Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: yk disaster

yk disaster

i have a yk that ground up and ate its impeller and eye seal it sent pieces everywhere i have so many metal shavings everywhere. i am attempting to clean it up but its a mess. i know i need to put a clean up kit on it etc.. but is there a way to get the metal shavings out?

Can you take the pieces to a shop that can bead-blast them? Is that a possibility? Never been involved with a failure of this nature, so I'm not even sure if that would be practical or not.
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

Did it look something like this?? You're in for a fun time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Multiple cleanup filters with ports welded directly in the bottom of the evaporator in between the supports will get most of it over time, but short of removing the tubes and getting in the shell with a vacuum or replacing the chiller, no, you'll never get it clean.

We had to deal with pieces of shrapnel for 3 years and we still get some accumulation in the eductor drier. JCI did the rebuild under warranty but I had to deal with keeping it online once they were done and we had issues with eductor driers plugging up. Even the service valve for the eductor got plugged up once which ended up with the entire charge coming out again and a larger set of driers was piped in with additional valving to capture the crap. It's going to be a supreme PITA.

to nyrb, it was worse the impeller was split in 2 and chunks of it spewed everywhere. down the suction the discharge etc..

Post some pics, I'd love to see the high speed thrust bearing or at least what's left of it.

Just curious, what was the root cause of failure? Frequent surging? Bearing failure causing the impeller to collide with the housing?

I'd love to have photos I can show people if they don't want to take issues seriously.

On a similar note, anyone have a photo of a large fiberglass cooling tower fan coming apart?

i will try to get pictures but the highspeed didnt fail, just the impeller and the eye seal. the impeller was still bolted to the high speed shaft. it looked like it was from frequent surging but i really cant tell. the thrust bearing was done a few years prior.

How does the impeller get trashed if the high speed thrust is intact? Maybe when it was done a few years ago, it wasn't done right? I think if that was the case, it would have failed immediately or very soon.

-Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    How does the impeller get trashed if the high speed thrust is intact? Maybe when it was done a few years ago, it wasn't done right? I think if that was the case, it would have failed immediately or very soon.
    Impeller contacts eye seal in the wrong way, the rest is history. Could be clearance issue caused by HS journal brng or any of a number of other things. Has nothing to do with the impeller contacting the nozzle plate due to excessive thrust.

A lot of slop in the high speed journal bearings would cause radial movement of the high speed shaft, and like you said... The rest is history. I was thinking only of the axial movement of the shaft causing the failure.

-Thomas Jefferson

I assume that regular vibration analysis likely have caught the bearing wear before failure? Or was this unit overdue for a rebuild?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast