Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sidework defined...

Side work is specific work that you are performing while employed in that same field but not for your employer.

I have my day job, which not an HVAC business, I'm a manager. I have a second job, which is run my HVAC business. I have a business model and customer that allows me to focus on my customers after hours and on the weekends. Although it is a second line of work it is not side work. I take it very seriously and run it as a business.

I am licensed, insured, report all income, and treat it as a business, not a hobby. A hobby is something you do to occupy your time. If you want a hobby go race R/C cars and leave the serious work to the serious contractors. Put your foot through someones ceiling or have your buddy fall off a ladder while changing out someone's system and you'll realize real quick what the difference is between "side work to help make ends meet" and "side work that cost me my house and home because I wasn't insured and bonded".

Irishfan's mistake was submitting a question (and a pretty imposing one, at that) to a varied audience and not considering the implications. I'm going to assume (not ignoring the risk) that he's never operated a business, made payroll, stared at a balance sheet or worked 18 hours a day weeks on end to make sure all of his employees and customers are taken care of.

You are mostly right hut-tex,(except the 18 hours a day part,been there done that) I have never run an actuall business or payroll and all of the things that go with running a bussines. Truth is, that is where I want to take my career(in the next three years I should have enough capital to put in it). But alot of guys start there own business by doing what I do. There is also alot of guys that dont also(like diceman)and that is great, I am happy for them. But at this point that just wont work for me. When I do get started I may change my tune and cuss guys like me. Also I knew when I asked the question that I would have all sorts of comments, the subject is as debateable as politics or relgion but that is for a differnt forum.Anyways, I have family down in you part of the country, beutiful state but to darn hot for me!

If your side work is legit...

Taxes
    Insurance
    IRS
    Legit license..
    Pull permits...

I'm all for ya..

If not...

Worry about charlie wies....

Good Luck...

Stephen

"Value our Differences"

Pull permits...

Not needed here.

Wink

Thanks for the encouragement guys, greatly appreciated. oh, by the way it is the competition that needs to worry about charlie weise, they will be serious contenders this year. They have a pretty easy schedule this year and I think that they may run the table. Besides, everybody knows that the offcials gave USC the game last year. Yah, I am one of those types of fans(here we go again!).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123