So I received my personal property tax re-adjustment notice yesterday.It was re-assesed just last year.

THEY HAD RE-ASSESSED IT FOR $300,000 MORE THAN I GAVE FOR IT. I called and was nice and polite but told them I almost had a heart attack and that based on their value they could take me and family to the POOR HOUSE. Oh yeah and no it is not worth the extra $300,000 nothing has changed since we bought last year and the appraisials were done.

Today we went to courthouse to file an appeal. Luckily the lady said sorry we installed a new computer system and your data is WRONG. We still disagree with them on valuation and think it should be reduced another 45,000 based on the 2005 bank appraisial.

I think we dodged a big mortar shell. I just supposed it would be a fight.

Now I wish it were worth what they said cause we would be outta here and counting our money.

Its happening all over . Thats why all the cities are tying up the land around them claiming they need open space. The land gets tied up so it can never be used ,then the start claiming they need infill on what is left. Prices of houses skyrocket because land prices get so high and the cities have just about doubled the taxes they can collect because that $150,000 house is now being claimed is worth $300,000.

I dont know what it is where you are but Im seeing a lot of houses that 5 years ago were selling in the $240,000 to $340,000 range that they are now claiming are in the 1 to 1 1/2 million dollar range just depanding if they are on a golf course. Its nuts that people are buying them being they are getting some type of creative financing. No way they should be valued at that but being builders and realitors are playing games withe the values, they can get them in it claiming that they got this big down payment that was really not there. The homeowners going ......look what I live in now, he has no clue whats going to happen when things slow down.

I cant beleive that this can keep going on but then I dont know what an person can do when the live and work in a town, and cant pack up and leave once they start getting taxed to death. Its just not that easy to pack up and move where there is any common sense, although who knows where that is lol. It will be interesting when the banks start having to forclose on some of these houses being it will be cheaper for a homeowner of one to walk off on it then to pay for something that he paid more then double what its worth.

Im not sure who is the main problem ???????? City government , realitors, Builders , or the people that own the major portions of land surounding most of the cities out there. It just sounds like it is happening all over the country right now and is a big problem that at some time you would thing must be corected.

It just seems that they keep changing things to keep the houses being slammed in using government money for affordable housing or funds for low income to build homes and it looks like half the stuff ends up rentals for the builders or realitors and never does go for getting someone in something they can afford. Funny that its leagal , but they are doing it anyway. I just seem to see this all over.

It just seems like once one city did it all of them used it as a model for their town to do it. All over Oregon , Washington, Calif, hell its happening all over. just read something that sounded like the same thing in San Francisco.

AM I WRONG ??????????

[Edited by dec on 07-19-2006 at 06:43 PM]

We passed regulation a few years ago that prevents the value from going up more than 3% a year unless the property is sold. If sold, it goes to current value at that time. Of course what that translated to was an automatic increase of 3% every year whether it was deserved or not.

That may have been 5% not 3%, I can't seem to remember off the top of my head.
    Never knock on Death's door. Ring the bell and run, he hates that.

Views expressed here are my own and not neccessarily those of any company I am affiliated with.

In California durring the 1970's what people were paying in property taxes were going 300 to 400 percent each year. That is why and how prop 13 got passed. Assesment is baised on sale price and can go up only 2% per year.
    Old snipes don't die they just loose their steam

JUst another way for yet another level of govt to bend the punter aka the public over a barrel and shove it in us.

we are pretty loose and worn out by the time the municiple govt gets to us first the feds income tax then the provinical income tax then the feds get another turn with the gst then its the province sales tax then its fed gas taxes then province gas taxes provinical ecco fees user fees. then its transit taxes whew we are worn out. NOT so fast the city wants a turn with school taxes ppty taxes water and sewer and road taxes.

its nice we a re all lubed up by the time the city has its turn I can hardly feel the tax grab at all
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

I live in a new neighborhood. When houses were being sold there was alot of creative financing, and after one year alot of people found out that their escrow had been miscalculated. There house payments in some cases shot up $500 a month. For sale signs everywhere. Mine went up $300. After much *****ing and many phone calls I found out that not only did I get screwed but it was legit.
    Installs, Changeouts, & Heat Stroke.....not necessarily in that order

The county R.E. taxes here have increased at twice the level of inflation over the last 10 years. A tax advocacy group has been formed here to attempt to make them hold the taxes to the inflation level. But they're not getting anywhere.

When we bought our house here 8 years ago, we got the appraisal notice and it was 25% more than we paid for the house 4 months earlier (It had been on the market for 6 months before we bought it). I protested it and they backed off to the selling price. But the next year they raised the appraisal 36%.

Here is what they said about mine...

1- Computer glitch. Yeah right they are talking to a 38 year veteran of the little bitty black box.
    2- We agree with you. But you still have to appeal it.
    3- I appealed and built a case to take 45,000 more off what they said it was worth last year.
    4- I was armed to the hilt with 2005 appraisals comps and what I paid.

But no one of this may matter. They will do what they want to do. I can assure them if they screw me over:

I will go to court
    I will go to media.

But all in all government has more money and more time than old average Joe. Alls I want to do is pay my fair share, do the right things in life, raise my kids.

When I went to appeal my property taxes, I made an appointment for Friday, December 23rd, at 4:00pm.

The review board was waiting in the room when I get there. I brought a really thick stack of papers, sat down, and ignored them all for a good long time while I shuffled and sorted and organized and stacked and got out my pencils and pens and calculator. I let them fidget and roll their eyes and check their watches a few times before I said a word. I think one guy finally got up and left.

Sometime around 4:25, they all agreed that my numbers were correct, and nobody wanted to argue about it any more. My assessed value got reduced by about 35% that day.
    "If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a KA." - Albert Einstein

It's later than you think.

Here's a big part of the problem:

When you go there to argue with them, they'll point out that there are several homes in the area that are *similar* to yours, and they have much higher appraisal values.

The person making the determination that this home is *similar* to yours is often visually and and mentally impaired.

It's often the same person who decided that those more expensive homes that were *similar* to yours were earlier found to be *similar* to homes that cost more than them, etc., etc.

You know, there's one part of this that I really have a problem with..

1. I work all week. When I get my check, Governor Rod has already had his hand in my pocket.

2. Ok, I got my check, and I'm on the way to the lumberyard to get materials for the new garage I'm building. Now I have to pay another 7.5% on that stuff.

3. I drag all my stuff home, and nail it together in the back yard. As I'm nailing the last shingle on the ridge, there's a guy walking up my driveway. It's the assessor, who says my property is now worth more, and I have to pay again.

Why do I have to pay taxes on this THREE TIMES?
    "If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a KA." - Albert Einstein

It's later than you think.

see my post above ralph and don't forget to get all lubed up
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Our area can hit you for a max of 10% increase in appraised value per year.
    Saddle Up!