+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: York Chiller weird alarms

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

York Chiller weird alarms

Model YTH1A4E1CNJ

Weird alarms coming in, chiller will not run it. appears that there is a problem with the diagnostic board. The faults that show up keep changing along with the dates of the faults. Then the fault history will clear and start over again. All of this happens without the chiller even running. Now I am back to my original theory that it caught a stray power surge caused by the storms that went through here over the weekend.

Any thoughts?

Post Likes
    check for short on a sensor or transducer. also check all ribbons and wire connections are pushed in. i just had a yt fail because of this.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chillersinc View Post
    check for short on a sensor or transducer. also check all ribbons and wire connections are pushed in. i just had a yt fail because of this.
    agree, sounds like a loose wire or connection.

Post Likes
    Update... I did check all connections and everything went back to working great. I cant pin point which wire or connection, but i did find a few loose. I think that was it...Thanks for the tip!!

Post Likes
    Depending on York chiller type, there is an external box located over the cooler barrel,weather proof. Has all temp./safety wires in it,I have found rubbed/cut wiring inside giving false alarms,open it up and replace all wirenuts. Should make problems stop at once,
    With severe weather could have become wet inside.

Post Likes
    New issues, The system ran great for a awhile than shut down. Power down and up , screen passes dia. but the unit will not run. I see the red light on MB CR18 failure. any ideas?

Post Likes
    The red light doesn't necessarily mean anything. The manual tells of its function. I think almost every board I've seen has the red light illuminated. Let's get specific...from the M/N it should be an Optiview panel. Is it the original microboard 031-01730-xxx? What do the two lines on the top left of the Optiview home screen say?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dlove
    We can’t run the York at full capacity because it surges. I was told we need to change the variable orifice valve and actuator. Since we don’t run the York during peak times we haven’t needed to run it at full capacity so we haven’t had any issues with it.
    Sorry, but I'm going to hold my BS card up on this statement. But perhaps I don't have all the necessary information. Why are they stating that the problem is with the VOV and actuator? Is the VOV or actuator inoperable? When you run the chiller at less than full load is there a level in the condenser sight glass? Have you programmed a trending screen and trended the level in the condenser? Do you have large changes in the level percentage? If you have the condenser filling and draining you may get it to surge, but it seems more likely that you would run the risk of failing on LEP as you stack too much liquid in the condenser.

Does this chiller have a VSD? Set up a trending screen with ECHW temp (data point 1), LCHW temp (data point 2), Condenser Liquid level (data point 3), % PRV (data point 4), VSD frequency (data point 5) and condneser water inlet (data point 6). Set interval for 5 seconds and start the trend. Take a photo of the screen after the charts fill the screen and post it.

I still want to know how they can possibly condemn both the VOV (a butterfly) and the actuator at the same time. When the chiller is not running have you tried to close the VOV by using the raise/lower liquid level buttons on the condenser screen when in the service mode?

Post Likes
    I agree, Yes it a VSD. I will try to get this done asap. thanks, good input.

I had a similar problem on a carrier and that turned out to be only the actuator, it was messed up. So that's why i had to ask..i just got this feeling in my belly.

Post Likes
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00000005.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	300801Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00000001.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	300811

check this out not sure of the last few numbers 000 or 040....

Post Likes
    O.K., you have a 031-01730-000 board. According to the second photo you are in the local mode and service level and the system is stopped. What happens when you push the rocker switch on the panel to the start/run position? Does the system go into pre-lube? What does the screen (top two lines) say then. In the photo you've shown indicates the rocker switch is off.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KnewYork View Post
    O.K., you have a 031-01730-000 board. According to the second photo you are in the local mode and service level and the system is stopped. What happens when you push the rocker switch on the panel to the start/run position? Does the system go into pre-lube? What does the screen (top two lines) say then. In the photo you've shown indicates the rocker switch is off.
    when we push to run, nothing happens. the screen stays the same.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dlove
    I plan to do this during our winter shut down and PM.
    You, as in yourself? Or are you going to bring someone in to perform the repairs? I haven't heard of a VOV becoming "stuck" and inoperable. It's just a butterfly valve. Have you removed the actuator and tried to turn the VOV with an adjustable wrench? Also, if you take the actuator and set it on the ground can you get it to operate from the condenser level screen (in the service mode)? The actuators shouldn't "fry" because the valve is stuck. Not saying it isn't, but I would be inclined to double check it.

Post Likes
    You, as in yourself? Or are you going to bring someone in to perform the repairs? I haven't heard of a VOV becoming "stuck" and inoperable. It's just a butterfly valve. Have you removed the actuator and tried to turn the VOV with an adjustable wrench? Also, if you take the actuator and set it on the ground can you get it to operate from the condenser level screen (in the service mode)? The actuators shouldn't "fry" because the valve is stuck. Not saying it isn't, but I would be inclined to double check it.
    I've seen this several times. The first valves they used actually had the wrong material in for the seals and the 123 was eating the seals causing them to leak and sometimes freeze up.... a big enough wrench you could move them, but for the most part, they were froze-up. I changed several of these out on warranty/ customer sat work orders.

Post Likes
    update,

so come to find out the VOV is frozen and will not move, which in turn fried the actuator. It amazes me why i have to find this out well after the fact. been this way for sometime from what i have been told. So will make plans to repair it. Not sure when this happened. I'm not on site there a lot and for the most part it runs but never has to fully load. So i guess they figured they didn't have to fix it. but i plan too. This building landed in my lap several months ago, so i have been finding a lot of interesting things. need to find a good York service provider in the Atlanta, GA area.

I plan to do this during our winter shut down and PM.

KnewYork, your know your stuff and i appreciated your input..Thanks

Post Likes
    What have you done to troubleshoot the circuit from the 120 VAC on the terminal block to and through the rocker switch? Start there and follow that path until you find out why you aren't getting power to the point of initiating a run command.

Post Likes
    What have you done to troubleshoot the circuit from the 120 VAC on the terminal block to and through the rocker switch? Start there and follow that path until you find out why you aren't getting power to the point of initiating a run command.
    I had a chance to visit the site and started to check that out. i will follow through. My immediate thought that it may be the switch. I will let you know. Thanks for the fast responce

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dlove View Post
    i will follow through. My immediate thought that it may be the switch. I will let you know. Thanks for the fast responce.
    Inquiring minds want to know...what did you find?

Post Likes
    Inquiring minds want to know...what did you find?
    The switch is good and we have both 120V and 24V to and through the switch. I got called away before I got much farther than that. I traced it to where it goes into the lower circuit board and we have voltage at that point

Post Likes
    dlove, put an email address or allow PM in your profile and I'll send you a referral for a company in Atlanta.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in