I am in the process of building a two story addition to my home. The first story is a garage/basement (unfinished) area and the second story is an entertainment area/sun room. The living space is approximately 350 sf with a cathedral ceiling. The backwall is a wall of windows (3 casements with 4 trapezoids on top). There are 3 other large casement windows and a french patio door leading to my deck within this room.

I am looking for a system to heat/cool just this room. The furnace will be located in the new unfinished space. My general contractor has received a bid from his HVAC contractor which is for a Goodman 70,000 BTU propane furnace and a 2-ton AC. I have no other specs yet.

Since receiving the contract and being shocked by the price (12% of the total cost of the addition), I started doing research. I am now convinced that I will not accept Goodman equipment given their history. What I am unsure of is whether this size room warrants that size equipment - it seems like overkill from what I've read (btw, my existing house has 2-zones with Carrier equipment). Early on I considered a wall mounted "packaged" unit but then decided I would rather pay more to not see a heater/AC unit sitting in the middle of my wall.

I will be speaking to my GC within the next day or two and telling him of my disatisfaction. I have also called two HVAC contractors directly to get their advice and potentially to get alternate bids. I haven't heard back from either of them yet but hope to by tomorrow.

Any advice or suggestions on what might be appropriate and what to look for would be very appreciated. Thanks for your time.

gto boy Guest
    Maybe a heat pump with electric heat for such a small space.Wall mounts are window units that do not use windows.

Mini Split!

There is nothing wrong with Goodman equipment if it is installed properly.

The only way to know if the equipment size is correct is to have Man J and D load calcs performed. Insist on this no matter who does the work. It can be done from the plans and specs.

Get a few opinions from contractors in your area. From the way you describe your addition I would look at a 2 stage equipment. Sounds like alot of glass. Depending on exposure direction, you could have a decent load swing between day and night. Multi-stage will make the space more comfortable both temp and humidity.

Goodluck with your project.

70K and 2 ton for 350 sq ft of living area is absolutely NUTS! you can heat & cool 5 times that space with that much equipment! A tiny split system is fine, just not GROSSLY oversized. Also LP is an extremely expensive form of heat!

Originally posted by comfortdoc
    There is nothing wrong with Goodman equipment if it is installed properly.

The only way to know if the equipment size is correct is to have Man J and D load calcs performed. Insist on this no matter who does the work. It can be done from the plans and specs.

Get a few opinions from contractors in your area. From the way you describe your addition I would look at a 2 stage equipment. Sounds like alot of glass. Depending on exposure direction, you could have a decent load swing between day and night. Multi-stage will make the space more comfortable both temp and humidity.

Goodluck with your project.
    well maybe now, since they revamped there whole line cause they new it was in the toliet!

No offense you would be better off letting marketing division of Goodman try to sway the public, we all know the awful truth.

Given the size of this investment, I don't think I can take a chance that Goodman has improved their line of products.

I should have also mentioned that my addition will have a SW exposure.

One more question, how small do split systems come in terms of furnace BTU and AC tonage?

Thanks again!

I agree that 2tons and 70K BTU seems to be very excessive for 350sq ft. When duilding this additon, did you not take into consideration the use of a high R insulation, thermo windows, building wrap and wall insualtion? Did the HVAC contractor actually do a real assessment of the room size, heat and cooling load calcs, or was it just someone who said 2 tons will work fine. If that is the case get another contractor that will do the proper heat and cooling load calcs!

I was playing around with HVAC-Calc and it's easy enough to make a 350 sqft sunroom (mostly double-pane glass) need 2 tons of AC.. doesn't seem to be too affected by climate either. It's the windows that get the load way up. What direction are the windows in this addition facing, by the way?