Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    We put in a ruud HP system and a Ruud ac split,I could not get a valve core tool on either,so I had to evacuate with schrader's in.i hope we never put in another.

Quote Originally Posted by jamessnevets View Post
    I just had a 2-week string of terrible luck with a Goodman a/c. New unit installed on 6/5 didn't operate on startup immediately, compressor sounded stuck despite being a scroll. When it did start, pressures were 550/150 with 1* superheat, then compressor began surging terribly and my head gauge needle vibrated between 350 and 550 so fast it was a blur. Returned the following day and, per Goodman tech support (who also accused me of installing it wrong and I must have allowed noncondensables into the line set), I removed the charge/replaced filter drier/checked piston for potential restriction. Nameplate on the unit listed 89 oz of R-410A, actual quantity removed was 122 oz. The unit still surged badly with the proper charge, new filter drier, and no restriction on the piston, but then seemed to clear up after operating over an hour. I deemed it healed. Boy was I wrong. My boss was on-call that weekend & he ran a night call for failure to cool and loud noise on that unit. Thinking there were noncondensables in it, he added dye to check for leaks, and the unit began to cool properly again though he made no adjustments. I returned the following Monday to check for leaks with UV light & found none, unit again failed while I was there. 2nd try, Goodman tech support was no support. Our supplier sales rep (of all people, & he said many other installers in our area had the same problem) suggested to remove 4 oz of puron at a time until the pressures settled down. Tried it until the unit was severely undercharged and pressures still surged badly. 3rd try finally got some help from Goodman tech support, this guy said it needs new compressor or new unit. Customer politely demanded a new unit. I installed the new unit today, and it took 6 hours to pull an acceptable vacuum on just the line set and evap coil. Started the a/c, calculated my expected superheat, and checked pressures after 15 minutes. 550/150 pressures again but thankfully no surging. Bled off 17 extra oz of puron before superheat reached required level and pressures fell to 350/115. We will officially dump Goodman after the warranty claim is processed. This kind of crap never happens to us with our Bryant/Payne or NuTone equipment, and their tech support is actually supportive when we have a stumper.
    Sounds like the only thing wrong was a gross overcharge.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Quote Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
    six hours to evac the line set? how is that Goodmans fault?
    I'm don't blame Goodman for that, just the hassle of the whole situation. God help me if I know why it took that long to pull a vacuum on a 15' line set that was triple evacuated. I've been a service tech for 12 years and never had so much trouble on one system as I did with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfstrike View Post
    i was checking some prices today, Goodman gave me a price that i thought was cheap.
    i assumed they would be the cheapest because it seems most companies install their stuff around here.
    i called American Standard and Carrier(Payne) and they are selling units for the exact same price.

if i was selling/installing equipment i'd probably go for the Payne stuff, if it wasn't for the fact it takes me two freaking hours to get in and out of that store.
    i dont know what supplier you use but my payne supplier in philadelphia pa is the same way! i dread going into there. I ordered a fan blade from there a few weeks ago when i got there i still waited 45 minutes, ughh!

i install alot of goodman/amana units. i love them. lifetime unit replacement on amana 14 seer and up makes it an easy sell. plus imo they look great too. goodman has come a long way in recent years. just remember, its not so much what unit you get, but more important, who you get to install it. improper installation and setup turns your high end fancy unit into a pretty, energy guzzling, lawn ornament imo.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123