+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need some advice

Post Likes

Need some advice

First post on here, but have been reading for a while now. I need some advice from people that don't personally know. I have just graduated from tech school as of three weeks ago, and am currently employed at a small shop close to home here. I have been working there for about six months now, mostly residential clean and checks, but also service,and also part of the on call rotation. I have a couple questions about the field, and I'm hoping that you guys have some information that will help me.

1. I am considered a pre apprentice at this union shop, and I just learned over the weekend that I am not supposed to be doing any service work, as it is against union rules. I have been told that it could ruin my chances of being a journeyman in the future. I have a bad feeling that if I bring it up to my boss he will show me the door, because I know he loves my cheap labor, so what do I do?

2. Like I said, I have always wanted to be a commercial service tech, or a commercial controls guy. What does it take to get hired to a big shop? I have called, sent my resume, even had an interview at a local controls shop last week, but he said he wouldn't have an answer for a month. I guess, what do I need to do to stand out? I am willing to work, I am wanting to learn, but I just can't seem to get any answers.

Thanks guys.

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=k5blazerboy;13431121]First post on here, but have been reading for a while now. I need some advice from people that don't personally know. I have just graduated from tech school as of three weeks ago, and am currently employed at a small shop close to home here. I have been working there for about six months now, mostly residential clean and checks, but also service,and also part of the on call rotation. I have a couple questions about the field, and I'm hoping that you guys have some information that will help me.

1. I am considered a pre apprentice at this union shop, and I just learned over the weekend that I am not supposed to be doing any service work, as it is against union rules. I have been told that it could ruin my chances of being a journeyman in the future. I have a bad feeling that if I bring it up to my boss he will show me the door, because I know he loves my cheap labor, so what do I do? Talk to your union rep. and who ever told you this ask them to show it to you in writing. But if i was you, i would do what I'm asked to do as long you can handle it.

2. Like I said, I have always wanted to be a commercial service tech, or a commercial controls guy. What does it take to get hired to a big shop? I have called, sent my resume, even had an interview at a local controls shop last week, but he said he wouldn't have an answer for a month. I guess, what do I need to do to stand out? I am willing to work, I am wanting to learn, but I just can't seem to get any answers. you need time under your belt before you start looking for other work. We don't like jumpers. two years or less in one place makes me think something is not right. Hang in there you have much to learn.

Thanks guys.

Post Likes
    1. Problem is that I'm not indentured into the union as my boss is trying to keep me under the radar. Trying to keep the union from knowing I'm there.

2. I'm looking for an apprenticeship, I know I don't have the skills needed to work at another shop as an experienced technician. I am looking for more training, more schooling. I want to learn as much as I can, so I don't find myself in situations I cannot resolve.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by k5blazerboy View Post
    1. Problem is that I'm not indentured into the union as my boss is trying to keep me under the radar. Trying to keep the union from knowing I'm there.

2. I'm looking for an apprenticeship, I know I don't have the skills needed to work at another shop as an experienced technician. I am looking for more training, more schooling. I want to learn as much as I can, so I don't find myself in situations I cannot resolve.
    All i can say is find out how long they intend on keep you in this position. I"m sure others will chime in on this for ya. But if it was me, i would ask some questions. maybe your in trial period, I don't know. But i would find out when i can get into the union, whats the procedures, what do i fill out. Who do i talk to. etc..

There is no harm in asking. Unless the employer sucks. But i would talk to the owner directly and lay it out on the table. see what he says. However, i get the feeling everyone knows who you are and what you do.

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=k5blazerboy;13431581]1. Problem is that I'm not indentured into the union as my boss is trying to keep me under the radar. Trying to keep the union from knowing I'm there.

This is worry some. Each and every shop is usually under contract to keep certain ratios. The number of tradesmen, apprentices to journeymen. In our area it is 3 to 1 journeymen to apprentice ratio. He is trying to pull a fast one, be careful.
    I STARTED WITH NOTHING, AND I STILL HAVE MOST OF IT!

Post Likes
    I don't think it can hurt you chances of becomming a journeymen in the future. In some areas apprentiships only start certain times of the year, and if hired after that date, then you will be a pre-apprentice until the next starting point.

I would ask the boss what the deal is, and be sure your expectations are clear.

Post Likes
    If you go to a big city in a non-union state you would probably do better. Less burdensome regulations and more freedom to conduct business with less red tape and paperwork.

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=dlove;13431521]
    Quote Originally Posted by dlove View Post

two years or less in one place makes me think something is not right. Hang in there you have much to learn.
    I think you missed the mark here, HVAC is seasonal and some companies have a hard time providing 40 hours even in busy seasons. Everyone should be looking for security, sitting at home to fulfill years of being employed at one company is good for the employer and bad for the employee.

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=jrmech;13433191]

I think you missed the mark here, HVAC is seasonal and some companies have a hard time providing 40 hours even in busy seasons. Everyone should be looking for security, sitting at home to fulfill years of being employed at one company is good for the employer and bad for the employee.
    No i didn't miss the mark, and i understand there are exceptions. But having to read many resumes over the years and talking to other industry professionals, when you show you jump in and out it sends up a red flag. If someone has several jobs in just a few years, they should be prepared to explain themselves. But i can tell you, i will pass them up in the first round of resume selections. That's just plan a fact.

This OP is young and learning I would rather have him tuff it out then to quit in 6 months or a year. This is a cycle you don't want to get into a habit of.

and to your point, why do those who find them selves coming and going continue to be in that situation? if they produced there would be work for them. Some people like this style and that's ok but, for those who want to work full time, all the time will choose their employer carefully. I wouldn't take a job knowing i could be let go after the summer. But to be clear, I'm not saying don't work seasonal if you need the money, but know this upfront and when you take the job be ready to explain one or two short employment stretches when your asked. But if you worked in 5 places in five years well good luck.

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=dlove;13433611]
    Quote Originally Posted by jrmech View Post

No i didn't miss the mark, and i understand there are exceptions. But having to read many resumes over the years and talking to other industry professionals, when you show you jump in and out it sends up a red flag. If someone has several jobs in just a few years, they should be prepared to explain themselves. But i can tell you, i will pass them up in the first round of resume selections. That's just plan a fact.

This OP is young and learning I would rather have him tuff it out then to quit in 6 months or a year. This is a cycle you don't want to get into a habit of.

and to your point, why do those who find them selves coming and going continue to be in that situation? if they produced there would be work for them. Some people like this style and that's ok but, for those who want to work full time, all the time will choose their employer carefully. I wouldn't take a job knowing i could be let go after the summer. But to be clear, I'm not saying don't work seasonal if you need the money, but know this upfront and when you take the job be ready to explain one or two short employment stretches when your asked. But if you worked in 5 places in five years well good luck.
    I'm just saying that assumption may hinder your effectiveness of hiring personnel. There is no loyalty today coming from employers or empoloyees. I worked in the corporate world prior to HVAC and it was the same thing there...this is the new way of things to go, 20 year seniority is long gone.

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=jrmech;13434741]

I'm just saying that assumption may hinder your effectiveness of hiring personnel. There is no loyalty today coming from employers or empoloyees. I worked in the corporate world prior to HVAC and it was the same thing there...this is the new way of things to go, 20 year seniority is long gone.
    Its not an assumption it is a fact. you can Google this subject and you will see. the average is about 2 to 4 years. and yes that depends on the type of work, demographics and age.

in short if i have 20 resumes with 10 Techs having a low turn around and 10 with high turn around. Where do you think i will place my attention? There is no shortage of guys looking for work.

Post Likes
    If the opportunity arises I will jump on the chance to get into a commercial shop. Residential is not my thing, and I got into this field already knowing that. Whether it is controls, balancing, or service, I am jumping on the first commercial opportunity I get.

Also, what is your guys opinion about me being on call? I graduated 3 weeks ago, been working here since November though. Just need opinions. I am OK with it, but I have met a lot of people that are OK with it as well as against it.

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=dlove;13435171]
    Quote Originally Posted by jrmech View Post

Its not an assumption it is a fact. you can Google this subject and you will see. the average is about 2 to 4 years. and yes that depends on the type of work, demographics and age.

in short if i have 20 resumes with 10 Techs having a low turn around and 10 with high turn around. Where do you think i will place my attention? There is no shortage of guys looking for work.
    There is in Florida.

Post Likes
    Not in the union but just keep doing what your doing, that whole jumping thing does make difference in these parts and is pretty frown upon, even though many say loyalty doesnt' matter it does but the bottom line is you putting food in your mouth and your kids if you have one. My career services rep at trade just told me like this " they don't give a commitment to keep you employed for 3-5 years theres no need for you to do the same if something comes up" which makes sense but in your world and mine its pretty small and word spreads fast about you like a tech rep. So I suggest just getting to know what your suppose to know and learn it pretty damn well. I understand your running service and doing pm's but after getting a year or two under your belt things may change so for loyalty purposes and to get a little more season just try to stay if you can. I am just outta school and the commercial/industrial HVAC was the goal, I love residential work too something about being on the roofs on homes just bring back memories of being a little bad a$$ kid, anyways Its a small world buddy and I am in a weird situation myself. I just got hired on a gas/fire insert spa insert business it does heating and they work with electrical/installation of those systems but its not what my degree was geared towards or thought I was going to be doing the next couple years. But I like the place 12 bucks starting out and they are family run business that made a long term commitment to me so I am going to learn everything I can be the best worker for them that I can representing myself in a positive manner for the HVAC techs as well as the trade college that helped me get the job. The crazy thing is that I have went on serveral interviews that deal with HVAC maintenance/HVAC shops and if a week or two they call to interview or put in me on their team I would love to entertain the idea but feel my loyalty lies with who gave me an opportunity first and your word should matter when you accept the job. Good luck buddy and tell us how it works out and congrats on school and getting into union thats pretty awesome in itself. Have a cool one

Post Likes
    Don't make the mistake of working for just one shop. Even though it might look good on a resume you can learn more and further your position easier by keeping all options open.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by k5blazerboy View Post
    Sounds like trouble. If the union finds out about you, that could very well hurt your chances of getting in. Do the right thing by the union, go talk to them. They will appreciate that. Who said you were a pre-apprentice? Your boos or the union?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in