I recently had a 3 ton Trane XL16i with a 4TEE3F40A VS air handler installed. The Outside unit came pre-charged from the "shop".

The Salesperson was Extremely thorough with his measurements/calculations etc. (they pre-fabricated the ductwork at the "shop" based on his measurements... which fit like a glove by the way...)

The installers said Because of the exact PRE-measurements of the NEW linesets, all they had to do after they brazed and evacuated the system with a vacuum pump for 45 minutes, was to open the "charging valves" and presto! chango! the system is PROPERLY CHARGED!!!

Is this a "normal" procedure??? Or a cheapo shortcut???

P.S. they DID NOT add or remove any Puron following installation... BTW, I am Very Pleased with the operation of this system, just thought it was strange the way the "charge" was administered...

Most of the units I see come precharged from the factory with enough juice for something like 15 feet of lineset. I have no idea if that amount can be added to or not.

Didn't they put gauges on to check the system?

All condensing units come "pre-charged".This is the manufacturers way of knowing it started out good.Some systems have enough charge to them that initial start up is fine but must have some added at "point of sale" I've installed many of these over the years and have had a few problems but never due to over pre=charge.Most need to be added to because of line length or drop.Don't fret this.It is a normal thing and does save alot of time on the install/retrofit.

Yes, they had gauges.

I just assumed that all heat pumps were charged to spec at the time of installation...

I learn something new everyday...

But since it's summer, shouldn't they at least have checked subcooling to verify that the charge was indeed correct? My understanding was that just weighing in the charge (or weighing in any charge above the factory charge) was only considered the correct procedure in the winter, when you can't charge by subcooling - am I missing something there?

How long is the lineset?

The XL16i comes with enough refrigerant in it for 15 feet of refrigerant lines.
    If the refrigerant lines are more than 15 feet long, they should have added some refrigerant.
    If the refrigerant lines are less than 15 feet long, they should have removed some refrigerant.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

The length of the lineset is approx. 12-15 ft.

I dont know if they checked subcooling or not. How would I know besides calling them up and asking them, if they checked the "subcooling"? I remember them mumbling stuff about subcooling/superheat to each other, but remember, i'm just "harry homeowner" and i dont know much about that stuff...

I know they checked the refrigerant pressure on the suct/disch which was 160/340

Sounds like they probably did check it then. It would be on the startup sheet that they have on file for the manufacturer warranty in any case, you could see if they would send you a copy of that sheet for your records. The info on there should enable the pros here to verify that it was installed correctly.

Originally posted by perel
    Sounds like they probably did check it then. It would be on the startup sheet that they have on file for the manufacturer warranty in any case, you could see if they would send you a copy of that sheet for your records. The info on there should enable the pros here to verify that it was installed correctly.
    Not everyone does startup sheets, they are not required for a manufacturers warranty. I think some contractors use them mainly as a checklist for the installers.

The only time I have ever had to do one for a particular reason was on a new house for some rebate program.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

I was misinformed then, thanks for the correction. Shouldn't they still have the startup information on file?