have you switched from propane to heat pump - i want to hear from you
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    how do you like it?

did it prove to be cheaper?

does it keep your house comfortable?

would you do it again if you did all over?

let me know any pros and cons?

thx,
    mike

Originally posted by miandsh2000
    how do you like it?
    Love it!

did it prove to be cheaper?
    Will depend on LP and Electric costs in your area. Do you know what each fuel source costs? If so, I can tell you what the operational cost are for both fuels.

does it keep your house comfortable?
    Yes, usually the unit will operate longer which will provide better air filtration, even out room temperatures and will tighten up the temperature (hi to low) to a closer range.

would you do it again if you did all over?
    Definately!

let me know any pros and cons?
    Pros:

1.) usually cost less to operate
    2.) longer run times for better filtration
    3.) brings temps of home up slower to tighten the temperature range
    4.) better humidification (when humidifier is installed)
    5.) choice of fuel source depending on current utility costs

Cons:

1.) cooler supply temps
    2.) cooler supply temps when running in defrost mode (depending on equipment installed)
    3.) there are less contractors that are educated on these systems

lp - 2.399 per gallon

electric - .08 per KWH

put in your profile where you live --
    & which big city you are near --
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

lp - 2.399 per gallon

electric - .08 per KWH
    LP at 2.399 / Gal will be the following for 1 Million Btu of heat put into the space:

70% Furnace $ 37.45
    80% Furnace $ 32.77
    90% Furnace $ 29.13
    92% Furnace $ 28.50
    94% Furnace $ 27.89

Straight electric strip heat at a cost of .08 / KWH will cost $ 23.43 per million Btu.

HP will cost the following rates depending on outdoor temperature and COP (efficiency of HP).

2.0 $ 11.71 per MBtu
    2.2 $ 10.64 per MBtu
    2.5 $ 9.37 per MBtu
    2.6 $ 9.01 per MBtu
    2.7 $ 8.68 per MBtu
    3.0 $ 7.81 per MBtu
    3.3 $ 7.09 per MBtu
    3.5 $ 6.69 per MBtu
    3.8 $ 6.16 per MBtu
    4.3 $ 5.44 per MBtu

Which would you prefer?

The biggest drawback (depending on where you live) would be the air comming out of the registers with a propane furnace is around 120-130 degrees give or take a few. But with an average heat pump it will be around 90-100 degrees. If you have a register right beside your favorite recliner you will notice it.

In the winter, the colder it gets outside the longer it will run. Some have outside thermostats that shut the pump off and switch to the electric heat at what is refered to as a balance point. Some heat pumps do not have that and will run long cycles trying to heat the house if it gets cold out.

One other thing that might be considered a con. The average lifetime of a heat pump is slightly shorter than an a/c because it runs both heating and cooling season.

You can have a heat pump installed on your propane furnace and use the propane for very cold climates. I use a 14 seer pump on an oil furnace and have an outside stat switch the pump off and the oil on around 23-24 degrees. But I live in Southern Ohio

Originally posted by voleye
    Some have outside thermostats that shut the pump off and switch to the electric heat at what is refered to as a balance point. Some heat pumps do not have that and will run long cycles trying to heat the house if it gets cold out.
    Not true, the HP continues to run and the unit will bring on AUX electric strip heaters to make up the difference between what the HP can produce and the homes requirements.

The only time the HP will shut off is in a case where you have a Dual Fuel system. HP with Gas backup.

You can have a heat pump installed on your propane furnace and use the propane for very cold climates.
    With his cost of fuels, he'd be better off backing up the HP with electric strips.

keep propane add heat pump with it

Originally posted by Jultzya
    lp - 2.399 per gallon

electric - .08 per KWH
    LP at 2.399 / Gal will be the following for 1 Million Btu of heat put into the space:

70% Furnace $ 37.45
    80% Furnace $ 32.77
    90% Furnace $ 29.13
    92% Furnace $ 28.50
    94% Furnace $ 27.89

Straight electric strip heat at a cost of .08 / KWH will cost $ 23.43 per million Btu.

HP will cost the following rates depending on outdoor temperature and COP (efficiency of HP).

2.0 $ 11.71 per MBtu
    2.2 $ 10.64 per MBtu
    2.5 $ 9.37 per MBtu
    2.6 $ 9.01 per MBtu
    2.7 $ 8.68 per MBtu
    3.0 $ 7.81 per MBtu
    3.3 $ 7.09 per MBtu
    3.5 $ 6.69 per MBtu
    3.8 $ 6.16 per MBtu
    4.3 $ 5.44 per MBtu

Which would you prefer?
    A gigajoule (GJ) of Natural gas costs approx $10 which is about 1 million btu. So a lower COP rated HP would not save significant $? We use approx 60 GJ's per year.

I'd like to jump into this thread if I may. I'm going to replace my condensor in the fall. I'm wondering if I should spend the extra few hundred bucks and get a heat pump.

I live in New England where there aren't alot of heat pumps. Everytime I mention the words "heat pump",
    people seem to cringe. They always say the cost of electricity is too high around here and the winters are too cold.

The problem I have is: I can't figure out my freaking electric supplier's rates!
    http://www.psnh.com/SharePDFs/Summary_of_Rates.pdf

I have natural gas. The rate for that is 1.5631 per therm.

Should I get the heat pump or not?

Originally posted by martik
    A gigajoule (GJ) of Natural gas costs approx $10 which is about 1 million btu. So a lower COP rated HP would not save significant $? We use approx 60 GJ's per year.
    One gigajoule is 1 billion joules

1054.615 joules is 1 btu

So 1 gigajoule is 948,213 btu input

That requires 1.3182 gigajoule to produce 1 million Btu with a 80% furnace or $ 13.18 per million Btu into the space.

The thing is... everybody’s prices are different. What's better for one person is not necessarily cost effective for another.

quote:
    The only time the HP will shut off is in a case where you have a Dual Fuel system. HP with Gas backup.

Like I said. Some heat pumps have a balance point setting that WILL TURN OFF the heat pump and switch the first stage heat to the back up heat. Most applications electric strip heaters.

quote:
    With his cost of fuels, he'd be better off backing up the HP with electric strips.

But not if you have to run a heavier electric service to get 100 amps or so for the heat strips?

Originally posted by matt8085
    They always say the cost of electricity is too high around here and the winters are too cold.

The problem I have is: I can't figure out my freaking electric supplier's rates!

I have natural gas. The rate for that is 1.5631 per therm.

Should I get the heat pump or not?
    Your electrical rates are pretty reasonable... 6.75 cents a KW. The above figures are using 8 cents a KW.

Your natural gas price of 1.5631... figured on the standard 100,000 Btu / per therm will be the following for 1 Million Btu of heat put into the space:

70% Furnace $ 22.33
    80% Furnace $ 19.54
    90% Furnace $ 17.37
    92% Furnace $ 16.99
    94% Furnace $ 16.63

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast