Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tell me if it is just me or if it is everyone.

When it is hot, and humid like it has been here in new england the last few days, I just have no energy at all.

My last few years have been very lucky, as my service calls during big heat waves are easy ones. But if I get, say on a roof when it is 95 or 100 degrees, I have no energy at all and I am literally just dragging my ass around.

I don't know how guys do it, but I know several guys that will haul everything up to a roof top to do a compressor changeout, change the compressor, and haul it all back down, all when it is over 100 degrees, like it is nothing, and go on to the next service call, moving along at 100 miles an hour. These guys get as many as 10 service calls done in a day.

I am lucky to get in 6 service calls a day when it is like this. It's like my brain is literally just fried. Even though I drink lots of water, ETC when I get up on a roof, I get a haedache and I sometimes have to get the hell off the roof before I faint.

In an attic, forget it. I swaer I spend more time wiping the sweat off of my face than I do actually working. I will do one thing, sit and rest, do another, sit and rest, and so on.

Am I just seriously out of shape, or are some people just not meant to take the heat?

Summer is my favorite time of the year. I like it when it gets hot, because that makes A/C work, and I love doing A/C service calls.

But how do the guys that run around every day in the heat like that do it?

I have seen many people's pics on here of work they've done in the swealtering heat (PaysonHVAC is a perfect example.)

He literally just gets in, gets it done, and at that, does a very high quality job, gets out, and on to the next call he goes, and does the same thing.

Is it just something you have to get used to? I would love to be t hat kind of a technician, but when it is that hot, I always have to keep stopping to rest, and when I am in that kind of a situation, I have no ambition which makes me more aloppy than I would be, say on the same job when it is 70 out.

Maye I need to join a gym.

ct_hvac_tech, I have lived in the South Georgia & North Florida area all my 31 years and you dont get use to it. You just deal with it. It usually hits 90 by late April. The humidity follows shortly there after. I have been in attics,roofs,mechanical rooms,boiler rooms and all the while praying for a cold front. I ask my self the same question about the Yankee community every year when the news shows me the new winter storm that plows thru with a fresh 12-24" of snow...how do they do it? Bottom line no work no pay. Get after it.
    You are who you are and where you are because of what you think.

I've been taking an aspirin a day for about 15 years now. Heat doesn't bother me. I take the generic Walgreen enteric (sp?) aspirin-they disolve past your stomach so as not to cause stomach problems. I bleed like a stuck pig when cut, though. I started doing this because I heard they help you deal with high ambient temps, but now know an aspirin a day good for lot's o' things.
    Can't hurt, can only help.

LOTS OF WATER!!!!! and lots of bad words when I get a service call and the unit is in the attic I found for me...water gatoraid and such is the best for keeping me going....between calls and while doing paper work...sit in the van and crank the ac...

Like seawolf said about driveing in snow...never understood how u all do that...drove in 1/2 inch of the stuff 2 times and I looked like a drunk old man driveing slow and all over the road. Never understood how smokers up north do it...cant imagin going outside in blowing snow....30 below zero and trying to relax and enjoy a smoke Id just light up inside and get fired
    73% of Americans say that illegal immigration is a problem. The other 27% say, "No habla inglis!"

It don't get any easier as you get older, you just stop whining about it so much

I jump from an air conditioned truck to air conditioned offices all day and I haven't been dry for a week.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

I sweat. Whadda YOU do?
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

I pack a cooler full of ice and bottled water. Sometimes gatorade. I also use those little sugar free crystalite flavor things

Soft drinks will kill you. Eating a lot of food makes it worse. Getting rest is also important.

Being near the beach in South Georgia it is almost a incentive to get out and check out the camel toes.

Thank you Jesus.

"Being near the beach in South Georgia it is almost a incentive to get out and check out the camel toes."

Im jealous!!
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.

Theodore Roosevelt

Your welcome james.

Originally posted by coolwhip
    "Being near the beach in South Georgia it is almost a incentive to get out and check out the camel toes."

Im jealous!!
    Yes, it isn't often you see them either!

Our boss thinks AC in trucks is a waste of money. His truck has it though.

When I lived in Plano TX, we would work in those nasty attics until it got 130 - 135 up there and get the hell out. We survived on water, bananas (potassium) and more water. Now back in CT, the heat is nowhere near as bad as there, but getting older means less tolerance, but also working smarter. Keep the sun off your head, keep hydrated, and don't blast the ac in the van between calls. There's the headache. And call in sick during snowstorms!!!! I'll drive in that crap when I get a 4wd van.

I'm trying to get most of my work done by 2:00 pm and because I am a one man band I can do that. I was setting a 4-ton HP at 6:00am this morning in order to beat that sun on the east side of the house.
    I don't tolerate the direct sun like I used to(being 63 probably has something to do with that.)
    But I can stand the indirect heat as well as ever.
    Lots of ice water and I have got in the van and run the a/c to cool down.
    "FIGHT CRIME: SHOOT BACK"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast