Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Brazing techniques

What does everyone use for brazing torches? My new boss swears by oxy acetylene but ive always used a turbo torch with an appropriate tip. I figure as long as i do a nitrogen flow while brazing torch selection is a personal preference. thoughts?

If I'm doing a repair in a coil or other tight spot I use oxy/acet. b/c I can control heat much better. If I'm doing an install I use my b-tank and turbotorch. (always flow nitro)

It's ideal to get the braze joint hot as quick as possible so heat doesn't transfer. It's possible with oxy/acetylene to complete a braze joint on a service valve before the valve itself gets hot. Theres time to shut the torch off and grab a wet rag to cool it before the heat transfers to it. You just can't do that with a turbo torch. So think about brazing other components like reversing valves.

I guess if you're just an installer a turbo torch is ok, but if you need to change out brazed in parts you're going to burn a lot of stuff up. Fighting something with a wet rag wrapped around it doesn't work. You need to heat the joint quick, braze it, cool down it down before the component gets too hot.

If the person has limited experience piping and the pipes are small (like to 3/4 od) they will have a better joint with a Turbo as the heat is more dissipated over the fitting. A person with experience probably wont care what they are given to work with. Aside from the noise I like using a Turbo on small stuff but on TXV's or reversing valves the Turbo has too large of a footprint and burns more than intended.
    A problem with oxy/acc on small stuff is overheating the joint and boiling the silver causing pin holes. It's ez to over heat small pipes. Many leaks with silver are due to this.
    I've had other techs wonder why I use my cutting head on my torch for larger fittings. The reason is the flame has a larger spread and acts a little like a combination oxy/acc and Turbo together, or a large multi port. Sucks the silver into the fitting better than a regular tip. Also very fast. Try it I think you'll find it useful.
    Someone had a good tip on soldering service valves. Remove the cap and fill with water. The valve will not heat up over the temp of boiling water. Works way better than a rag.
    Tracers work both ways.

thanks for the replies. Im swapping an evaporator and adding a txv to a 2 ton res. system tomorrow and im going to use the oxy setup. I have done a couple repairs where a smaller and hotter flame wouldve helped everything go smoother.

I like turbo for most stuff but there are some times you need oxy

Turbo torches are for plumbers!
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

We installed 10 heatcraft evaporators on a cooks line in a restaurant. the first time we burned the valves, solenoids, and coils in with turbo torches. The next time we did it we used oxy acc. with rose bud tips and it cut our time in half.

Oxy/Ace is also the only way to go if you have any wind outside.
    I was trained with an Oxy/Ace rig. I've never owned a turbo torch head. The only time it's a pain is when you have to drag it across an attic.

Years ago I found this stuff called Hot Damm. It's the best reusable heat sink on the market!

~smoke~
    "That motor's done, he let the factory smoke charge out!"

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    Turbo torches are for plumbers!
    I am a plumber

Used the oxy rig today it made a big difference. Cleaner joints and it went alot quicker, I will be using oxy acetylene from now on. thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by smoke View Post
    Oxy/Ace is also the only way to go if you have any wind outside.
    I was trained with an Oxy/Ace rig. I've never owned a turbo torch head. The only time it's a pain is when you have to drag it across an attic.

Years ago I found this stuff called Hot Damm. It's the best reusable heat sink on the market!

~smoke~
    Can you still get that stuff (Hot Damm)?
    Have'nt seen it in a long time, used it years ago with a guy when I was first learning the trade.
    Will have to google it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Man In The Desert View Post
    The next time we did it we used oxy acc. with rose bud tips and it cut our time in half.
    For brazing refrigerant lines in, I use the same rosebud tip from 5/16 all the way up to 1 5/8 copper.

I like the rosebud tip because I can get full capillary action around a 1 1/8" joint very quickly, just a couple of inches away from where I have my Thermo-Trap, and/or wet shop towel protecting a TXV bulb or service valve.

Most people I've worked with are afraid to use it though.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast