Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    It won't work for long and Goodman won't honor your internet purchased units warranty. Quite a pickle you have gotten yourself into.

Just think how much longer that 14 year old condenser might have lasted had it been installed with the proper indoor unit.

Putting a 13 SEER condenser with that air handler is just sentencing it to death. I have seen several that die within a month because of the lack of size of that coil.

Basically, you are just wasting your money if you don't have the air handler changed out.
    -----------------------------------------------------------

I still have bruises from asking this question here a few weeks ago.)

I agree with RoBoTeq.

I replaced my 13 SEER OD unit with my old AH. We needed AC ASAP and it seems the good contractors were busy and I went with a so called hack. I do and dont regret it. Were cool now, but as RoBoTeq stated, for how long? He (contractor) got his money, every dime requested on the estimate.

I have an estimate to replace eveything but the duct work from a popular local HVAC outfit. ($$$) The boss say's I'm not even allowed to be home when they come for the install. She told me I had my chance If I had done this in the first place I could have saved $$$ on a 1 month old 13 SEER condensing unit with labor that is going away.GRRRR

Yea, I learned the hard way.

This very topic will soon be covered by one or more articles in a future issue of the ACHR News. Several manufacturers will be featured with their opinions. All manufacurers run tests on higher SEER units under various conditions including coil size variations. Watch for the results in The News.

Norm

Cool

I'm not promoting or suggesting this to be a common practice, I agree that the efficiecy and capacity of the system suffers, though I can't see anything that would be damaging to this compressor. I just thought it interesting to share and get everyones thoughts. Remember when I first wrote I mentioned before installing that I thought it would never work either, but in a hard place, or needing a quick fix such as my situation,you might get get away with it, even if its temporary.

Originally posted by x-files
    hvac1000
    Professional Member

WOW post all of the readings,pressures and temps for that install. Indoor wet and dry also. This will be interesting

Day 4,79 degees outside temp,start with inside check,73 return,52 supply, 59% RH, 60d wet bulb, fixed orfice .83, check outside, 65/190 psi. 86% RH,comp draw 12.4/ rated 20.2 cond air discharge 91 degrees.6 degree superheat afterabout 10-15 min run time. final check return and supply dropped to 68r and 48s.appears to be ok to me!!!

Your on the low end of the super heat charts.

Watch for flood back when the OD temp drops afew more degrees.
    If you can, check it again whens it 74 or 75 outside.
    If the superheat doesn't come up, you'll be changing that compressor.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12