Hello,
    3 days ago, I have 3.5 ton 14 Seer Goodman Condenser with matching a-coil and furnace installed by a local contractor. During the start up process, I noticed the technician did not follow the instruction in the manual. Manual suggests the vacuum pump be run for min 30 minutes, he probably vacuumed the lines for 15 minutes. Also, to measure the super heat, he did not follow the chart provided by the manual. When I asked, he said he had his own chart that he uses for measuring super heat. In addition, he said factory charged refrigerant was enough that he was not going to add refrigerant to the system. But manual requires that if the refrigerant lines are more than 15 feet [mine is 32] refrigerant be added. When I mentioned this to him, he said his test results did not show more refrigerant is needed, nevertheless he finally added some. In the end, the tech told me if I am getting 20F difference between supply and return air, then the system is working fine and this is what matters. Based on his temperature measurement he told me I am getting 20 F difference, so everything is OK. Does that sound right to you? Is this a common practice to ignore factory standard and follow a chart the tech familiar with to start the system up?
    Thanks in advance for the info.
    Isaac

Low bid?

Originally posted by isa540
    Is this a common practice to ignore factory standard and follow a chart the tech familiar with to start the system up?
    Thanks in advance for the info.
    Isaac
    Only if you know what your doing, If you don't then you read the factory manual, do you also read Doctors Digest when your Doc. is performing surgery on you and instruct him on the procedure?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Only if you know what your doing, If you don't then you read the factory manual, do you also read Doctors Digest when your Doc. is performing surgery on you and instruct him on the procedure? [/B][/QUOTE]

Well Said!
    We have done so much for so long with so little, that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Originally posted by BSCHVAC
    Low bid?
    no it wasn't the low bid. In general, the quality of workmanship was satisfactory, I was just curious why the factory recommendation not followed during the start up..
    However, the end result is that the AC is working fine and is cooling the home in spite of not complying with manual's recommendation.
    As MrBillpro stated, he probably knew what he was doing and did not want to bother with my questions I guess.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    I'd agree with your thoughts,follow the manufacture's guide.

You have every right to ask here.

My guess is,they may have skipped other steps as well.

Yes I am so sorry I forgot could every a/c company here please post pics of your guys reading the manuals that come with the equipment there installing, I know this is a practice of every a/c company sorry about that.

After setting over 100 RUUD condensers this year we still do it.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Our installers are to pull a vacuum until they get below 500 microns and can old at least 500.

They are to use the manfacturers charging chart for the unit they are installing. I tend not to trust that the factory got the initial charge right. We'll see short line runs where we have to add and long where we remove.

20 drop is great but an undercharged system on small duct system can do that easily. In steamy weather, 15 may be all a unit will do. Not a good judge of accurate charge.

I've read installation manuals before, I've lucked out because none of mine were step by step instructions but rather system by system, ie; this is how we do the vent pipe...or this is how we do the gas pipe...I can sing all those songs from memory. My favorite parts are the ones that cover those tricky dip switches and programing some of those god forsaken thermostats

I've had customers say to me: "I'm paying $$$$$$ per hour to have you sit here and read a book....are you saying that you are not sure of what you are doing..."

IcyFlame

Re: I've had customers say to me: "I'm paying $$$$$$ per hour to have you sit here and read a book....are you saying that you are not sure of what you are doing..."

If these loser customers would read some of the stuff, they would realize

HVAC companies don't all install the same manuf, model, size and version unit

therefore, changes happen and if you don't follow instructions, you'll have poor performance.

This is the other extreme from the know it all engineers who want system modifications. (I say this just based on reading HVAC Talk threads).

Those customers are probably pissed because they cannot read. Or too lazy.