+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 51 Seconds to 500 Microns

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jim bergmann View Post
    The hoses are Appion hoses and are very flexible for 1/2" hoses. The 6' length makes the whole thing easy to set up and manage.
    The 6' Appion 1/2" hoses are as flexible as the 5' 3/8" black yellowjackets I have but they are harder to manage in most situations because they weight twice as much. Plus the two 3/8 on my pump pulls the full 7 cfm through the 1/4" connections.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    Nice job Jim. I use the Yellow jacket tree with 3/8 hoses and core tools. I use a 3rd core tool to protect my micron guage.
    Doug

Post Likes
    Some clarifying questions:

1) Would it not be better, less leak chances, to have the hoses connect to the pump with a brass connection, like a tee or manifold(tree not not gauge)?

2) you did release the nitrogen before attaching the had gauge, correct? I thought I heard something like "I do not want to expose the BluVac to these pressures".

3) at the end you closed the CRT ball valves and released the liquid side service valve to put a positive pressure in the lines to keep air from getting in due to it being in a vacuum, correct? If yes, then do all the hose ends that are not low loss allow air in or were you just being extra cautious, why ruin all that work?
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Jim, I also would be interested in buying the bag, and parts bin with just the flare plugs and tee. I already have the hoses, CRT's (both 1/4 and 5/16) and a tree built into my pump.
    Hi, my name is Glenn, and I'm a Toolaholic!

Post Likes
    I pretty much have this setup and it is totally worth the investment! I have the appion crts and they rock, have the appion hoses 1/4" to 3/8", connect them to a yellow jacket vacuum tree and I'm all set up. Used it today, and immediately knew there was a leak, wouldn't pull down past 17000. Also have the blu-vac, totally worth it, you can watch exactly whats happening, that accurate. Helper brazed outside and left a leak on the ll side. Fixed the leak and immediately pulled down to about 170 microns and held about 250. Never been so sure about having a leak free system before I picked this up, so happy I did!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    Some clarifying questions:

1) Would it not be better, less leak chances, to have the hoses connect to the pump with a brass connection, like a tee or manifold(tree not not gauge)?

2) you did release the nitrogen before attaching the had gauge, correct? I thought I heard something like "I do not want to expose the BluVac to these pressures".

3) at the end you closed the CRT ball valves and released the liquid side service valve to put a positive pressure in the lines to keep air from getting in due to it being in a vacuum, correct? If yes, then do all the hose ends that are not low loss allow air in or were you just being extra cautious, why ruin all that work?
    1) We did use a tee, and it is better when you only have two points that need connected like in residential work. If this was for commercial, (over 10 tons) the Appion Megaflow kit would be a better pick. Typically on larger systems you can also connect at the receiver, discharge line, suction service port and possibly other places.

2) I released the nitrogen down to about 1-2 psi so air and moisture could not work its way back into the system. When I cracked open the core tools I was making sure that I did not overload the pump. The reason I mentioned pressure is a lot of other vacuum gauges are not pressure rated. BluVac is, and it will not be contaminated if used properly.

3) At the end, I cracked the suction service valve slowly to allow the refrigerant to pressurize the system before removing the vacuum gauge. No air can get into the system, only refrigerant can leak out at this point when making connections. Before you would charge the system, you would need to purge your manifold hoses. Many a system is contaminated by poor service practices.
    JLB,

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Harrison View Post
    Jim, I also would be interested in buying the bag, and parts bin with just the flare plugs and tee. I already have the hoses, CRT's (both 1/4 and 5/16) and a tree built into my pump.
    I will put up a "build your own vacuum kit" for the parts. I am guessing there are a few techs who have most/some of the parts that would just like to purchase the pieces they need to make a complete kit.
    JLB,

Post Likes
    That would be awesome, Jim. Judging by all the talk on here, I'm sure MANY techs have the hoses and CRT's
    Hi, my name is Glenn, and I'm a Toolaholic!

Post Likes
    I will put up a "build your own vacuum kit" for the parts. I am guessing there are a few techs who have most/some of the parts that would just like to purchase the pieces they need to make a complete kit.
    Please do!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    I like to bleed/purge the CRT a bit before installing the core too......the air trapped as you're screwing on the end of the CRT (between the ball valve and end cap) is probably more than you can introduce removing the vac. gauge while the system is in a vacuum.

cool setup! thanks for taking the time!

Post Likes
    1) We did use a tee, and it is better when you only have two points that need connected like in residential work. If this was for commercial, (over 10 tons) the Appion Megaflow kit would be a better pick. Typically on larger systems you can also connect at the receiver, discharge line, suction service port and possibly other places.
    here's my tree setup. allows flexibility for number of ports. double flare fitting connects directly to Robinair port. then add T or four way male flare fitting.

Post Likes
    I guess what I meant by tree was the Yellow Jacket or a fitting directly off the vac pump, just trying to eliminate possible leak points.

Thanks
    Last edited by pacnw; 06-10-2012 at 11:59 AM. Reason: auto spell check not on same page as my thought
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Post Likes
    Per the few requests, I rebuild the kit as an option kit.

http://www.trutechtools.com/RapidEvac
    JLB,

Post Likes
    CV,
    It would help to polish those fittings ends as far as a good vacuum seal. You might also try to assemble it with some Nylog.

I had a collection of parts like that also I carried for years.
    JLB,

Post Likes
    Typically, I don't like these kind of video's but you did a good job. I don't like the flexable tree but that's my taste. I have two solid multi-tap trees that I can use off of my vacuum pump.

I try to find or create a third tap point for connecting my vacuum gauge as far away from the vacuum pump as possible just as a security blanket for me.

Good video, good instructions and good equipment......but everything is just too clean including you. Next video roll in some mud or something so you will look more like us!

Thanks
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaT View Post
    Typically, I don't like these kind of video's but you did a good job. I don't like the flexable tree but that's my taste. I have two solid multi-tap trees that I can use off of my vacuum pump.

I try to find or create a third tap point for connecting my vacuum gauge as far away from the vacuum pump as possible just as a security blanket for me.

Good video, good instructions and good equipment......but everything is just too clean including you. Next video roll in some mud or something so you will look more like us!

Thanks
    I am glad you like the video, It was not intended to be one of "Those types of videos" I not only co-own TruTech, but I am also a full time instructor at Cuyahoga Valley Career Center in Brecksville. I spend a lot of time on TruTech Tools trying to make it as much of a training resource as a place to buy tools. A lot of technicians have the same problems when it comes to evacuation.

1) The amount of time it takes
    2) Managing leaks
    3) Getting consistent results
    4) Understanding how to use a micron gauge and what it tells you

The "flexible tree eliminates a lot of mechanical connections and a ball valve that are typically in a vacuum tree. I have a simple brass tree and it has 6 potential leak points. Using a brass tee and a hose knocks it down to three.

I agree with you on having the micron gauge as far from the pump as possible when you are able to do that. On a typical residential system though there are only two service ports making the core tool the ideal place to make the connection. When the core tools are closed and the hoses isolated, you now only are reading vacuum on the line set an the evaporator coil. The brass connection between the micron gauge and the core tool is not gas permeable so the system should stabilize in a few minutes to get an accurate indication of vacuum.

I will consider getting dirtier, it took me the last 10 years as in instructor to get most of it off.
    JLB,

Post Likes
    I am glad you like the video, It was not intended to be one of "Those types of videos" I not only co-own TruTech, but I am also a full time instructor at Cuyahoga Valley Career Center in Brecksville. I spend a lot of time on TruTech Tools trying to make it as much of a training resource as a place to buy tools. A lot of technicians have the same problems when it comes to evacuation.

1) The amount of time it takes
    2) Managing leaks
    3) Getting consistent results
    4) Understanding how to use a micron gauge and what it tells you

The "flexible tree eliminates a lot of mechanical connections and a ball valve that are typically in a vacuum tree. I have a simple brass tree and it has 6 potential leak points. Using a brass tee and a hose knocks it down to three. What about just a fitting right on the pump, MPT x flare x flare. Would't that be the best?

I agree with you on having the micron gauge as far from the pump as possible when you are able to do that. On a typical residential system though there are only two service ports making the core tool the ideal place to make the connection. When the core tools are closed and the hoses isolated, you now only are reading vacuum on the line set an the evaporator coil. The brass connection between the micron gauge and the core tool is not gas permeable so the system should stabilize in a few minutes to get an accurate indication of vacuum.

I will consider getting dirtier, it took me the last 10 years as in instructor to get most of it off.

Post Likes
    Yes it would be but I've gotten a lot of resistance about removing that fitting from the pump. They are in tight and some are afraid they will crack fittings. This is a nice bolt on solution.
    JLB,

Post Likes
    CV,
    It would help to polish those fittings ends as far as a good vacuum seal. You might also try to assemble it with some Nylog.

I had a collection of parts like that also I carried for years.
    thanks for recommending Nylog.. that's some neat looking stuff

Post Likes
    FWIW I pulled a vacuum on my small 30# recovery tank today three different ways
    after a few pulls to clear it out I timed using.....

1. 3/8 YJ hose with 3/8x1/4 fitting on the liquid valve and 3/8 YJ hose with 3/8x1/4 fitting to the vapor valve. connections went directly to my JB7cfm

2. 1/2 Appion hose with 3/8x1/4 fitting on the vapor valve and the same 3/8 YJ hose on the liquid valve. Both hoses directly to my pump.

I did each way twice (YJ,YJ)-(A,YJ)-(A,YJ)-(YJ,YJ) in this order.

1. pulled the tank down to 25000 microns in 0:49sec. and 4:45 min to 500 microns.

2. pulled the tank down to 25000 microns in 0:47sec. and 2:46 min to 500 microns and in 4:00 min. went down to 270 microns.

3. The last one 4S&G's I did a YJ TitanII that I pulled the restrictive stainless steel mesh out of each port. Had 2- 3Ft 1/4" hoses with the core depressor in like you would have for regular service to the wide open liquid and vapor valves on the tank and one 3/8 hose with 3/8x3/8 fittings to the 3/8 port on the manifold and 3/8 on the pump.

3. pulled the tank down to 25000 microns in 1:00min. and 16:00 mins. to 500 microns.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in