Unhappy

We have a three year old Lennox HS26-048-5P that is not working. The tech informed us that there is a hole in the coil and it needs to be replaced. The coil is covered under warranty, but labor to install will be about $430.

As someone who knows nothing about this kind of stuff, I have 2 questions:

1. Does the labor charge sound reasonable?

2. What might cause a hole in a 3 year old coil? The tech said all inside and outside parts of the unit were clean and in good condition.

Thanks for any help you can give me. I live on the Southern tip of Texas, where it is about 99 degrees right now!!

I can't comment on the labor charge as the things greatly differ from area to area.

As for the coil it is very possible that the copper tubing inside the coil had a weak spot when it came from the factory and 3 years of being subjected to the weather and heating and cooling down could have ruptured the weak spot. It could have been rubbing against something the wrong way. A bird could have flown headlong into it. Any scenario is possible. I wouldn't discredit the technician at all. These things happen. As far as the pricing goes I would suggest calling other companies and ask what they charge for such a thing.

Thank you!

I didn't mean to imply that the tech was wrong if it came across that way. I am just new to the area and not familliar with central a/c units at all.

You are welcome. Feel free to post any other questions you have as there are many good HVAC Profesionals that are here answering questions. It's always good to ask if you are unsure.

Originally posted by snarla
    We have a three year old Lennox HS26-048-5P that is not working. The tech informed us that there is a hole in the coil and it needs to be replaced. The coil is covered under warranty, but labor to install will be about $430.

As someone who knows nothing about this kind of stuff, I have 2 questions:

1. Does the labor charge sound reasonable?

not allowed to discuss pricing, but that ain't bad.

2. What might cause a hole in a 3 year old coil? The tech said all inside and outside parts of the unit were clean and in good condition.

machines built by humans, stuff happens.

Thanks for any help you can give me. I live on the Southern tip of Texas, where it is about 99 degrees right now!!

If you do check prices, remember cheaper is not necessarily better, your paying for the quality you're getting. There are always shortcuts that can be taken to reduce the price that will come back to haunt you later.

The dealer we selected is a "premier dealer" for Lennox. Does this necessarily indicate better quality of installation? It also says it employs NATE technicians. I'm not sure if all of them there are though.

Thanks.

premier dealer means they paid for the honor. nate cert means they have some shot of getting it right but no guarantee.

Is there anything else quick and simple I can ask to figure out if this dealer is good?

I can't spend too much time because we've already been w/o a/c for 4 days, I have a baby in the house, and it's getting difficult living in the one room with the window unit we bought.

Thank you.

Maybe a better question...Are there any dealers in the Rio Grande Valley, TX area you would particulary recommend?

Thanks.