Hey guys I wonder if I could get some advise on a possible move to Florida. The bottom just dropped out of a ten year relationship for me, I'm wanting to be done with Pittsburgh for a while and get to more favorable weather conditions....and make some real money as a service tech.

I want to get the HVAC guy outlook on the state of the buisness down there, the best areas to move to, and the overall "is it a good idea" on it. I'm thinking Fort Meyers area because my Grandmother lives in that vicinity but I'm totally open for ideas.

My interest really lies in large refrigeration systems, supermarkets. If I could get a company or two to send a resume to that would be great.

One thing I was wondering though, can I join a union down there right off the jump, or do I have to be a resident for some time? I'm trying to make some significant carreer advances here, now's one of the few times ya get to make a big jump.

I should mention that have 6 years in the biz, all the nates except oil heat, and can provide outstanding recomendations from all of my previous employers, co workers and teachers. I'm a hard working carreer driven guy and will have no problem proving it. I bring this up to clarify the path I intend on taking....the job leads I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance for any help I get here this is a big deal and I appreciate it.

Brian
    Guinness for strength

greenears:

How about the Miami area?
    If you are intersested, call (or email me) me at the office tomorrow.
    #'s in the cred's.

Now don't you go listening to them other guys from Florida

Thanks arpa. I've pretty much ruled out Miami and Orlando. I've been to both and man, just too busy for me. Actually, Pittsburgh's even too busy and it's got nothin on Miami.

What I really Loved was Sarasota. I've been there a few times and it's perfect, that's the type of area I'm looking to get into. Then again it doubled in size every time I visited, no telling what it's like now.
    Guinness for strength

Greenears,

Good luck on your move! The pay sucks down here, but you're never more than 70 miles from saltwater no matter where in Florida you are. There is no state income tax here.

Greenears, I'm in Naples just south of Ft Myers. When I was in service I worked some in Ft Myers and mostly in Naples. The pay down here is not great, it really depends on you experience and skill level. If your thinking of staying on the southwest coast forget about union. Unions are pretty much non existant in Florida, there are a few but not around here. If you are serious about moving to this area e mail me, I may have a couple of leads for you. Use my gmail address, it's justanotherworkhorse@ well you figure the rest.

Shane

Like the others said...we are a right to work state....non union...or as we say "you get pain in sunshine"....finding a ac job should be no problem....its hot and we need cooling but if ur comeing from a union or union wage job get ready to have a hart attack when ur offered under $20 an hour.....how much under 20 depends on experience ..if u have your own tools and stuff like that.
    73% of Americans say that illegal immigration is a problem. The other 27% say, "No habla inglis!"

Yikes. this is aparently going to need some re-evaluation, I have spent some time confirming this on the net too. I had heard before that tech's do very well there, my mother just sent a site that shows that not to be the case at all.

I have been dead set for over a month on this being my next move but now that I'm agressively starting to plot the course, it's not looking like such a good idea.

It has been my goal to end up out there for 10 years now, too. Guess I might need a "where to move" thread....I have three months to be out of this appartment.

Thanks anyway guys....
    Brian
    Guinness for strength

The grass always looks sunnier on the other side of the fence, greenears.