, my company is looking to hire a few green guys in August to do maintenances.There's like 100 companies in Calgary doing various types of work.

Moon runner: 4 years is way too long for a gas b/2
    I think Alberta has struck a good balance here with 2 years for gas B and one more for A.
    Or you can get your gas B with your plumbing ticket.
    Ths is a necro post now,

But what company is that AK or Service Experts?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12