Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I'm really just looking for some facts here. 10 Seer 5 ton goodman CE60 condneser unit just quit after 14 years (compressor broke). A/C only system. House is 50's construction, handler of unknown age, but pre-1992. (Intercity Products, 1/2 hp is about all I could find on it - I guess thats the blower). Handler in the attic, but I can't imagine how they got it up there - the biggest hole in the ceiling is the return duct, so maybe they put it up through there. Kind of reluctant to mess with it and tear the house up unless I *have* to.

Have a Goodman 13 seer GSC130601A condenser en route to me. Read varying opinions about whether a 13 seer condenser will work with older coil/blower. Local pro installer says I should have got a new 10 seer condenser instead.

My question is - What are the actual issues (without the voodoo(!)) that affect if a 13 seer condenser will work with the existing handler/coil?

Thanks for reading and any replies.

More efficient systems require larger evap coils. You'll have lots of problems and the system won't cool properly. Any contractor who thinks that putting a 13 SEER condenser on to an old coil is okay isn't worth considering.

Did you consider replacing the compressor?

Dave in NJ

Yes I did consider replacing the compressor

My gut instict was to just replace the compressor. My 'pro' said that was a dumb move and quoted me (insert large $ figure here) to replace the condenser with a 12 seer. Bottom line is he would rather sell me a new condenser unit than put in a new compressor.

Kinda thinking I should have gone that route for a quick fix.

I understand what you are saying, and I am sure for MAX EFFICIENCY a new, larger coil would be best, but why wont a 13 seer condenser cool properly with an older coil? Worst case I would think it would work as well as the broken 10 seer?? Same R22, same lineset size, probably more efficient fan, probably more efficient (uses less power) compressor.

I mean, the condenser is just a box with a fan, coil and a compressor or am I missing something? What makes it 'not work' with an older coil?

Originally posted by amd
    More efficient systems require larger evap coils. You'll have lots of problems and the system won't cool properly. Any contractor who thinks that putting a 13 SEER condenser on to an old coil is okay isn't worth considering.

The fact is that a 13 SEER condenser on a 10 SEER coil is not good business. You would have to be a very smart HVAC tech just to get it to cool but it will not work as designed. Suggest replacing the inside coil for a match to the outside unit. Those are the best answers I can give to a layman.

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum, first time to reply to anything.But I thought it interesting that I just had this very problem. I work at disney in florida at the resorts. One of the rooms ac went down, no compressor,or heat pump unit to match,and no more rooms to offer guest.I was brought a straight cool 4 ton unit which was fine,but was very large,I saw it was a 13seer,I did'nt believe it would work, but for temp, I had to try.To my surprise and all I have heard that it would never work,it runs great and has been for days.pressures good,superheat on fixed orfice great,temp ok too.Also amp draw under rating.I don't believe it would work as a heat pump, or for the reverse senerio.13seer larger inside coil smaller outside condensor.Also I had plenty of size on my suction line at 1 1/8 hope this helps your decision.

WOW post all of the readings,pressures and temps for that install. Indoor wet and dry also. This will be interesting.

Just think how much longer that 14 year old condenser might have lasted had it been installed with the proper indoor unit.

Putting a 13 SEER condenser with that air handler is just sentencing it to death. I have seen several that die within a month because of the lack of size of that coil.

Basically, you are just wasting your money if you don't have the air handler changed out.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

hvac1000
    Professional Member

WOW post all of the readings,pressures and temps for that install. Indoor wet and dry also. This will be interesting

Day 4,79 degees outside temp,start with inside check,73 return,52 supply, 59% RH, 60d wet bulb, fixed orfice .83, check outside, 65/190 psi. 86% RH,comp draw 12.4/ rated 20.2 cond air discharge 91 degrees.6 degree superheat afterabout 10-15 min run time. final check return and supply dropped to 68r and 48s.appears to be ok to me!!!

Good deal now where are the pictures? Would like to see the install.

Sorry, have to wait till next week, my weekend friday saturday.

Bottom line is, if you want to mismatch, thats fine. However, you no one will promise the capcity will be what you want or think it is. The efficiency, in some cases can be worse than the original 10 SEER that was in there and worse yet, the reliability is based on YOUR guess. When things dont perform just right, who can you possibly call? Any mfg will pretty much end the call as soon as they find out you have invented a "franken system" as Robo calls it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast