Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HDPE pipe insulation

We are looking at running our GLS & GLR under the building vs around the building. The engineer said that its ok as long as we insulate the pipe to keep the ground from freezing from low pipe temps. He said to box it in with the foam insulation used on footings. Is their any manufacture or other means that you guys have seen that we could use that would be applicable?
    If you think our goverment is screwed up. You haven't lived in another country.

JMHO,

If the pipe size is conducive to sleaving in pvc, it makes a bullet proof protector for the pipe in/under concrete. You could then box it in with what ever half a$$ed plan the engineer has for that foam board. A lot neater and workmanlike install will be the result.

We have also seen other mechanicals simply use that slip on or split foam insulation, but that offers no protection for the pipe. The heat from cureing concrete can and will deform your hdpe if not protected and insulated.

Hope this helps
    Eric

Thanks Eric it does help. The pipe is at 4' depth. They are concerned about the glycol/water at 32* freezing the ground and affecting the slab at that time. The point is really moot as we have another completed project the same size 100 yards away and our GLS/GLR temps never go below 40 durring the winter. But you cant go wrong if you have worse case implimented as the units will operate down to 23*.

That was going to be my default position. What does the design temp /ewt/ forecast for the end of heating season. We are primarily concerned with protecting the pipe more so than freeze protection, but it will serve two functions.

What is your frost depth in your AO? If the pipeing is below that level, how will the slab tell the differance between the S&R lines and the Earth?
    Eric

Not sure what the design temps are. Engineers are tight with their calcs. I tried to get the heat load out of them, they responded with " you don't need them".

Our frost line is at 18" thats a good point though. I'm not going to argue with them though they are ultimately responsible for it. Until something goes wrong and the try to blame my insall anyway lol

I live by this credo

Wrestling with an engineer is like wrestling a pig, you just keep getting dirtier and they just want more! lol

Good luck
    Eric

yep lol

Try installing in a engineers house...........uggg

I will see your engineers house and raise you "consulting engineer, for another engineers build".
    I needed therapy after that job.
    Eric

UOhhh, and I will see your consulting engineer and raise you a RETIRED consulting engineer, with nothing better to do but stand over your shoulder while you work.

My condolances, you win!
    That scenario trumps anything I got.
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by SolarMike View Post
    UOhhh, and I will see your consulting engineer and raise you a RETIRED consulting engineer, with nothing better to do but stand over your shoulder while you work.
    Done a few of those, when done right though they become one of your best referral sources. I always work engineers after putting in a system getting them to refer me to their friends.
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

Quote Originally Posted by SkyHeating View Post
    Done a few of those, when done right though they become one of your best referral sources. I always work engineers after putting in a system getting them to refer me to their friends.
    I have too but once and awhile you get one of those that wants to question everything you do AND their area of expertise was chemical engineering, not mechanical.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast