Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    We've had record heat here for several days, and I'm gradually getting used to it. I think you can build up a tolerance to it after a while. I've ridden my mountain bike when it was 111F outside, and when it was 12F. I like the 111F better.

It feels almost pleasant walking out into the 100F air after coming down from an attic.

water and gatoraide do it for me. truck i run now is the first one i ever had with a/c. have not used it yet, i think running service and jumping in and out of a/c would be worse than sweating it out. heat does seem more tolerable than it did 15 yrs and 60 lbs ago.

ct_hvac_tech:

I used to be exactly the same way... lethargic.

It's been 95F 70-95%RH all week here.

Monday I was up at 5am and had an egg muffin (Egg, ham, 1/2" slice tomato and whole wheat muffin) thing I make at home, cuppa, good shower and was out at 6:30am. drive to be in a town south of here for 7:15, it was already 85 outside and 100 inside the plant, set up my chainfall and tore the Maxon burner and lid off a vertical downshot 6,000MBH Konus gas fired oil heater that operates at 450F and melts the tread off my shoes every year, until 11am when the guy doing the thickness analysis got there. I seriously looked like I had just climbed out of a pool fully dressed. After giving this 6'6" tall 300lbs guy a hand because he seriously hurt just to look at, I packed that in for the day (re-assembled yesterday), Back in Barrie went home, had a shower and new clothes by 1pm, (snuck a couple of posts on here as well) went to the Holiday Inn back in Barrie, adjusted to indoor pool temp on their dry-o-tron and checked operation, which is in their boiler room too, then removed and repaired 3 PTACs for the rest of the afternoon until 7pm...

...and I swear this was one of the best days I've had in a long time.

Routine, man.
    First off, GET ENOUGH SLEEP. Anything less than 8 hours STRAIGHT for an adult male is not enough. If you have AC all the better, but a ceiling fan on low is a great thing to sleep under.

Eat breakfast, nothing too heavy. I will eat 3/4 cup Bran flakes and yogurt with a little milk one morning, 3/4 cup of canned fruit packed in juice the next morning or treat my self once in a while to the egg thing as mentioned above or a 1 egg spanish omelette, 1 slice toast and a 1/2 cup brown beans on the side. Drink, tea, milk or fruit juice.

As mentioned by others DRINK TONS, but not so much that you feel sick. Even water can only pass at a certain rate and it is possible to sweat more than you can drink and absorb. Your bod gotta adjust. The more you drink over time the more use your bod will make of it. James is right on with the Crystalite singles in a bottle of water. I carry them all the time, winter too. I like Dole fruit juices in the cans as well. Sugar ain't the best thing to be trying to quench your thurst with, but I give in to the REAL fruit juices.

Remember this word:
    e·lec·tro·lyte: Physiology. Any of various ions, such as sodium, potassium, or chloride, required by cells to regulate the electric charge and flow of water molecules across the cell membrane. This is the one downfall of water alone... No electrolytes. Remember what was said above about water absorption. No electrolytes creates limited absorption.

This is why Drs. tell you to drink ginger ale or 7up when you are sick. They have electrolytes. Try diet 7up, Sprite or something once in a while. But not too much diet stuff... I find it seizes(pains) my joints up after a while and makes me even more lethargic. I've actually gone back to sugar for alot of things because if this problem, just much less of it.

Don't eat too much for lunch. If I ate at Wendy's alone, some days I'd have the spring salad, another day the #1 burger without fries, but a side salad instead, once in a while a baked potato with the #1 instead of the salad. Diet Coke/Pepsi, Fruitopia or MM Light Lemonaide, or even just water.

Do what you want after work, but don't eat heavy or exercise past 8-9pm during the week. You won't sleep well...alrighty then... Go to bed and get 8 hours... This 8 hours can include some extra-curricular activities if you like. Something to relax you... Hmmm, Anything coming to mind??

Your energy level will soar... and you will notice that in a day or 2. If you feel hungry, get used to it. That is the #1 reason people fall off their diets. They feel hungry, but, like smoking, the real craving only lasts a few moments. Out reach, out of mind. Boredom is the #2 reason.

By the way... I'm 5'8", 225lbs 46yrs and I have been feeling better the last couple of years than I have since I was 20 and 185lbs and I have a good hobby in music.

Sorry this post is so long, but it might help you sleep better.

Remember... Your getting sleepy...sleep.....slee......sle.......ZZZZzzzzzzz .

Goodnight now.
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2˘.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

ahhhh barrie-gods country.nothing like wasaga beach on a long weekend to check out the ladies.

iv'e got quite a list of techniques to prepare for & survive the heat. this looks like a good subject for a long post. i wear a big stupid looking straw hat,the kind you might see on a mexican pangero (or a gardner this far north) they dont wear them for fasion .the straw soaks up sweat & you get evaporation working for you plus take the shade with you. i carry some white terrycloth shop towels "golly rags" ( cause, "golly its hot on this roof" ) to soak with water & mop your brow and neck. i rotate gallon milk jugs through the freezer to have a gallon of ice water every day. if you are going into the attic you need to know the warning signs, heat can kill you. before i head up i tank up on cold water to cool the core temp. when your scalp gets "tingly" thats a warning sign. go down & tank up again ,take a break, dip in the pool if they have one. dont worry about work ethic this is hazardous duty. if you stop sweating its beyond warning its a danger sign. we had a boss dry up on us a couple of years ago. he got all disoriented & we held him down & ran the hose on him.(we got his core temp. down) so keep an eye on your coworkers too. the trick is to keep sweating like a pig. the next thing is that after a couple of days of this you should just assume you are depleted ,because you are. no need to let the cramps set in to prove it,you can get awful sick. "all" the different salts ,minerels & electrolites your body sweats out need to be
    replentished. gatoraide wont do it ,i use severel drink mixes i buy at health food stores designed for runners. the first time i tried some was when i had been sick for two weeks with cramps so bad it took me an hour in the morning to get my arms & legs to fully extend.i customer gave me some & 25 min. later i was fine. amazing! light meals,salads,no sodas ,plenty of rest, switch to ice tea if you eat at fast food.
    best of all.......fat paychecks to all.

ct_hvac_tech:

Originally posted by cold in alberta
    ahhhh barrie-gods country.nothing like wasaga beach on a long weekend to check out the ladies.
    Wasaga- Longest freshwater beach in the world. We like to walk the boardwalk there from September to April, before and after the snow. The rough water of Georgian Bay in spring and fall reminds my wife of North Point in her birth country, Barbados... just not the temps.

During the summer we walk Barrie's boardwalk. Lots to do here on the beach and quite a few "thangs to see"

from scarborough and lived in barrie for 6 months after high school before i moved to edmonton.spent many a day and night at wasaga and at concerts at molson park.those were the days-lol,im only 34

ct_hvac_tech:

Originally posted by cold in alberta
    from scarborough and lived in barrie for 6 months after high school before i moved to edmonton.spent many a day and night at wasaga and at concerts at molson park.those were the days-lol,im only 34
    How do you like Edmonton instead of S. Ontario?

My brother lives in Aldergrove BC (near Abbotsford) and I'm seriously thinking about moving. Going to see him for 6 days in August... first holiday in 26 years.

Concerts.. Saw Brian Adams there in 92 as well aas a bunch of others.

love it here-wages are excellent-cost of living way lower-no PST ,close to mountains.but southern ont. is definitly my second choice.economy here ridiculous right now,if youre coming come soon,it is getting extremely hot in the oil patch right now.

Talking

Originally posted by tr23
    Our boss thinks AC in trucks is a waste of money. His truck has it though.
    Sounds like your boss might be a little "cheap"

water

yeah drink all that water if you want to you will be looking for the bathroom all day

I work in new/remodel construction. In the summertime, from the time I get to work until I go home, I sweat and drink water all day long to help with the heat. Water is the best solution for me.

Oh yeah...and a Red Bull in the morning.
    Get back to work.™

Not running the a/c in the van in between calls is crazy! This cools your body down, cooling the body down is a good thing. That is why we sweat, evaporative cooling. Stay in the 65 degree air as long as possible says me. It will make you sleepy though, so keep it 'tween them ditches!
    Luke 6:31

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast