+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Water to refrigerant HX cleaning?

Post Likes

Confused Water to refrigerant HX cleaning?

I went to a service call in a DQ last night on a walk in freezer that was not cold enough. Room was at about 20f and compressor was running and constantly tripping on HPS; hooked my gages and read a high side of 260psi and a suction of 20 Psi; the dual pressure control was a ranco with adjustsble low pressure cut out but there seems to be a fixed high pressure cut out factory setted at 300psi. I replaced the dual control and restarted the compressor to read RLA which was over by 10%; checked the run and start capacitor and relay; replaced an open run capacitor and restarted the compressor which was now 15 % under RLA. I tried to adjust the penn valve(water regulating) to obtain a lower liquid line pressure(about 225) and I cranked it open and nothing happened; the water comes out cold but the liquid line is still at about 95f with a screwdriver holding the stem fully open in the valve. I am thinking that the HX might be dirty on the water side; the flow is good but the exchange is slow. Right now system runs at about 270psi head pressure and does not trip on HPS anymore as I have setted it to 340psi; of course liquid line is still hot (100f) and I would like input on how to clean that HX and could it need cleaning on both sides. Is it bad to run the compressor with such a high head pressure. I am running the unit with city water and from my experience the flow of water I have is plenty enough to cool such a small unit(about 3gpm at 48f). Anyways as I said the water that comes out of the condenser with a full flow is at about 55f and the liquid line will still be hot to the touch(about 100f). Can I flush the water side of the condenser using descaler and small circulation pump? Any help would be appreciated! Compressor model is Copelametic EWA2-150-CAB. Also the exchanger is mounted underneath the compressor and seems to be a tubular heat exchanger; it seems to be manufactured with the unit by Copeland.
    Learn as if you were to live together and live as if you were to die tomorrow. -Gandhi

Post Likes
    its scale that your trying to remove so you need to use a scale remover and monitor ph.

Its pretty common.

Post Likes
    The water running through the condenser is city water and has constant PH of 7.0. I know that heating water will precipitate the minerals; so I was thinking that the lower I set the water regulating valve; the less scale I am going to have in the condenser. System has R408A and I was wondering what would be the lowest correct head pressure to set the water regulating valve knowing that I have a balanced port TXV. Is it really an advantage to run the system at a lower head pressure and will it prevent or reduce scaling effect? Is it common to have scale on equipment using city water?
    Learn as if you were to live together and live as if you were to die tomorrow. -Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in