Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I use my rose bud tip on the big stuff. So quick and easy. I use my turbo on resi or small stuff. Esp if i have to do alot of walking or climbing. OA is great once you get good with it. Turbo torch has a great torch tote for B tanks. It even has wheels.
    www.mcleanair.com

"It was working until it quit."

My current employer provides only diluted acetylene (no oxygen tank and I don't know what it's diluted with) for brazing, and this is my first encounter with it. The torch attaches by reinforced hose to a regulator that mounts to the tank, needs a striker to light, and I've no idea what the brand or style is b/c all the lettering was worn off by the guy I replaced. I've previously worked for people that insisted on only soft solder w/ turbo torch or brazing w/ oxy/ace. While it gets a large section of copper hellishly hot at only a moderate pace and multiple cold wet rags are necessary to protect valves and TXV, the joints end up very strong with minimal mess and no time spent cleaning/fluxing fittings (unless the fitting is gross or corroded). We have enjoyed a high success rate with this method.

Quote Originally Posted by jamessnevets View Post
    My current employer provides only diluted acetylene (no oxygen tank and I don't know what it's diluted with) for brazing, and this is my first encounter with it.
    Mapp gas?

Quote Originally Posted by truck12 View Post
    Mapp gas?
    I'll ask my supplier. Never wondered until today when I wrote the post.

i use both
    prefer turbo for most work but when the job requires a guich heat and pinpoint heat i use ox ac
    use turbo with a small tank easy to carry arround and up amd down oxy set up is bulky and heavy and hate carring it up to an attice or roof

Quote Originally Posted by jamessnevets View Post
    the joints end up very strong with minimal mess and no time spent cleaning/fluxing fittings (unless the fitting is gross or corroded).
    When brazing you should still be cleaning the joints the same as if soldering, even with new copper, just without the step of adding flux.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

www.mcleanair.com

"It was working until it quit."

Quote Originally Posted by NCHeat View Post
    If I'm doing a repair in a coil or other tight spot I use oxy/acet. b/c I can control heat much better. If I'm doing an install I use my b-tank and turbotorch. (always flow nitro)
    Same here...

i wish my company provided us with Oxy/Acet for brazing, they just provide us with a B and MC tank and we have to get a turbo torch setup, I like my turbo torch for soldering but I was much more comfortable using Oxy/Acet for brazing in the past. Turbo torch just takes too long for the joints to heat up properly. Some of our installers buy their own but way too much money for me.

I only have the opportunity to use acetylene. I use heat absorbing gel spray around sensitive and flammable equipment.

Hot 'n fast.....

Fun= replace large tonnage tev with big distributor.

Hot 'n fast....

acetylene B tank. Actually Those little Mapp gas tanks and a good tip will braze anything I generally do. Even 7/8 is no problem really.

Personal preference for most of it. I filled my B tank about 15 years ago and it is still over half full, I hate it. It is slow, crazy swirling big flame..can't stand it. Oxy/acet is faster, and I have much more control of heat and flame size. Most everyone around here uses oxy-acet. My students must start with B tank and turbo torch then move to oxy/acet. They usually get their panties in a wad for having to use the B tank.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast