Thread: micron filters

micron filters

Been installing alot of new WATER COOLED units here in my plant. In the past we've had alot

of issues with high head pressures and cracked condensers due to scale build

up. Most of our lines are black pipe and it corrodes. Instead of redoing all our

feeds and returns with copper or hose, Im considering installing the micron

bag canisters on our supply lines. We had strainers but it was becoming a PIA

having to clean them every other day. With the micron filters we can just

valve it off replace bag and let it rip. Only thing is I never used them before.

Anybody have experience with them? can you supply a link possibly to view?

Can they all be the same size whether its a 2" line or 3/4" line? Stuff like

that.
    “If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.” ~ Sir Isaac Newton

I'm learning all the time, the tombstone will be my diploma!!!

Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy1010 View Post
    Been installing alot of new WATER COOLED units here in my plant. In the past we've had alot

up. Most of our lines are black pipe and it corrodes. Instead of redoing all our

valve it off replace bag and let it rip. Only thing is I never used them before.

that.
    We have them on alot of closed loop process chillers and HX's. They are easy to replace and work great.

But with that said.........bag filters are alot more restrictive to a system, then a strainer(Do to the lower micron level). If the system wasn't designed for them your probably going to cause more problems then good.

Also, if your cleaning strainers every other day.....then expect to replace the bag filters twice a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy1010 View Post

that.
    The problems you report are more than what a micron filter is designed to do.

If your having scale issues and your piping is breaking down enough to cause strainers to become blocked. I would look at the chemical treatment at your place first. The micron filter is designed to capture a percentage of water from the loop and filter it and clean it. Scale is not one of them.

I have used these type of filter when my loop water had become dirty from biofouling, or from the system piping breaking down and you want to get samples. The filter should be examined by the chemical company to determine what is in the water. If you have particles of rust, metal, dirt these will also help contribute to wear down your the pipes and effect your water chemistry and transfer efficiency.

Its not a bad idea to have a Micron filter installed so you can get samples of what happening inside.

When an aggressive chemical program is introduced to help protect pipes and clean up the water the filter will get clogged fast and as time goes by with an effective chemical program the need to change the filter will become less. At some point there will be no need for it other than to take samples.

thanks fellas, good info
    “If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.” ~ Sir Isaac Newton

I'm learning all the time, the tombstone will be my diploma!!!

Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

Tommy I have a few questions

Do you have water treatment if so please ensure the flow switch is working on the controller if its not when the pumps are off your chemicals are being fed non stop a d will cause problems.

How big are the pieces would a mud leg that you could blow down at each unit help?
    “It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are.”

- E.E. Cummings

I use micron bag filters on the condenser of some flat plate chillers but I only use them to filter a percentage of the flow. I'll use a 1" pot feeder with a bag filter in it on a 100 ton chiller, but I only use them to clean up a system, not as primary filtration. As stated before, these filters are very restrictive and I probably wouldn't put it on a system not designed for it.
    There are a lot of good sand and blow down filters out there that work great.
    But the 2 problems you are describing are not caused by poor filtration. If the scale is a large issue consider softening your feed water to reduce the mineral build up. If corrosion is your issue consider chemical water treatment with an inhibitor. If biofouling is your issue consider chemical water treatment with a biocide.
    A water analysis by a water treatment company might be very beneficial to you.

Need to get your water in better condition first. Have it tested by chemical company. If you do put bags in start with a higher micron rating first.