Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: L.I. New York

danny x Guest
    I am looking for light commercial HVAC, and refrigeration technicians. Is there anyone looking to make a change?

danny x Guest
    I am starting to think it will be hopeless in finding someone halfway decent.

Dan

Originally posted by danny x

Dan
    If I lived in LI I would talk to you. But I live in upstate. I find it harder and harder to find *ANYONE* that is worth anything. I know of some people that are ok, but their ego gets the better of them. Then they get cocky and ask for more money than they are worth and start to get slopy to show their dispondancy. Sad sad sad..

Danny x,I live in coram (suffolk county).I ve been doing hvac work since i was about 14 yrs old.I learned the trade from my uncle and worked for him in the summers when iwas younger.This was my first summer doing strictly svc. residential mostly.But i do work on commercial as well.I never really got into low temp stuff before,though i did get a mac 6 unit pu and running about two weeks ago at a mcdonalds in roosevelt.Coil was clogged solid.I am an investment to any company that has a clue,I am epa certified,have takin classes in ref. and air cond.and several electrical classes as well.Dont use drugs,have a clean license.Im usually always in school trying to get better.Took some boiler classes last winter as well.I am currently working with a freind of mines father in law, good guy,small company though.Hes already slowing down,I have a 8yr old boy and a 10 month old girl,i need to be working these kids eat alot.For the last 12 yrs ive been an installer never had to worry about work,my uncle had work dec. jan. didnt matter.Since my uncle passed away i ve had to deal with lay offs,last year two weeks before christmas.best temp residential thank you for that.No more ,The guy iwork for now doesnt do heat,doesnt deal with builders(winter work)and doesnt do commercial.My uncle did it all.You can reach me at (631)949-1126,My name is Phil and iwould like to hear what your comp. is offering.

danny x Guest
    Hi Phil,

If you’re still interested in a job opportunity simply send an email to the address in the little red house.

Dan

Originally posted by atufano

Dan
    If I lived in LI I would talk to you. But I live in upstate. I find it harder and harder to find *ANYONE* that is worth anything. I know of some people that are ok, but their ego gets the better of them. Then they get cocky and ask for more money than they are worth and start to get slopy to show their dispondancy. Sad sad sad..

I've been looking at this site for a couple of months now, and it seems that everbody everywhere is having a hard time trying to find good help. Why don't you guys charge the customer more instead of cutting each others throat for business. It seems if you did this you would be able to pay more and be able to get better help. If everybody was to do this it's not like the customer would have a choice.

danny x Guest
    Let me clarify the position.

We service equipment from residential furnances to ice machines, to ductless min split installations.

I operate a small company, and in most instances there are no definite lines drawn between installer and service technician (unless unable to perform certain duties). Pay depends on experience and ability, and can be as high as $30 per hour plus medical, truck, and training. Spiffs are given for equipment, or planned maintenance sales. There is a comprehensive exam to have a bearing on where you stand as a technician, Level 1, 2, or 3. There is a 90 day probation period to discover if you are a good fit for the company. There are evaluation periods after to review production, warranty calls, and current understanding of equipment functionality, repair and installation. There are certain guide lines that you would have to follow such as a wearing a uniform, and keeping your general appearance neat and clean. Well, there is more but we can discuss that later.

I am looking for technicians with more than just the ability to turn wrenches, but the desire to be part of a team and top of their class.

If interested, shoot an email to the address in the little red house.

Dan

I've been looking at this site for a couple of months now, and it seems that everybody everywhere is having a hard time trying to find good help. Why don't you guys charge the customer more instead of cutting each others throat for business. It seems if you did this you would be able to pay more and be able to get better help. If everybody was to do this it's not like the customer would have a choice.
    With the rising costs of fuel/sheet metal/and equipment (the rise from 10 to 13 seer) sticker shock has set in for most residential customers and small business owners. A $2200.00 quote last year has turned into $4000.00 this year.
    When a young tech with only a year or two experience, schooling or not, sits down for an interview, they probably shouldn't look for more than 13-16 an hour considering that more seasoned techs(non-union)are getting 20+(at least in this area)
    danny x, they are out there, just takes a-lot of interviewing. We got a-lot of good techs (a few bad ones too) from hvacagent.com. Another one we have used is mepatwork.com.

After finding out our second born was also a boy, my wife asked "why are you sooooooo happy" to which I replied; "2 of those things are easier to keep up with than 20,000!"

danny x Guest
    I am a member of HVAC agent, not that there have been many job applicants, however the ones that have come through I already know about from their past or current employment at my colleagues shop. It’s a small world after all.

This is not an easy career choice; Owner or technician, I feel you must really have a love for the industry to be successful. For myself, I found it to be a thankless job. However this career is very challenging and self satisfying for me. To this day I love fixing broken machines, although not always at 11 pm, my love for the industry and desire to always learn about new machinery has been my drive that has kept me in the trade.

To this day my brother laughs (he is a 638B Steam fitter) when I talk about where I started, moping the bathroom floor, cleaning urinals, and mowing the bosses lawn at his estate in Sea Cliff for DJ and Mark at Windsor fuel in Mineola, Long Island NY. I remember begging to be a technician, and instead they put me on an oil tank abandonment crew and grounds clean up at their north shore terminal which at the time wasn’t open yet, on a side note, when not scrubbing toilets, I was in the process of getting my silver certification from NORA (it was the PMMA when I took the test). When my brother asks me why I stayed, I told him I just wanted to be a technician in the worst way.

Although I don’t know if I could go through all that again, I feel it did build a certain amount of character, and keep it in mind when the phone goes off at 11 pm.

There are other Dans out there, now if I could only find them.

P.S. toilet cleaning is not part of the job description lol

Dan

Dan

The link to your Web Site is down.

With the rising costs of fuel/sheet metal/and equipment (the rise from 10 to 13 seer) sticker shock has set in for most residential customers and small business owners. A $2200.00 quote last year has turned into $4000.00 this year.
    When a young tech with only a year or two experience, schooling or not, sits down for an interview, they probably shouldn't look for more than 13-16 an hour considering that more seasoned techs(non-union)are getting 20+(at least in this area)
    danny x, they are out there, just takes a-lot of interviewing. We got a-lot of good techs (a few bad ones too) from hvacagent.com. Another one we have used is mepatwork.com.

[/B][/QUOTE]

It is the market that dictates what an employee should be paid. If you are not finding the help you need, perhaps you are not paying enough. You get what you pay for. I don't know what it is like where you are at, but around here electricians and plumbers both make considerably more than HVAC techs. This is something that I never understood since a tech needs to know all this and then some.

danny x Guest
    Originally posted by bruce campbell
    You should be getting those job search jitters. Although I have a little further to go in school than you, I have been looking at the job market and it seems that no one will hire you unless you have at least 3 to 5 years experience. That is the way it is in the St.louis area, your area may be different. For your sake, I hope. I don't understand how you are going to get experience if no one will hire you because you have no experience. The only job that I have seen that would take on anybody with no experience payed 8 whole dollars an hour. You could probably get a job flipping burgers for that much. I don't mean to rain on your parade but that is the way that I see the situation, at least where I live. If I had known this maybe I would have went to school for something else. For what it is worth, I haven't tried to apply anywhere because like I said I am not through with school yet so I don't know if anybody would hire me or not, but these are the only jobs that I have seen advertised and I have looked in the newpapers, Americas job bank, HVAC Agent and just about every other place you could imagine. So hopefully your situation doesn't look as bad as mine, but if it is good luck, you are going to need it.

Bruce, I am just curious if you have ever asked a potential employer why you were turned down. Although it’s easy to misunderstand a message board post, I would say that you have a somewhat negative attitude about the career choice you are about to make. Why not bite the bullet "pay your dues" and once you have some field time move on to greener pastures, or join the local, or think about controls work, or perhaps peruse a different career altogether?

Dan

Edit: I just realized you haven't applied anywhere yet, give it a shot before you give up. You might find a great place to work, making the money you want to start. A truly gifted or mechanically inclined person is valuable to any company…….. green or seasoned.

[Edited by danny x on 09-08-2006 at 05:38 PM]

Originally posted by bruce campbell
    You should be getting those job search jitters. Although I have a little further to go in school than you, I have been looking at the job market and it seems that no one will hire you unless you have at least 3 to 5 years experience. That is the way it is in the St.louis area, your area may be different. For your sake, I hope. I don't understand how you are going to get experience if no one will hire you because you have no experience. The only job that I have seen that would take on anybody with no experience payed 8 whole dollars an hour. You could probably get a job flipping burgers for that much. I don't mean to rain on your parade but that is the way that I see the situation, at least where I live. If I had known this maybe I would have went to school for something else. For what it is worth, I haven't tried to apply anywhere because like I said I am not through with school yet so I don't know if anybody would hire me or not, but these are the only jobs that I have seen advertised and I have looked in the newpapers, Americas job bank, HVAC Agent and just about every other place you could imagine. So hopefully your situation doesn't look as bad as mine, but if it is good luck, you are going to need it.

Bruce, I am just curious if you have ever asked a potential employer why you were turned down. Although it’s easy to misunderstand a message board post, I would say that you have a somewhat negative attitude about the career choice you are about to make. Why not bite the bullet "pay your dues" and once you have some field time move on to greener pastures, or join the local, or think about controls work, or perhaps peruse a different career altogether?

Dan

Edit: I just realized you haven't applied anywhere yet, give it a shot before you give up. You might find a great place to work, making the money you want to start. A truly gifted or mechanically inclined person is valuable to any company…….. green or seasoned.

[Edited by danny x on 09-08-2006 at 05:38 PM]

It's not that I have a negative attitude, it's just that I am afraid that after all this time going to school that when I get done I will not be able to find a job that pays worth a damn. The only job that I have seen advertised for someone with no experience was 8 dollars an hour. Every other job that I have seen wants 3 to 5 years experience. I think that if someone spends two years going to school they should be able to find a job that pays more than that, whether or not they have experience. What really bothers me is if I can't find a decent paying job I will be forced to do the very thing that I have been trying to avoid, and that is go back to factory work. Any advice?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast