My colleague told me this is a bad idea for my residential home: large hole in roof, renting a crane, very noisy. thoughts? It seemed like the only way given my home's tight layout for central air.

Check the wall of shame for many threads regarding rooftop deathtraps. I'm sure Payson would have some input here. Personally, I'd rather hide the unit in the backyard than on the roof for all to see.
    Never knock on Death's door. Ring the bell and run, he hates that.

Views expressed here are my own and not neccessarily those of any company I am affiliated with.

It mostly blows for the service tech, Although the con densor coil does not get dirty/clogged as fast. How tight is your yard that you cant put a condensor on the ground?????????????????????

If its a flat roof the it should be ok, it shouldnt be noisy if installed properly with noise reduction in mind, I like package units actually because they are less noisy, you dont have any equipment in the house to make noise.

If I were to install I would size and acoustically insulate duct properly, probably oversize a tad on the duct. I would also take as many measures as possible to eliminate vibration that could occur.

Crane rental is nothing to worry about, your contractor will have a crane in and out in 30 minutes and it doesnt cost a fortune.

And for the large hole in roof, Who cares? It will only be as large as the ducts under the roof curb, and everything will be sealed good as new by your hvac or roof contractor.

harder for someone to steal, where you're at thats the big benefit. residential package units are pretty quiet.

[Edited by t527ed on 07-21-2006 at 08:51 PM]

ooooooops