Hybrid View

No Cooling on my Day Off....

So Saturday morning my boss phones me and gives me an address. Tells me it's a 20 ton Carrier RTU new account.

I said "cool " easy money.

This is what I find.

It's a 1985 Carrier 20 ton package unit. Actually they're not difficult to trouble shoot but good luck getting those relays on a Saturday....or any day. I quit carrying spares 10 years ago.

Luckily there was a "derelict" twin right next to it that I borrowed a couple of parts off of to get this heap back online.

Rip it out and start over
    Saddle Up!

That's not always practical.

I used to work on a lot of those big Carrier RTU's so I'm pretty familiar with them. They usually don't have the original wiring diagram so I pity the fool that comes across these units that's " new " in the field.

You said it. I inherited 85 of those carriers and they all look like that inside. So old the color tracing on the wires are all the same now. Black.

No Cooling on my Day Off....
    I spent yesterday working on the ol' ladies house in Wisconsin Dells. Got back to Chicago last night at 9:00. Neighbors son is pulling in the driveway same time I am. "The a/c is not working. Why does it only break in the summer?" (this is coming from a scientist of some sort.) I acknowledge him and walk inside my house. I had to wake up this morning at 3:00 for a fishing tournament. Get home at 3:00 this afternoon and it's 95 degrees outside. As soon as I pull in the driveway the mother comes out, I barely made it out of my truck, and gives me a sob story. WTF 95 inside too LOL. F'in siding guys disconnected the low voltage wiring to the condensing unit when they replaced the siding, and never reconnected it.
    Sorry had to rant
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    I spent yesterday working on the ol' ladies house in Wisconsin Dells. Got back to Chicago last night at 9:00. Neighbors son is pulling in the driveway same time I am. "The a/c is not working. Why does it only break in the summer?" (this is coming from a scientist of some sort.) I acknowledge him and walk inside my house. I had to wake up this morning at 3:00 for a fishing tournament. Get home at 3:00 this afternoon and it's 95 degrees outside. As soon as I pull in the driveway the mother comes out, I barely made it out of my truck, and gives me a sob story. WTF 95 inside too LOL. F'in siding guys disconnected the low voltage wiring to the condensing unit when they replaced the siding, and never reconnected it.
    Sorry had to rant
    Did you fix it?, and more importantly, did you charge accordingly?

Yeah, I fixed it. I charged accordingly. They pay...but sloooooooow...
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them