to bid or not to bid? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thank you lakeman1234, my boss is fully aware of what I do. At my place of employment we do 100% commercial work and 0% residential. My side work is 100% residential and 0% commercial. If my boss did'nt approve, I would'nt jeapordize my job or family by messing with it. I realize that I am taking work away from the local residential contractors and I really do understand their gripe, but unfortuneatly this world is"nt always fair and being mr. fair wont nessiserilly put you kids through college. It is kind of like your car breaks down and your buddy is a mechanic. You could take it to his work and pay 500 bucks or take it to his house on the weekend and pay him 300 bucks. That is pretty cut and dry to me. I win because I get a deal, he wins because he makes some exta $$$ and the only real loser is his employer who has more money than both of us put together anyways. My point is that it is a competitive world.

sic
    Installs, Changeouts, & Heat Stroke.....not necessarily in that order

you have time to do side work?

I squeeze mine in between not sleeping and not sleeping.
    Installs, Changeouts, & Heat Stroke.....not necessarily in that order

irishfan#1 said I realize that I am taking work away from the local residential contractors and I really do understand their gripe.

Me too but the nearest Heating and AC company is in the next town at 15 miles away and the next closest are 35 miles away. I don't take much business from them. But I do think they rake people over the coals excessively around here on repairs. So I do it a bit cheaper I don't have the overhead to contend with, or health insurance. It's a competitive world out there. And there are people who are cheaper than me.

When your company moves to mexico and you have to pay for health insurance you will need to rake um over the coals to.

Maybe but not yet. People will always need drugs. Check my profile.

side work threads always bring out the chest thumping from both sides. truth is most guys whom started their own biz got going by doing side work them selves or cockroaching as some like to call it.

The reality is there always will be side work being done by every trade. the reasons will vary a bit but the common reason behind all of it is "my boss doesn't pay enough for me to pay my bills." The bosses will say you have to stop living beyond your means mean while hes living high driving a 60K vehicle to work his wife has a 70k car at home they have a "cottage" by the lake or at the ski resort meanwhile their labour rate is 79hr ot after 4pm the top rate they pay is 17 hr no OT till 40 no standyby time little or no medical blah blah blah and they will gripe about not being able to find good techs. meanwhile rent in the areas is 1500 month for a 3 bed apt or a house 20 miles out of town

www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

I never did side work, I jumped right into the biz on my own. Saw the guys messing up my dads biz by doing side work, using his trucks and supplies and stealing his customers.
    If your boss approves and you have time and insurance and whatever well that's better but......as you can see by your thread you are working cheap and hurting the industry in general. Some day you will realize that.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

You have a good boss too, don't take advantage of it or it might come back to bite you in the butt.

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

differences aside, point well taken. Anyways enough of all this jazz, you must be a Steelers fan, is that quaterback of yours going to be healed up in time to embarass my beloved Indianapolis Colts again this year?

Originally posted by irishfan#1
    differences aside, point well taken. Anyways enough of all this jazz, you must be a Steelers fan, is that quaterback of yours going to be healed up in time to embarass my beloved Indianapolis Colts again this year?
    Yeah, that's the game plan...........

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

How about gettin another "Hobby"

If you have ...

A State Lisense..

Liabilty insurance..

Report ALL your earnings to the IRS...

Good for you...

I have a customer base that is more than I can handle...

But...
    Unlicensed
    hacks
    make
    the
    whole
    industry ....look
    like ..$hit
    Don't cross my path

Stephen

[Edited by stephy on 07-21-2006 at 09:53 PM]
    "Value our Differences"