Question communication controls meter

Need some help for my son.
    Thanks for any help in advance. My son finally got back into HVAC and joined one of the largest co. in our area. He started out about five months ago doing grunt commercial installs.( piss and moan i'm not learning anything) I laughed and proceeded to tell him all he learned, he chuckled and said yeah. Well turns out on a few occasions they ran into a few snags and he came up with the remedies. ( foreman called him a smart ass and laughed ). I'm guessing the word got back where it needed to and they want to move him into HVAC service/communication service. Sorry for all the hot air guess I'm just proud of him and wanted to tell someone. So to my question, he tells me he wants a good HVAC meter so I tell him the fluke 116/322 kit would be a good starter, but then he dropped the communication controls aspect on me. I've been in the field for 25 years and don't know anything about the communication systems or what meter would be sufficient for set up / service, any info would be greatly appreciated.

THe 87 V or 28ii do a lot that someone in controls would need. I would go that route. He won't outgrow one of them.. ALso the difference between is mainly the 28ii is much more rugged and waterproof.
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Thanks Pascone I'll look at the specs and let him know.

I think you're getting hosed here. There's nothing that an apprentice will need to troubleshoot that can't be done with the 116/322. There are no meaningful measurements that can be taken from most communication links with a digital multi-meter. Communicating controls for residential and light commercial equipment function the same way that traditional electronic and electro-mechanical controls function; that is input => output.

Pascone is right about the 87, though. That's a quality instrument. I can't speak to the 28II.

"There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

there were a few differences between 2 . Band width 20 khz for the 28ii and non for the 116. Counts 6,000 to 20,000
    resistance 40 to 50 m ohm
    frequency 50 to 200 khz
    conductance 0 to 60 ns
    Plus a few more, I'm not sure what relevant for his application.
    Thanks

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Just got the Amprobe ACD51NAV Meter. Clamp on with AC DC voltage functions, Hz, Peak voltage, amps, watts, power factor, capacitance, microamps, temperature (K type thermocouple), phase rotation, and a few other readings.

Since there is a push by utilities to prove efficiency ratings in 2014 wanted to get something that did power factor.

Without placing it on a scales the heft is much heavier than other brand that I have.

Will make a thread about it when I get some road mileage on it>

Got it through TruTech Tools
    Aircraft Mechanical Accessories Technician. The Air Force changed the job title to Air Craft Environmental Systems Technician. But I've decided I'll always be a Mech Acc.