Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Payne is exactly the same as carrier/bryant 90% efficient furnace. Ive put in a dozen or so and as long as it is properly installed it can be a very reliable unit.

in 5 years i've never heard anyone complain about Payne, i assumed they were good because they are connected to Carrier.

we installed a lot of American Standard but the last package units we purchased had a plastic blower cage, which i didn't like to see.

the ones with the bad rep in my area are Goodman, Amana, and now Rheem because they are in Home Depo and on the internet.
    i thought the older Rheem products were good, we still see a lot of them.
    i don't know anything about the newer stuff.

the only product i've ever seen a customer demand to have pulled out of the house was a brand new Goodman 98% furnace.
    different companies came out to fix it, the thing did not want to run

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Outdoor unit wise, can't think of anything built cheaper than a Payne. Plus you are putting Mexicans to work, not Americans

Goodman has brought their quality up so the may not be the cheapest anymore.
    I toured Goodman factory a few years ago. Only a few Americans working on the line.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Why did goodman raise there prices when they claim they are lower due to not advertising, could it be that they are charging more because they increased there warranty and need to make more money to cover warranty issues that the hacks will be claiming.

I was not aware Rheem was available online. I have put in a few replacement Rheem dry charge cubes. They are OK, not sure on quality yet, hopefully they are as good as the old achiever long bodies. I don't care for the way the service valves are, can't really get a core tool on them. Also the smaller units have contactors without lugs, just the quick connect. Works great when the whip has solid wire in it. Oh well, thank goodness for Goodman!

Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    Model number?
    https://docs.google.com/open?id=1ei8...Z2-Ro9s1YWvZan
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

MANY MANY THANKS.

Time for a meeting at the shop.

"No External Side or Back Screws – The SmartFrame sub-structure eliminates the need
    for screws in the side or back of the cabinet. Not only does this provide easier, non-
    damaging sliding of the unit but more importantly will prevent screw sweating in high
    humidity applications."

Amen.

"Low Leakage Cabinet – All models comply with the factory-sealed air handling credit
    with or without field-installed filter kits as listed in the 2001 Florida Building Code,
    Chapter 13, Section 610.2.A.2.1."

Yeah, right, just like their "air-tight bottom" furnaces. My arse.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

they are assembled in the usa not made in the usa just another marketing ploy but they are still creating jobs somewhere in the manufacturing process. Mexico builds all the parts and americans just bolt em on. They are definitely better than they once were. I am not a big fan of the pop can metal they use to assemble there equipment nor the cheap powdercoating on the outdoor units not to mention all the spots they miss on the fan louvers. But hey if thats all you can afford and it gets installed correctly then it will get the job done. That being said you can't beat there warranty. I walk in with a broken part and walk out with a new part no grief not a dime spent and very little paperwork unlike carrier, lennox, trane just to name a few.

Quote Originally Posted by rjd sun View Post
    they are assembled in the usa not made in the usa just another marketing ploy but they are still creating jobs somewhere in the manufacturing process. Mexico builds all the parts and americans just bolt em on.
    Not being argumentative but.....
    I dare you to find just one manufacturer whose machine is 100% (all parts) made in the USA.

Those days are gone forever.
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

Goodman are very popular around here in upstate South Carolina , but I get the most problems on their coils

The thing I don't like about goodman are the service valves are too close together and face the same way.makes it hard to evacuate properly,IMO Payne is a better piece of equipment.

Thumbs down

I just had a 2-week string of terrible luck with a Goodman a/c. New unit installed on 6/5 didn't operate on startup immediately, compressor sounded stuck despite being a scroll. When it did start, pressures were 550/150 with 1* superheat, then compressor began surging terribly and my head gauge needle vibrated between 350 and 550 so fast it was a blur. Returned the following day and, per Goodman tech support (who also accused me of installing it wrong and I must have allowed noncondensables into the line set), I removed the charge/replaced filter drier/checked piston for potential restriction. Nameplate on the unit listed 89 oz of R-410A, actual quantity removed was 122 oz. The unit still surged badly with the proper charge, new filter drier, and no restriction on the piston, but then seemed to clear up after operating over an hour. I deemed it healed. Boy was I wrong. My boss was on-call that weekend & he ran a night call for failure to cool and loud noise on that unit. Thinking there were noncondensables in it, he added dye to check for leaks, and the unit began to cool properly again though he made no adjustments. I returned the following Monday to check for leaks with UV light & found none, unit again failed while I was there. 2nd try, Goodman tech support was no support. Our supplier sales rep (of all people, & he said many other installers in our area had the same problem) suggested to remove 4 oz of puron at a time until the pressures settled down. Tried it until the unit was severely undercharged and pressures still surged badly. 3rd try finally got some help from Goodman tech support, this guy said it needs new compressor or new unit. Customer politely demanded a new unit. I installed the new unit today, and it took 6 hours to pull an acceptable vacuum on just the line set and evap coil. Started the a/c, calculated my expected superheat, and checked pressures after 15 minutes. 550/150 pressures again but thankfully no surging. Bled off 17 extra oz of puron before superheat reached required level and pressures fell to 350/115. We will officially dump Goodman after the warranty claim is processed. This kind of crap never happens to us with our Bryant/Payne or NuTone equipment, and their tech support is actually supportive when we have a stumper.

six hours to evac the line set? how is that Goodmans fault?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast