Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: yk disaster

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    I assume that regular vibration analysis likely have caught the bearing wear before failure? Or was this unit overdue for a rebuild?
    You're assuming that there was bearing wear. It could have been that, as well as several other things.

Quote Originally Posted by nyrb View Post
    Did it look something like this?? You're in for a fun time.
    I bet any one within a 50 yard radius of that went home with bleeding ears that day

Quote Originally Posted by klove View Post
    You're assuming that there was bearing wear. It could have been that, as well as several other things.
    What else could it have been? We've covered the high speed thrust and journal. Could it have been the impeller nose seal was set up wrong to begin with or came loose? I haven't seen the insides of a YK, so I am running out of ideas

The key to happiness is lower expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    What else could it have been? We've covered the high speed thrust and journal. Could it have been the impeller nose seal was set up wrong to begin with or came loose? I haven't seen the insides of a YK, so I am running out of ideas

The list of reasons that something like that can happen is long and varied, and a lot of times includes multiple issues simultaneously that can culminate in a bad end result. I've seen it on Yorks, but never on a Trane. One reason (I believe) is that the impeller seals on Yorks are much tighter tolerance than Tranes. Either of the items that you mentioned are viable reasons.

RAVAI China 2012

RAVAI China 2012 will be held at Canton Fair Complex from August 21-23, 2012. As an important exchange platform for the professional buyers and enterprises worldwide, it's become one of promising potential exhibition in RVAC industry. To meet the needs, the exhibiting space of RAVAI China 2012 will be expanded to 30000 square meters; we are inviting over 600 exhibitors at home and abroad, cooperating with 40 domestic and overseas organizations, 300 worldwide industry media for promotion.

Vic Chan
    Guangzhou Grandeur Exhibition Services Co., Ltd.
    Tel: +86 20-28961166
    Fax: +86 20-82579220
    E-mail: sales10@grandeurhk.com

Brace yourself, Vice. You're probably going to hear from some folks about the site rules, which you should have read and understood before posting.

i took it apart checked the thrust its in range. i think that either the impeller broke (highly unlikely) or the nose seal came apart. the nose seal doesnt actually have to set up like a trane its floating on springs and self centers. now when the machine was surging for yaers before and thrust bearings were changed its hard to say how many times it surged. i also found the nose seals mounting bols sheared off? could it have beed the cause of the failure or result of it. the funny part is no one new it was tripped it was off on high oil temp go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by klove View Post
    Brace yourself, Vice. You're probably going to hear from some folks about the site rules, which you should have read and understood before posting.

does this mean i cant advertise? damn !!

anyways this is a great post covering the damages of the inside of a machine.,

i know that the trane is running around 3500 rpm
    compared to the york at about 35000 rpm., hince: size,
    i guess that the diff in rpm would be the reasonong behind the tighter tolerances ,.
    however i am not a pro and i am running ideas through my tiny tiny brain as well.

,. another spelling flaw., tiny = small
    tinny = even smaller than tiny .,

no signature blast'em man blast'em
    !!!KILL THE TERRORIST!!!

I was thinking of the difference in speed too, Milkyway. And I also like reading these types of threads, especially about equipment I'm not familiar with.

nose seal clearances don't have any direct relationship to speed. they have to do with pressure increases across the impeller...greater pressure increases equal greater leakage from the high side of the impeller to the low side of the impeller. the greater the leakage, the less efficient the compressor. with the york, there is a greater pressure increase across that 1 impeller versus the 2 or 3 across the trane.

also, the pressure increase across a 1 impeller, R134a is going to be a lot higher than across a 3 impeller R123 chiller.
    "If you pull one more stunt like you just pulled with Tommy, you won't have to get on a plane because I will personally kick your ass from here to Korea!" - Best of the Best

i guess that the diff in rpm would be the reasonong behind the tighter tolerances ,.
    however i am not a pro and i am running ideas through my tiny tiny brain as well.

York doesn't run at 35000 rpm that would be more like a McQuay high speed or as we would say screamer Yorks are more in the 12000-15000 range.
    Arguing with your Boss is like wrestling with a pig in
    mud.
    After a while you realize that while you are getting
    dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.

It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it
    creative problem solving.

25 years ago we had Bob Hope , Steve Jobs , and Johnny Cash today we have no Hope no Jobs and no Cash !
    I can fix broke but i can't fix stupid !

Quote Originally Posted by york56 View Post

York doesn't run at 35000 rpm that would be more like a McQuay high speed or as we would say screamer Yorks are more in the 12000-15000 range.
    thx
    no signature blast'em man blast'em
    !!!KILL THE TERRORIST!!!

Yeah, thanks, Jay and York56.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast