I have two diffeent companies come out that had different approaches to my central air retrofit in my older home with no ductwork. Because of limited space one company recommends:

A vertical Spacepak system buit into the empty space of my stariway between first and second floors (2 story). A condensing unit on the roof and a drianage pan under the unit in the wall with a pump for the water that follows the copper line set out of the house. 13 Seer Lennox 2.5 ton (1300 SF home) cost $XX,XXX K including ductwork

Other company wants to put in a tradition central air system and ductwork but use a "package rooftop unit" and also come down through an opening in the roof to feed air to the second floor and through the closets to the first floor. estimate is around $XXX K

XAny thoughts would be greatly appreciated. It is a 2 story home in South Philadelphia made of brick. There was an addition in the back that added on to the brick facade with stucco. It is a straight through row homw with 2 floors and 3 bedrooms and a hallway. main stairs going from living room to second floor above which company 1 wants to hang spacepak unit.

>>>edit... no pricing per Site Rules

[Edited by Jultzya on 07-21-2006 at 04:09 PM]

If installed properly, both systems will serve you well. I would go with the spacepak since it will give you greater control over upstairs/downstairs tempretures. You could gain the same (or more control) with the central air system if they add a zone system to it.
    IcyFlame

Re

also a little scared about the idea of a water pump and drainpan in my wall...

Re: Re

Originally posted by burnbrightly
    also a little scared about the idea of a water pump and drainpan in my wall...
    Im sure you realize that AC drains alot of condensate. When you install a system above a finished ceiling you set it in a drain pan to act as a back up in the event the main condensate drain clogs up. (I lay a sheet of OSB,cover with sheet metal and lay a piece of 1/2" drywall, ((makes for a fantastic sponge)) A float switch is installed in the pan to shut the system down to prevent the pan from overflowing. During normal maintenance (changing filters, etc) if you see any water in the drain pan, you address that situation then and not wait until the system shuts down. Condensate Pumps are a reliable means of moving condensate to a point where gravity will carry it away. The linset is already going outside, so why not run the condensate with it? Seldom is it practical to install a 90%+ furnace (condensing furnace) in a attic requiring a drain as the drains will freeze in the winter when the furnace is operating

[Edited by icyflame on 07-20-2006 at 09:39 PM]
    IcyFlame

Hmm

what part of the Country are you in?

thats a blankity blank priced job round here thinkin of relocating!

P.s thats why they went with a condensate pump...refering to the 90% furnace....sponge mold ugh great Idea

Ya it's a good water absorber. What makes it real nice is that the water evaporates just as fast. You don't end up with soggy insulation and weak spot in the finished drywall.
    The sheet metal prevents any moisture from wicking down in the osb or plywood. In my 30 years i've never seen one mold or mildew. Also It makes a wonderful Platform from which to kneel on when servicing the unit. As far as price goes, It is impossible to evaluate money in this forum. markets are vastly differnt around the country. We can not see the "details" of the job etc. I have done jobs from $1500.00 through $80,000.00. Havn't you also?
    IcyFlame

Package Rooftop Unit bad Idea?

My colleague told me this is a bad idea for my residential home: large hole in roof, renting a crane, very noisy. thoughts?

Do you have a basement? Did anyone look at putting the A/H or furnace in the basement and running conventional ductwork with chases in the corners of the 1st floor rooms?