Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: yk disaster

Quote Originally Posted by york56 View Post
    York doesn't run at 35000 rpm that would be more like a McQuay high speed or as we would say screamer Yorks are more in the 12000-15000 range.
    I've been around a few McQuay PEH and PFH centrifugals from 300 to 1200 tons, and they have been very quiet. Are there some others that are much louder? I haven't worked with any of McQuay's large industrial chillers, or any of the old Westinghouse chillers.

Now Carrier's XLs, EXs, and FAs... OMFG are those things loud! Loud in an annoying "get me the @#$% out of this room" way. York YKs always seem to have a low-pitch roaring sound that I think is pretty cool. I don't much care for the sound of the YTs, especially the ones with drives on them...
    The key to happiness is lower expectations.

shut the liquid injection off

Yea I was speaking about those old Westinghouse Centrifugal Chillers when they unload you will need some hearing protection in that room.
    Arguing with your Boss is like wrestling with a pig in
    mud.
    After a while you realize that while you are getting
    dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.

It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it
    creative problem solving.

25 years ago we had Bob Hope , Steve Jobs , and Johnny Cash today we have no Hope no Jobs and no Cash !
    I can fix broke but i can't fix stupid !

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    ... OMFG ...
    The book of Exodus, chapter 20, verse 7, comes to mind. I hope this was just a slip - it seems a little beneath you...

We have chillers tear up like this in so. Fl., almost always preceded by a sudden drop & spike in power, which caused motor to slow down and then increase to operating speed. Sheared bolts, damaged impellar, have to do a complete overhaul. Since we couldn't count on the integrity of all the internal parts anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    I've been around a few McQuay PEH and PFH centrifugals from 300 to 1200 tons, and they have been very quiet. Are there some others that are much louder? I haven't worked with any of McQuay's large industrial chillers, or any of the old Westinghouse chillers.

Now Carrier's XLs, EXs, and FAs... OMFG are those things loud! Loud in an annoying "get me the @#$% out of this room" way. York YKs always seem to have a low-pitch roaring sound that I think is pretty cool. I don't much care for the sound of the YTs, especially the ones with drives on them...
    Really?
    I had a room with 4 1000t mcqways. ear plugs and ear muffs were not enough to block out the noise.
    Complete opposite of blue oval's.
    \m/
    original member of the racoon brotherhood

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123