Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    It's just about worthless for learning anything.

Any forum where you can't discuss techical issues and costs, what's the point?

Also many of the "professionals" on this board know less than me, a typical homeowner.

Worthless.

Thanks for the tip!
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Jeff,
    I totally disagree with you. When I first came on this site I knew NOTHING about HVAC. I have learned so much by reading and asking questions. You should hear me now speaking to my husband and others about what I know...I can tell they are quite impressed.

Originally posted by jeff9329

Also many of the "professionals" on this board know less than me, a typical homeowner.

Worthless.
    Hmm...help me understand this attitude. I'm being serious. About your attitude. Being that this forum is "free", and the people who populate it, particularly the pros, do so with their own time, AND that there's a deep knowledge base here with folks generous to give it...IF they aren't met with a smart ass attitude...how does that make this place "worthless"?

Oh I see...you didn't get what you want because of the rules, and those here who respect the rules. Or maybe you could've got what you want had you approached the matter with a different angle. Technical info is given out here daily...it's just not going to be given in a step by step, do this first and do this next for someone who wants to dink around with their own system and then end up frustrated when they blow it sky high and end up having to call a pro anyway.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Jeff,

I have been reading and asking questions on this forum for close to a year. Prior to coming to this forum I had minimal knowledge about my HVAC system. The knowledge I have gained here is amazing.

I chose an HVAC contractor for my FL home from here based on his posts. The salesperson and the tech that came from his company were very professional and qualified IMO.

I made a decision on the A/C system in my MN home based on what I learned here and discussions with my HVAC tech in MN. My home is much more comfortable than it was prior to the change I made.

It is too bad that you do not find it useful and educational, it has been for me and many others.

Thanks to all the pros that spend their time answering our questions.

Jeff,
    shophound has a point. In your thread "System Performance Technical Question" you came out the gate trash'n AMD. Like shophound said, this is free info and with goodwill, at the same time safty is a priority.

I totally disagree. This forum has been a great sounding board and source of information for me. It has helped me ferret out the truth and to determine whether a contractor is bs'ing me. There are too many variables to discuss cost issues, and no homeowner should be doing their own HVAC repairs or installation on the advice of an anonymous message board, even if the advice is from a "pro". I don't get your point.

I've been in this industry for a few years now and I have learned a lot from this forum. I can't imagine how it would NOT be usefull to someone with less knowledge. I recommend it every chance I get.

I see from your previous posts that you are very technically oriented and know much more than the average homeowner regarding HVAC. Even so, the rules are set up for everyone's safety and best interest. Answering some questions, even for someone who can handle the advanced knowledge available here, puts that info into a public area where less skilled people would use it and create a real safety hazard. That's why we have pro's forums so we can help other pros out without endangering any DIY's. One look through the wall of shame pics and seeing the electrocuted animals, wasp nests and snakes gives a visual example of some of the very real dangers in this business. There have also been several threads regarding pricing and why it is useless in this forum.

If you don't find it usefull, why do you continue to spend your valuable time here? It would seem to be a waste of your own resources and a disturbance to those who do find this usefull. Loose/Loose situation.
    Never knock on Death's door. Ring the bell and run, he hates that.

Views expressed here are my own and not neccessarily those of any company I am affiliated with.

Jeff, Just wondering - what do you do for a living?

Don't bother with this poster

Shame on you. You spit on the hand that feeds you.
    I saw your post asking for system diagnostics:

http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthr...hreadid=110623

and you had gotten replies.

Next time, if you or someone is your family is sick don't go to a doctor. Email him your symptoms and expect a good treatment by a return email the same way you expected here.

Hats off to the pros who didn't kick you in you know where for being so unthankfully rude.

Originally posted by jeff9329

Worthless.

Then why did you start this thread?

jeff9329, Catch your wife in bed with an a/c tech did ya!
    I bet he was giving her all the good information, might want to check with her.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Are you and Danglerb one and the same?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast