Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: copper bye bye

Went to the drug store tonight. Right next to the front door is a water vending machine. Has about 15 ft of copper water supply and about 3 ft is brand spanking shinny new. I'm guessing its gone by morning

We've got a house at the rough in stage that we've had to replace the copper lineset 3 times in. The electricians have had to replace their wiring twice. I cant believe some of these homebuilders are so cheap as to not take some kind of prevention to this.

Originally posted by hvacokc
    We've got a house at the rough in stage that we've had to replace the copper lineset 3 times in. The electricians have had to replace their wiring twice. I cant believe some of these homebuilders are so cheap as to not take some kind of prevention to this.
    Makes you wonder who would want to live there when its done. A likely tenant would be the thief who is on welfare and getting housing assistance.

They've been hitting the scrap-yards around here. Some time ago one of them had a Rotty guard and someone shot it with a crossbow to get to the copper.

Wire missing off lines, copper roofs being lifted...
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2’.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

here in Detroit, they cut the condensing unit from the house, live charge in the lines, in broad day light.

Never seen much theft around here of scrap metal. Yet...
    Give it time though and it'll be here.

I can see it now... get high off the freon (mouth recovery), then jack the unit.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

VETO PRO PAC, The Official Tool Bag of HVAC-Talk.com

Testo... you guys rule!

The scrappers around here hit new houses out in the country where there aren't so many eyes watching. What are builders supposed to do about that? It isn't that hard to get into these houses, a crowbar to the door and they are in. About the only thing builders can do is guard dogs and gun towers.
    I am the "Wally". All others are meer imitations of the original.

Originally posted by Dowadudda
    here in Detroit, they cut the condensing unit from the house, live charge in the lines, in broad day light.
    This is how you know its time to upgrade to a 13 seer.
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2’.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

A local teachers kid was stealing wire from Pivots

Its HUGE like 1-1/4" dia copper to run all those motors on each set of wheels. 1 gal driving the pickup, 2 guys cutting wire and throwin it in. All going to the butt motel for a few years [felony x 10] because of the replacement cost. Mom quit her job and moving out of town. All for free pot. Dumassed kids.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

My favorite is hearing about the scrappers that thought stealing high voltage lines off the poles was a good idea....

Who said evolution is not true, because I darwins theory of "survival of the fittest" in full effect on that one....

Plus here in Oregon, the tweakers have been caught stealing peices off bridges!!

We have seen existing neighborhoods where they would go house to house, kill the disconnects, and cut the whips with a hacksaw right at the connectors. Package heat pumps mostly with 10-15 KW aux. so a pretty good piece of copper, especially if they hit about 20 houses in a row.
    Somebody's gonna get killed.
    With a gun.

We just replaced the copper on a residential split system this week. Copper had been stolen, from under the house. Also stole the plumbing copper.

These people should be shot in the town square, if caught.

Richard

Seems like siphoning gas would be easier money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast