I am getting ready to go on a trip to california. I will be flying into Sacramento and driving up north to the redwoods. Then driving down the coast to L.A. From thier I will be driving over to Vegas for a couple of days. Any tips or must see places for the trip down the coast?

Thanks Steve
    Steve J.

Thumbs up

Monteray Bay and the Aquarium coming down PCH.Big Sur,Santa Monica,Queen Mary in Long Beach,Howard Hughes's SPRUCE GOOSE ...walk Hollywood Blvd with the movie "stars" in the walkways,Grauman's Chinnese with all the concrete impressions of all the famous movie stars and signitures.a must to get a picture of is when you get to the California/Nevada border heading east hang a U turn and get the family under the "Welcome to California" sign.i know there is a huge sign right on Route 95(CA./NEV)just north of I-40 exit Needles,that will take you into Vegas,can't say being on I-15 from California it is that size. http://www.seeing-stars.com/Maps/Man...CourtMap.shtml

[Edited by maxster on 07-21-2006 at 06:49 AM]
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Monterey Bay Aquarium is cool. Call a day or two before arrival & buy tickets. You can then pick them up at "will call". That is a different door and you can walk right in..The normal line can be huge
    Santa Cruz is pretty cool, Pismo Beach also.
    Almost forgot.....Hearst Castle is really worth seeing

bigbird`s chicken farm is a must see.

Golden Gate Bridge. Walk across it.
    Old snipes don't die they just loose their steam

I'm not sure how far north from Sac. you're going. PCH is a gorgous ride but, it's a LONG ride from say Mendecino. It's an average 8 hour ride from the Monterey Bay to LA.

Strongly recommend the Aquarium in Monterey. And if your driving and have the time, Hearst Castle is great. Both of these stops are at least "half to a whole day" places. Both of these are popular stops. Don't go on the weekend if you can avoid it. The summer crowds are bad enough.

Monterey/Carmel is a great place to spend the night, if you can afford it. Carmel is an "arsy-fartsy" kinda place. Lots of B&B's with really good restaurants. Very romantic.

Monterey is real nice too. Monterey isn't quite as quaint, but can be more reasonably priced. Eating either on Cannery Row or the Wharf are always popular. The food in either is OK. A little pricey. You pay for the location.

If you want a place to just stretch your legs, try Point Lobos just south of Carmel. It's a national reserve and costs about $8 a car. Great place to look in tidepools etc.

As far as LA, you could spend 2 weeks and still not make a dent.

I hope this helps.

Start at the Washington/Oregon border maybe at Vancouver WA or you will miss the best part of the Coast Highway.

You will not be able to take the PCH all the way. South of San Francisco it is closed at the Devils slide area. That is between Pacifica and Half Moon Bay
    Old snipes don't die they just loose their steam

Thanks for all the great info. I will try and see as much as possible without rushing. If i can't see it all i will try and return at a later date to finish the rest. I will be flying out early Monday morning. Again thanks for the info!!!
    Steve J.

i think this is what he's talking about
    i don't live there

[SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA]
    State Route 1 "IS CLOSED FROM MONTARA TO PACIFICA (SAN MATEO CO) - DUE TO A SLIP OUT
    - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE"

[Edited by lk on 07-22-2006 at 12:49 PM]