Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: L.I. New York

Bruce

One reason you start at $8 to 10 is the lack of experience. Schools are needed yes, but I haven’t found one yet that teaches real world experiences.
    If I hire you for $8 an hour there’s another $4 to 6 going to workman’s comp, unemployment insurance, you name it. That doesn’t include benefits. For the first 2 years you’re costing me money. Years 3 & 4 we might break even. So were both paying for your education. You need to pay your dues like everyone else.

danny x Guest
    [i]Any advice? [/B]
    My advice to you is to breathe, eat, and drink HVAC/R. The faster you learn to install service and repair equipment, the sooner you will be on your way to earning a very nice income. I am not sure what type of school you attend, but if you were to intern weekends with a local company, your skill set would be that much stronger when you graduate from the program and apply for job.

Dan

pecmsg: I am still trying to figure out who you are

Originally posted by pecmsg
    Bruce

One reason you start at $8 to 10 is the lack of experience. Schools are needed yes, but I haven’t found one yet that teaches real world experiences.
    If I hire you for $8 an hour there’s another $4 to 6 going to workman’s comp, unemployment insurance, you name it. That doesn’t include benefits. For the first 2 years you’re costing me money. Years 3 & 4 we might break even. So were both paying for your education. You need to pay your dues like everyone else.

Why don't you hire them in at minimum wage, then you wouldn't lose so much? But then again you wouldn't be able to hire anybody. Also I never said anything about 10 dollars an hour, that wouldn't be to bad, I said 8, which is poverty level. This all goes back to what I was saying earlier about needing to charge more instead of trying to cut each others throat. Is there any other trade that you could go to school for two years and get out and expect to make 8 dollars an hour? I do believe that a person should pay his dues but at 8 dollars an hour I believe he is being taken advantage of. Also I know when a person gets done with school he doesn't know his a$$ from a hole in the ground, but I do not believe that it takes two years before he is a productive worker (unless he is an idiot). I know that no matter how long you do this there is always room for improvement, but I believe that the increments or improvement get smaller year by year and you will probably learn more in the first year than all the others combined. I think if someone shows the dedication of going to school they should be able to earn more and you should be able to tell whether they are worth the investment within a month or two and if they are not, fire them and get someone else. Maybe this is why you people are having such a hard time finding people, who wants to go to school for two years to earn peanuts?

Originally posted by danny x
    [i]Any advice?
    My advice to you is to breathe, eat, and drink HVAC/R. The faster you learn to install service and repair equipment, the sooner you will be on your way to earning a very nice income. I am not sure what type of school you attend, but if you were to intern weekends with a local company, your skill set would be that much stronger when you graduate from the program and apply for job.

Dan

pecmsg: I am still trying to figure out who you are [/B]

The thought of being an intern has crossed my mind, but I have no idea where to begin. How does one inquire about an intern position? I have never seen an intern position advertised. Should you just start cold calling people? The school that I attend does have an intern program that will earn you college credit but you have to find the job. That kind of leaves me at square one. Does anybody have any advice?

I agree with you 100% Bruce.
    I was paying a high school kid $11.00 per hour and he was a junior. We need to get everyone to pay much netter for starting wages or no one will come into this industry.
    I was getting $8.00 15 years ago and went to $14 in 2.5 years. I believe that a $14.00 starting wage is needed in the Northeast.

Brian aka Goldcoast

Originally posted by danny x
    [i]Any advice?
    pecmsg: I am still trying to figure out who you are [/B]
    You going to the convention? Send me an e-mail.

Originally posted by Freezeking2000
    I agree with you 100% Bruce.
    I was paying a high school kid $11.00 per hour and he was a junior. We need to get everyone to pay much netter for starting wages or no one will come into this industry.
    I was getting $8.00 15 years ago and went to $14 in 2.5 years. I believe that a $14.00 starting wage is needed in the Northeast.

Brian aka Goldcoast

I'm glad to see somebody does.

right, here! in the heartland of the homeland!

Bruce

sign on with a union service company that does hvac service, or install what ever you do
    and ask the rep for a company referral , that a company might need to hire an intern or an ongoing apprentice, and that might help with tution or all of it, and that might be interested in hiring you , take any credentials, with you like a resume, adn or certifications etc.,??
    just a thought?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12