Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question

Hey guys, thanks for the the advice on the location to
    place the new unit. I decided to place it in the down stairs
    closet.

My next question is, who makes the most reliable unit(s); Carrier, Rheem, York, etc. I'm dumbfounded. My old unit was
    a Tempstar. I had it for 18 years and now it's gone. A very
    reliable unit. I would get another Tempstar unit but there
    seems to be not many contractors that deal with them in my
    area.

I'm not to concern with the worse for now only the best.

Let me know on a scale bases from one to ten what you all
    think.

Thanks. s.j.

You're likely to get some lively replies to this question.

I'll start by saying, the install quality is the most important factor. I'd take one of Robo's installs on Goodman's bottom of the line unit than a hack's installs on Tranes top of the line any day.

Just for the record, I sell Trane so of course I think they're the best.

(yes Robo, I know you'd rather sell me Goodman's top of the line stuff but I'm trying to make the point that you know your product and I trust your knowledge. This is not intended as a slam at Goodman or Robo in any way, but rather intended as a compliment to Robo and a good example.)
    Never knock on Death's door. Ring the bell and run, he hates that.

Views expressed here are my own and not neccessarily those of any company I am affiliated with.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    We like Carrier's Infinity Two stage heat and two stage coll,the best,and yes that's what we sell.

Look into the details of it's operation for yourself.

Also search this site,"Infinity" and "Evolution" which is the Bryant version,see what happy home owners think about their Infinity.

No one line makes the best of anything. For many years, we sold A-S 80% furnaces with Rheem outdoor units as we felt that was offering the customer the best of both brands.

I like Rheem overall but hate their new coils and air handlers for example. Their cube air conditioners are fine but we've had bad luck with the builder heat pumps. SO, no 1 brand is perfect.

Thats like asking a car salesman who makes the best car.

Its pretty much an agreement that the cheapest equipment intalled correctly will out preform the most expensive, all the bells and whistles equipment not installed correctly.

That being said, And just personal choice. I like the Tempstar line. We have used Tempstar for several years with very few problems. Beware, Each manufacturer makes different grades of equipment. Builder models, Nicer units and ones with all the bells and whistles. So when you compare them make sure they are apples to apples.

People who can afford an Infinity system should be happy with all aspects of life, but I don't see one going in my Chateau anytime soon.

York Affinity 80 is what I picked, but I live near the ocean in SoCal so heat is more an amusement.

Goodman 90+ might be my choice if I really needed many months of heat.

Different turn on the answer:

Who makes the "best" unit.

I do, period.

(Reason being, whichever unit I install becomes the best that there is, and every AC contractor should think the same, IMO)

The question is who makes the most reliable unit, not the best unit may be the same answer for alot of people, not for me however. Difficult question to answer, largely a matter of opinion and you will have as many of those on here as there are different manufacturers. You will also here that the installation is what counts the most and I have to agree with that. You will also here that all of the equipment shares the same parts, which is also true to a large extent. Having said all of that, If you ask me who is the best I would have to answer Carrier (Infinity) for their innovation which is key to progress. Without companies like Carrier, we would still be using blocks of ice. If you ask me who is the most reliable I would have to say RUUD/RHEEM. I put that equipment in for a long time and it gave me VERY little trouble over the 20+ years I have been in this field. RUUD is a very solid unit, that doesnt over complicate things, very installer friendly, uses high quality parts, very very reliable equipment.

Dave in NJ

The most bang for the buck comes from Rheem in my opinion. If money is no object, go Trane. Just stay away from anything made by AAON. ABSOLUTE GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAON WIRING DIAGRAMS ARE AWESOME!

Not if you're colorblind

Just call these guys, the goof on the far right

That one guy taking a dump?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast